ADV Bum

Santa Ysabel - Lusardi 7-27

Derek called me up and wanted to get out. I needed to try some changes I made to the 500. Seat concepts seat is much better than stock. I changed the rear tire to smaller width 130 from 140 as it was rubbing and had chewed through my mud guard when my skid plate moved on the last ride. I also changed the chain and went with a 48t sprocket from the 50t to raise the ratio and move the tire back a bit.  The bike is not as twitchy and can cruise on the freeway at 70 without high rpms. Much more manageable power on the trail. 

We got to Ysabel TT and I lowered the pressure on the tubliss.

Derek had a strap come loose so I had to stop him.

As we were continuing on my front end was all over the place. Stopped and notice I was flat. 

We found a nice shady spot by the creek to do the tire repair.

1594264811_tirerepairlusardi.thumb.jpg.be7cef6be649d5b5a417800f61f5e0d9.jpg

We did the tire repair. Inner bladder of the tire had a pinch flat from hitting a rock and pinching the inner bladder against a nipple. Put the bike back together and were getting ready to leave and noticed the front was flat again. Checked by putting air and nothing would hold. We could only think that the inner bladder was not ruptured by a pinch flat by there must be something causing the flat on the rim. I did check by running my fingers over the inner rim before I installed the new bladder. but it definitely was not holding air. We were going to throw the 21" tube in and replace the system. Dismantled the tire once again. After removing the inner bladder we pumped it up to see if the hole was in the same spot. No hole, no leak. Dunked it in the creek to see if there was any bubbles/ leak. Nothing. We could only surmise that the valve stem has some grit in it and was allowing a leak. We reassembled but decided to leave the front highly pressurized with 25-30 psi just make it home. 

While reassembling the second time a ranger came by and checked our bikes. He was a really nice guy and hung out and talked to us until we got everything back in order to leave. 

We then decided to head back and we would also hit Lusardi TT before going home.

We had a great ride back to the beginning of Lusardi. We stopped and we both had discussed that the tire pressures were way to high and front was washing out. Derek did not want to reinflate his, and I was nervous as I did not want to get another flat and delay his riding any more than I had already done, so we proceeded.

As you can see we did not make it that far into the trail when a bad thing happened. Font tire completely washed out in a small rut (that you could not see) while going into a turn. It was hard pack with sand on top which was like marbles.  From the pic you can see how the front tire chattered and slide into the rut and the impact and drag mark.

1631842213_crashLusardi.thumb.jpg.369fae1cb8da203bb29f5ecfb7f708f1.jpg

I hit the ground pretty hard. You can see in the video my hand shaking as I turned off the go pro. My head slammed and drug on the ground. I was dizzy and unstable for a short while. My right boot was spun and pointing my toes down the trail from where I had come. My boot was pinned under the bike an leg contorted so that I had to spin my body under my trapped leg so that I could use my free leg to push the bike up and free my trapped boot. From the video it does not appear to be a long time being pinned. To me it seemed much longer.

We rode back to the shade at the beginning of Santa Ysabel so I could collect myself before heading home. My neck was really starting to hurt along with my ankle.  My neck pain subsided (thank goodness). I believe I broke my pinky and severely sprained my right ankle. Derek and I cant seem to get a ride in without incidence. You never know when the quick ride can turn bad. Thank goodness for being prepared and wearing proper gear.

I hope you guys luck turns around pretty soon....😕

13 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

I hope you guys luck turns around pretty soon....😕

It has been a run of bad luck of late.  I am due for a long run of good luck now.

Glad there was no serious injuries.   What is that red and white stick you are using to help prop the bike up?  We need something that

Happens so quick....Glad your okay. Things will turn around for you soon...

12 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

Glad there was no serious injuries.   What is that red and white stick you are using to help prop the bike up?  We need something that

It works, but make sure you have a good place to mount it before you go out. The kickstand that I upgraded the 500 with moved the kickstand back and it was hard to get the front end to stay up.  I made one from a crutch that I have with the big bike. I like it better and will make another for my small bike.

https://www.amazon.com/LegUp-Motorcycle-Jack-Stand-Green/dp/B07DX8TBDG

post-174-1264732119.jpg

1 minute ago, ADV Bum said:

It works, but make sure you have a good place to mount it before you go out. The kickstand that I upgraded the 500 with moved the kickstand back and it was hard to get the front end to stay up.  I made one from a crutch that I have with the big bike. I like it better and will make another for my small bike.

https://www.amazon.com/LegUp-Motorcycle-Jack-Stand-Green/dp/B07DX8TBDG

Thank you

That looked like a hard fall Mike, hope you’re ok. That’s a tuff time to see the terrain since there’s no shadows, 

Mike,  Just an observation but from the video it looks like you are leaning to the inside with your head (like on a streetbike)  That really contributes to the front tire washing out.  If you stay upright and lean the bike (sliding your butt slightly to the outside while adding pressure to the outside peg (like 30-50% of your weight) and drive your knee into the shroud. Think of it as if your seat was all roller bearings,  when you lean the bike, your entire body, from your butt to your head stays 100% vertical, The bike will really stay planted on slippery hard pack  Doing that loads the bike causing the front tire to actually flatten out slightly increasing the footprint.  You will be amazed how planted the bike gets

Sorry for the unsolicited advice,  I just don't want to see people get hurt

• Like 1

You crash like I do.  Hard and quick.  Glad you are okay.

• Haha 1

----, that sucks. Glad your injuries seem minor in the grand scheme of what we do. You going stick with the tubeless? Seems like a huge pain in the ass when there is a failure if you ask me. 

32 minutes ago, Oracle said:

----, that sucks. Glad your injuries seem minor in the grand scheme of what we do. You going stick with the tubeless? Seems like a huge pain in the ass when there is a failure if you ask me. 

Yes I will stick with the tubliss.  That is the first trail side issue I have had with it. I lowered the pressure very low and it was a lucky shot that the rock pinched the inner bladder against a nipple to puncture. With my weight, tools, and gear I carry front pinch flats have always been a problem. With tubes (even super HD tubes) I have gotten so many pinch flats that tubliss deserves another try. It was not that hard to change. The fact we did it twice after putting all back together was the pain in the ass. We cannot explain why the new tube (inner bladder) went flat and then held air. If we were not by the creek to submerge the bladder to check for any kind of leak we would of put in the 21" tube. 

You guys should ride, not race. Its all good after all.

I have tubliss on a bike i just got. What do you recommend I carry for repairs? I have a plug kit, but should i also carry a tube patch kit? Did you puncture the high pressure inner tube? Then you patched it? 

Glad to hear you're ok after that

I do carry a plug kit for the tire, but I also carry an extra 21 and 18 inner bladder. If the inner bladder punctures I can throw in the new one and patch the old one and use if necessary. I keep buying new ones(nervous like that), but I am going to check a couple that have been patched in the past to see if they are holding air under high pressure. I also carry a spare 21' normal tube so if all else fails it can be used front or rear.  On a non tubliss bike I carry both a 21' and 18' tube.  The regular tube kit takes up more space because of the 18' tube.

I'm getting new tires soon, so I'll be opening it up and hopefully learning the ropes with the system. I'll pick up some spare bladders, thanks for the tip, didn't realize they're around the same price as normal tubes so that's good. 

Need to start studying YouTube instructional videos haha

glad you are OK, please take the time to be sure your bike is properly balanced when in the same configuration with your gear.

To me it looks like you have little or zero front end weight bias. Meaning for example 60% on the rear 40% on front which is no good. 

I mention this because in my observations so many ADV riders add/carry all kinds of gear weight aft and high of CG.

This actually includes rider weight position, the chassis on almost all of the "regular" size machines are all derived from the race versions of the same bikes and thus are engineered to perform best when the rider is up over the front in attack position whether sitting standing or crouching. Most of us when just riding are seated mid seat (good) to aft of best position for handling balance.

• Like 1