Ya know it’s only  a couple times a year Mrs Zubb says hey why don’t we go for a ride today. So when I discarded her old lid last week because it had aged out, we went to Cyclegear to get a new one ‘just in case’ she ever wanted to ride again. 
So this morning she noticed I was particularly grumpy (about the state of the union) and said let’s go. 
God bless our mates that help us get both feet back on the ground. 
I took almost no pics. But we had a great time. 

besides, I needed to scrub in the new RallZ in prep for fall/winter shenanigans. 
C3847DC5-6032-4D8B-BD75-B8C12C67210D.thumb.jpeg.cd2852adb41a352e932b75b5194f9661.jpeg

and I needed to do an actual ride in the new KKP.  
38CA602D-C953-4DB2-9B1D-55DDCFB9E244.thumb.jpeg.48118e320aa6715b4d8c3b4cc63760a5.jpeg

if you’re wondering... the Transitions lens is the F’n bomb. The lightness and comfort is unparalleled. Doubt I’ll ever put the XD4 on my head again. 
And that chin strap. Friggen  brilliant. 

and while we’re at it. ... the Cardo pacTalk bold just might be a Sena killer. More testing needed to confirm. Extremely cool software. Voice control everything!

We left La Mesa via 8 East to 67 north  and funny thing is, after the first two motorcyclists and I exchanged waves.... I started to feel a lot better about the world around me.  

So we rode up through Ramona, old Julian Highway and turned left at Santa Ysabel. Decided to finally check out the Hideout because ... why not. 
17C684C6-EB5F-414E-BFD7-ED66A6DCFD6F.thumb.jpeg.422328f60258ad5679aa06901e799cd6.jpeg

decided to have lunch as it wasn’t  too crowded yet  and quit enjoyed the pirate show as about 100 or so bikes rolled in and started ordering buckets of Coronas  

definitely not our scene but it was fun to check it out. 
From there we headed up Palomar to the observatory.  Barb doesn’t enjoy  it when things get too spirited so I took it easy and put  it in sight seeing mode.

sidebar: hey do you and your buddies a favor.  If anyone wants to take a full on frontal picture like this, just slap them  This is the dumbest photo pose ever.  
6AE55200-6696-4B2E-8E6D-0A56F33EB727.thumb.jpeg.1376cf1491d07e3b088d881c057b2aee.jpeg

Good news  Mothers is finally open.  A much better lunch venue in my opinion.  

We continued  up to the observatory in spite of the closed signs along the way, and to my shock and horror it was actually closed. 
3208A11F-2735-46D8-BBCD-B80475AFBC0B.thumb.jpeg.cd8c2b4f972b7c6504cc8301d941dce7.jpeg  

we popped over to Boucher fire tower for a bit of scenic overlooking. But found no joy. Smoke everywhere. 
F7017C6F-EC59-4E8C-AD1A-DE74481AF725.thumb.jpeg.a8707f819fe3134aa3466371fa3b76f8.jpeg

11F38D07-A499-465B-AB0A-91C54DC31859.thumb.jpeg.1b441f4f59960205a3eed6abb781c6a0.jpeg

50852459-BC53-48F1-812F-741B20C03D53.thumb.jpeg.baaf89154d3321767f76df913b28409d.jpeg

Boucher tower is cool regardless of the air quality.

Spent a good half hour talking with the volunteer ranger in the tower. Discussed numerous dirty routes throughout the area and came away with a few ideas. 

we grabbed a couple Gatorades on the way back through Ramona

0C1239A2-CDFA-4F2A-95AB-5E944228A80B.thumb.jpeg.3e18aed2ec6d5105f78dbc2a69bd1662.jpeg

and headed home via a quick stop at a friends in Lakeside. 
About 150 mile spin today with my bride. Good times.  

• Like 2

Sweet looking lid. 

Does the transitions lens change fast enough as you're  going in and out of shade though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Sweet looking lid. 

Does the transitions lens change fast enough as you're  going in and out of shade though?

Yes.

The fully darkened state isn't really that dark from inside looking out.   I always rode my Arai with a smoke lens.  And even though it looks really dark from the outside . . . it's not very dark from the inside.  I rode it all the time at night too, which sounds a little crazy until you try it.  The only time  it bothered me was out in the pitch black night time desert in nasty rainy weather.  THEN, it's too dark to ride safely (for me) and the only time I longed for a clear lens.  The KLIM Transition lens isn't quite as dark as the Arai.

When I flip it up under the visor and ride wide open (stop  signs, small towns, etc) and then flip it back down, there is a mottled look to it where some parts are dark and others clear.  It's not a problem as it re-adjusts quickly.  Maybe 5-7 seconds.  Even if it didn't, the effect on the eyes is minimal.  It's my guess KLIMs recommendation to not use it with the visor was written by a city slick lawyer, and is probably laughed at inside the corporate walls.

As always, YMMV, but I doubt it.

Of note: I prefer the shape of the Klim lens VASTLY over the Arai.  There is just enough additional space that it feels wonderful spacious instead of like it's about to hit my face.  When bee's bounce off the Klim, the lens makes a distinct CRACK.  Sounds like a pretty good rock just hit your lens.  After the third bee I realized it couldn't be rocks as I have never encountered that many on the road.  On those roads.  Plus rocks don't leave yellow guts on your lens.  I thought that was odd, but it for dang sure encouraged me  to ride lens down and avoid the temptation to just depend on my spectacles for eye protection.

Speaking of eyes . . . I wear glasses.  Tri focals.  Thus sunglasses do not work for me unless I want to start buying $700 sunglasses.  Therefore the Transition lens on the helmet is an automatic "absolutely must have" now that I've experienced it.  This alone makes the Pro model worth the extra money.  Time will tell though how scratch resistant that $150 lens is.

Venting is A+, better than the XD4.

Comfort - feels like my head is in a nice soft sofa!  Very spacious around my ears.  The Arai is super snug around the ears to the point of pain near the end of a 600-700 mile day.

So yeh, I love the lid.  Plus the dizzy color scheme makes me feel like I'm a bad ass MX rider.  So I got that going for me.

• Like 2

VERY nice helmet, I love mine ( bought it from Oracle ), where did you get yours, the wife wants one now.

Also just for fun my stepmom was a lookout for years at Boucher, in the late 70's.

• Like 1

I special ordered it at BMWMC of SD. None to be found anywhere so I placed the order and hoped  for the best. 

You forgot to mention how light that helmet is also.  I tried one on at GP motorcycles and was almost could not put it down.

• Like 1