Sign in to follow this  
RADSURF

Long Way Up

Just saw the first episode of Long Way Up.  Looks to be a pretty interesting challenge doing this on an electric bike.  But of course when you got the kind of money they have to pull this off it’s no where near impressive as those who do this on their own.  Besides I’m just watching to see the scenery as I doubt I will ever be able to do a trip like this in my lifetime.

You have to do this once in your live. Not around the world, but 2-6 months on the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

You have to do this once in your live. Not around the world, but 2-6 months on the road.

Plenty to see in the USA to stay busy that long.  
I watched the first episode, very interesting that they talked about reducing their carbon footprint....seems like they could have not even done the trip to reduce it completely!  
Also didn’t know they sent a team ahead to install a charging network.

10 hours ago, tntmo said:

Plenty to see in the USA to stay busy that long.  
I watched the first episode, very interesting that they talked about reducing their carbon footprint....seems like they could have not even done the trip to reduce it completely!  
Also didn’t know they sent a team ahead to install a charging network.

Like I said, you don't need to go all the way around. You already did the most any way in a more save way.

I'm loving the show.  But mostly because I like the entertainment of interaction between Charlie, Ewan and the team.  I also really like the video's produced by Ed on his CT90.  I have no interest in doing what either of these people are doing, but I sure enjoy the challenge they are all presented with.  Good entertainment.  As for LWU carbon footprint?  Gotta be huge.  But I don't need to 'justify' the show or the journey to enjoy it.

I'm really liking Charlie's Race to Dakar series on Netflix right now too.

Good stuff!  Fun to see moto related content that both the wife and I can enjoy together.  Although she is quite pissed at Ewan for f&%#ing up his family so badly.

3 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Like I said, you don't need to go all the way around. You already did the most any way in a more save way.

I keep thinking I'll eventually do a real long distance ride some day like you describe.  I've done a lot of 1 or 2 week stuff.  3 weeks is my longest (I think). But trips like that usually include a few days here or there seeing family along the way.  I'm sure I'll eventually do Alaska just because you kind of have to at some point.  But I'd like to have 4 weeks for that and I'm not that free yet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zubb said:

I keep thinking I'll eventually do a real long distance ride some day like you describe.  I've done a lot of 1 or 2 week stuff.  3 weeks is my longest (I think). But trips like that usually include a few days here or there seeing family along the way.  I'm sure I'll eventually do Alaska just because you kind of have to at some point.  But I'd like to have 4 weeks for that and I'm not that free yet.

One day, you will be there. Lets hold the fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I just start thinking of a EUROPE trip. Alp Hopping with a little north Germany, old est Germany, down to Hungary, Bulgarian and then the Alps. 8000 -9000Km in 6 -8 weeks.

Capture.JPG

Capture2nd.JPG

Capture3rd.JPG

Capture4th.JPG

7 hours ago, Zubb said:

Alaska is definitely on my bucket list!  Just have to retire first!  As much as I would love to do a trip similar to Long Way Up I don’t think I want to make that investment plus it’s not something I’d want to do solo.  I think I’d rather spend the money on an European adventure as I feel way more connected to there than South America.

My wife and I did the French/Italian Alps over 3 weeks last year in June on two rented 125 Vespas.  Rented them there and did a large loop.  Climbing the Alps stressed them out immensely, but they made it.  I pulled over to let them cool off due to the clutch slipping only once.  At times while climbing the Alps we reached neck breaking speeds of 5 mph at the tops.  Rentals are typically $50.00 to $60.00 per day per bike.  We find that slow travel is the way to see the sights on small roads.  Top speed is 50 mph.   Typical speed is 20 to 30 mph.  Alps are a must see.  Run them the entire length is my interest next time.  Rent BMW 800's in Romania for a lower cost and return them in 2-4 weeks.

Laurie Nice FR Mtn.jpg

A gray beard once told me, "If you wait for everything to be just right or perfect before doing anything, you will never be ready." I paraphrased my quote.

Waiting for retirement, waiting for x, y or z... you might find that life.... real life, not work... passes you by.

As for electric vehicles.... they aren't zero emissions. Somewhere in the manufacturing and shipping process fuel was burned. And, depending on the energy source when charging, fuel could be burning to make that electrical energy your battery needs.

Finally, I do enjoy Ewan and Charlie on motorcycles...... if only Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond made a motorcycle trek. Their Top Gear and Grand Tour Specials are epic with breath taking cinematography and they are funny to watch fight, bicker and sabotage each other.

• Like 1