Sign in to follow this  
Ptkatoomer

New bike set-up questions

How many of you feel that the dealers PDI inspection on a new bike is adequate? 

If not, what do you feel should be done/checked on your end when you get your new scoot?

Chain tension, airfilter seated and oiled correctly, front axle pinch bolts and proper torque on triple clamps

New bike - after a few rides I go and tighten every spoke evenly  a quarter turn  or so. Loc tite shifter ,kicker,brake pedals ect. Anti-seize chain adjuster bolts . Ktm- loc tite tail lite bolts. Make shure a very good ground wire Battery to frame. 

New bike inspection is a joke.  Its best to check spokes, grease linkage bearings greade the axels and torque the triple tree pinch bolts.  Plus I do the Teflon tape wrap under the clutch and front brake lever.  

If it’s a Beta-

Locktite every bolt you can. 
Change out the plastic oil pump gears for steel ones. 
Get your forks hard anodized before they self destruct.

Tighten hydraulic clutch and brake line. 
I know others who’ve had no issues with their Beta but I’ve had all of these. 
At least they’re warranty is good. 

45 minutes ago, Ken S said:

If it’s a Beta-

Locktite every bolt you can. 
Change out the plastic oil pump gears for steel ones. 
Get your forks hard anodized before they self destruct.

Tighten hydraulic clutch and brake line. 
I know others who’ve had no issues with their Beta but I’ve had all of these. 
At least they’re warranty is good. 

Sounds like beta is a lil drama queen compared to race ready ktm. Jk 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ken S said:

Another new bike Paul or issues with the 300?

Traded in my '15 for a '20 500 Exc 6-days.

So far I've re-greased the swingarm and triple-clamps. Checked all the nuts and bolts. Waiting on "real" off road tires and some protection.

I love how quiet and smooth the power is(I don't need any more ). Based on everything I've read and watched, I think I'll leave in the reeds in the airbox. That's supposed to improve the low-end, which is where I  ride it. 

The only "performance " mod I'd like to do is to replace the exhaust endcap just so that it won't run so hot, but after talking with several knowledgeable people, they ALL say that you'd have to replace the ecu as well or it'll run worse. Lack of cash prevents that. It does come with a fan stock. I just like the idea for longevity of the motor.

20 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Sounds like beta is a lil drama queen compared to race ready ktm. Jk 

Mine has been 

9 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

So far I've re-greased the swingarm and triple-clamps. Checked all the nuts and bolts. Waiting on "real" off road tires and some protection.

I love how quiet and smooth the power is(I don't need any more ). Based on everything I've read and watched, I think I'll leave in the reeds in the airbox. That's supposed to improve the low-end, which is where I  ride it. 

The only "performance " mod I'd like to do is to replace the exhaust endcap just so that it won't run so hot, but after talking with several knowledgeable people, they ALL say that you'd have to replace the ecu as well or it'll run worse. Lack of cash prevents that. It does come with a fan stock. I just like the idea for longevity of the motor.

Congratulations. I’m having a hard time not buying one of those. 
Lack of garage space is my problem. 

21 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Save up for a JD tuner-- then remove the reeds and exhaust tip. If you remove any thing before tuner you are going to be super lean -- and super hot. After the mods the bike runs cooler . 

I did what Kug suggests on my 500-whole different bike.

Congrats on the new scoot!