Sign in to follow this  
alphajack

butler BDR paper maps

anyone have a map or two I can take a look at sometime?  Im planning some BDR rides next year and would like to know if one of these maps is all one really needs. Anyone have any comments regarding these or other paper maps I 'de like to hear them. 

The maps are great in conjunction with the free tracks. I always carry a paper map with me on any long distance ride. You never know when something will go wrong and a paper map is a great way to look at options. I have most of the BDR maps and  you’re welcome to look at any of them.

CiD

I fully agree with CID, as a map and compass should always be taken when in the wilderness.  That being said, each time I did the BDR CO, I rarely used the map except to look ahead 100-200  miles to see where towns and sleep/eat options might be. Often, I would be cruising along and see a fellow BDR rider(s) on the side of the road holding a map and wondering what to do next. In those scenarios, I would always stop and offer them the option to follow me until the roads and turns seemed more clear to them as I followed the digital route on my GPSMAP 78 downloaded track/route.  Having both adds more security, and having to stop and unfold a map is a bit of a pain (Many riders use the BDR map along with a topo map and/or a city street map together).  However, many sections are long enough to follow for a couple/few hours after a peek at the BDR map.  It is those right left right, right left left sections within a couple miles where the digital guidance is sweet. 

I just did the WABDR with downloaded tracks from Butler (and the paper map). 
while I’d never go without the paper map and compass, I never pulled it out of the bag. 
I ran the gpx tracks on my Garmin NavV and whenever I got off Route I just twisted that amazing wonderwheel near the clutch lever and zoomed out until I saw the purple line and headed back towards it. 
pretty amazing to think I rode 600 miles from OR to Canada on remote trails and never checked a map. Though I’d never do that without being completely self contained and having the tools onboard to find my way out if needed.