dirt dame

The El Dorado fire

The Eldorado fire started near Yucaipa/Oak Glen area on September 5th, during a gender reveal party, where somebody thought it would be cute to use a pyrotechnic smoke bomb that ultimately malfunctioned and started the blaze.  The fire roared north towards the San Bernardinos, where it was finally slowed at highway 38 at Angelus Oaks by fire crews.  They seem to be holding the line so far, and hopefully the blaze won't get on the northwest side of the road.  Fire retardant has been air dropped onto properties on the northwest side.  Sadly, one fire fighter fell victim to the fire so far.  As the fire becomes more contained, now over 66%, I hope that both remaining forest and humans will be spared.  This area is practically like a second home to me, for the amount of time I spend up there every year.  I can only imagine how devastated the area will look when they finally put the fire out.  Meanwhile, I have heard that flatlanders continue to stream up the open highways  with their camping trailers and dirt bikes in tow, even though public access has been closed to the forest roads and campgrounds.  I guess people have no common sense about anything.  It shouldn't even have to said to stay off the mountain at  this time.  There are only two major highways up there, and one of those is already closed.  If the west stretch of the 18 were to be closed, the only way anybody could get off the mountain in the event of an evacuation would be the east side of the 18 into the desert.  Below is a recent fire map and a picture that somebody took from a cabin porch in Fawnskin,  looking south across Big Bear lake.

El_Dorado_Fire_1144_pm_PDT_Sept_14_2020_
119846535_2625070394368114_3558145118724

• Sad 1

Holy crap, that would be scary as s**t to be up there! Someone at dog park showed me a screenshot of the device going off. They were in a field of dry grass/weeds! It’s  really a shame. 

Like I said before. Human without common sense, start the most wildfires.

Update:  The fire is at 74% containment.  The fire crews have so far held the line against the fire sweeping the the northern side of the 38, so all those homes and ranches are still there, as are our many forest road routes that we love to ride.  Unfortunately, a fire fighter, Charlie Morton lost his life on the 17th of September while battling the blaze.  I hope this terrible tragedy will soon be over, and if weather and current conditions prevail, it most likely will.

Happily, the fire is now 92% contained, and on its way to be being totally defeated.☺️

120287942_3594571667240008_7057830131795

• Like 2

Highway 38 is now open to through traffic.  Now we wait for conditions to be right to open the forest routes back up.

• Like 1

They finally opened the San Bernardino forest yesterday with some restrictions.

From the SBNF FB page:

It’s time to make the announcement many of you have been waiting for. When will the Forest reopen? The answer is today!
But… there will be some prohibitions, as fire danger remains present.
- Camping is only allowed in a small number of developed campgrounds. Dispersed camping and camping at Yellow Post Sites, for example, will not be allowed at this time.
- For those camping at the open sites, campfires will not be allowed, including propane campfire rings/pits. Propane stoves and lanterns will be allowed.
- Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the forest, including developed campgrounds and recreation sites.
- The San Gorgonio Wilderness, its inbound trails and associated parking lots (including Big Falls and Falls Picnic Area) will remain closed due to the El Dorado Fire, which still has active smoke and flame in areas (a 100-acre interior spot is burning today). Crews remain throughout the wilderness working on the fire.
- Other areas effected by the El Dorado Fire will also remain closed, including Thurman Flats Picnic Area and the adjacent Forest Service creekbed area, a portion of the Santa Ana River Trail and Thomas Hunting Grounds Road (1N12).
- The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) will be closed between Black Mountain Road (4S01) and Snow Creek Village due to the Snow Fire.
- All other closures and prohibitions that were in effect before the full forest closure remain in place, such as the Aztec Falls closure and the recent introduction of permits for some wilderness areas.
For open/closed statuses on specific sites, please visit their individual pages.
  • Like 1