Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Does the high desert cool off enough at night? 08/13/20

The short answer for this time of year would be "no".

I was supposed to go trail riding with a friend on Thursday, but they wanted to go somewhere close and convenient so that they could attend to an important birthday celebration in the evening.  All the close and convenient places were going to be very hot, and Big Bear was going to be the only place that wasn't.....but it was too far away.  So, the plans got mutually scrapped.  Still....I wanted some saddle time, so I decided to head out to McCain late in the day.  I made sure that the head light was working on the Flea, just in case...but the plan was to get back back to the staging area before dark.

I was ready to hit the trail at 5 p.m., and not very happy about the temperature.  At least the sun  was low in the sky, with lots of cloud cover to keep it from beating down on countryside, and there was a good breeze.  I rode around for a couple of hours, but the temperature never dropped low enough to what could be called comfortable.  An unexpected confrontation with a cactus on my way back to the Jeep didn't help...but what are ya gonna do?  Cactus can be sneaky sometimes.  When I reached the Jeep, there was a group of Honda riders nearby,  preparing for a night ride.  It was 7 o clock by then.  This morning I checked my weather app around 5 a.m. and Boulevard hadn't dipped below 80 degrees....so it's definitely a hot one out there.  It certainly didn't cool down as much as I had hoped.  Maybe if a little rain was added into the mix, it would have been nice.

50223752883_4c2775fa40_o.jpg?width=1920&

50224397136_93889da1bd_o.jpg?width=1920&

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed. I want to go ride my new scoot but it's so hot!

Think I'm gonna have to go do a fire road cruz at Lake Morena despite the heat ( too hot to want to push it in the more technical stuff).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed. I want to go ride my new scoot but it's so hot!

Think I'm gonna have to go do a fire road cruz at Lake Morena despite the heat ( too hot to want to push it in the more technical stuff).

I still wanted to go up to Big Bear, but this year has been particularly bad for crowds, and now that it's the weekend, the amount of people up there trying to beat the heat will be worse than ever.  If I am wise, I will wait until a weekday to go up.

• Like 1