Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Clutch cover and Ignition cover guards?

What are your opinions about installing Clutch and/ or Ignition cover guards?

I see the upside of protection.

The only downside I can think of would be heat retention, but it cannot be that much.

I've used them on my last two or three ktm's. No heat problems. Did have an issue on this bike. The covers fit so tight, that water and dirt got trapped in the bottom of the cover and corroded the bolts that were under the covers. I drilled some holes and cut opem some areas on the bottom of the covers to let the water drain, and no more problems. One of the covers, I think it is the ignition cover, was hard to find. Had to buy it from a shop in Spain. I think they are called Greenland MX. Why Greenland MX, in Spain? I dunno. 

I punched a hole in my ignition cover a couple weeks ago in Baja. Covers would have been nice to have then!

Thanks. I did purchase a set of Guards for the Clutch and Ignition covers. They are full plastic covers, not partial like most I had found. I was more worried about heat retention. If people will jb weld/ glue a aluminum full guard on, I cant see these retaining any more heat. I will modify and expose the cover bolts on the lower part of the guard and drill a few holes to let out water. I am also going to vent my skid plate to let more air flow get to the engine.

I did install the covers today. I made the modifications to the bottoms to let the moisture escape. They fit nice. I also vented my skid plate some more to help with air flow.

802491533_clutchcover.thumb.jpg.1fa1b9533f58159e017d11e14bc7a220.jpg

88131852_Ignitioncover.thumb.jpg.62b519bbde6eacfda9bb6e391e800f68.jpg

• Like 1

Seeing the pics reminded me of sumthin'. The cover pushes my boot out a bit more and it would slip off the stock brake pedal. Got an extended one and all is good.