Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

1989 XR250R takes on the late models

This is the little bike that can and is always willing to perform at almost any level. I had so much fun on my few trail rides on my new old machine. I was surprised and had forgotten how good these little Honda's are. That's BetaMax Italia on his 2020 Beta 300RR Race edition on point.

• Like 1

Moral of the story......you don't need to spend mega bucks to have fun, you don't need a 10k+ modern bike to ride and enjoy riding with all the late model folks. These specific XR air cooled  model series Honda machines were still competitive well into the liquid cooled era, including in ISDE competition. So if an SDAR member is now currently riding (or if this is you) an air cooled XR don't think he or she is handicapped in any way for most all and everyday DS rides. If you are on a tighter budget an XR400 or 600 (or even the 250 in this case) is a super value minded DS bike. Also as a Honda parts availability is still a fairly easy path to follow. SDAR consultant- Robertaccio

PS it's also an ego trip being on an "old" bike among all the late model guys, on this day, I was in line as P2 behind BetaMax there were 4 or 5 guys behind us all on Euro bikes no older than 5 years old.

• Like 1

PPS this bike is for sale, my son did not want it after all ( I rode it 2x to test it out) S101 just rebuilt the forks, and she's got new bars, controls and handguards.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Gave me flashbacks to an '86 XR250R that I had. She was fully built, front to back, top to bottom and inside to out by XR's Only. I can attest to the prowess and durability (even fully built out) of those bikes. Riding with guys on larger cc machines at the time couldn't believe what they were witnessing. Fun times!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dress4Less said:

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Gave me flashbacks to an '86 XR250R that I had. She was fully built, front to back, top to bottom and inside to out by XR's Only. I can attest to the prowess and durability (even fully built out) of those bikes. Riding with guys on larger cc machines at the time couldn't believe what they were witnessing. Fun times!

amazingly this bike is 100% OEM stock the exhaust outlet is about as big as a pencil!! it still even has the breather plugs on the ends of the tubes! I left it as is.

My knees ,wrists ,ankles and elbows hurt watching that............    I'll take my modern suspension any day but I also love the vintage stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 350thumper said:

My Honda Xr 650L v.s. anything you got, race day.

Ok, but I'll bet if you ride my Ktm and I rode your Honda, the Ktm would win!

• Like 1