Mr.JAJA

How would you handle this?

On my last ride, I had to go to town for new rear brake pads. During the Valve stem repair I found that the rear pads where at the metal (Just shy of it) and I decide to ride to Bakersfield Cycle Gear. On my way into town a beat up car with darker than you can see windows, follows me and drives by side next to me. As I pull into the parking lot and try to park the bike,  the car pulled in front and blocked my pat. The side window went down and a "African American" start talking to me: Hey Bro, I like to check out your Bike. and with 10-20 second there where two more cars surrounding me. I told him that I have to fix my bike and have no time. I backed out the bike, out of this trap and into the front off the Cycle Gear shop. Took my Phone and wallet and went into the shop.  When I cam out, he where still there and ask if I have a Problem (With him), I repeat that I have a problem with my bike and have to fix it and start to ignore him. By the time there where 3 of them now and dancing around me wile I start taking the brake apart. this where going on for 10 minutes and yes I feel threaten and unsafe the first time. 

What has this world turned into?

3 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

On my last ride, I had to go to town for new rear brake pads. During the Valve stem repair I found that the rear pads where at the metal (Just shy of it) and I decide to ride to Bakersfield Cycle Gear. On my way into town a beat up car with darker than you can see windows, follows me and drives by side next to me. As I pull into the parking lot and try to park the bike,  the car pulled in front and blocked my pat. The side window went down and a "African American" start talking to me: Hey Bro, I like to check out your Bike. and with 10-20 second there where two more cars surrounding me. I told him that I have to fix my bike and have no time. I backed out the bike, out of this trap and into the front off the Cycle Gear shop. Took my Phone and wallet and went into the shop.  When I cam out, he where still there and ask if I have a Problem (With him), I repeat that I have a problem with my bike and have to fix it and start to ignore him. By the time there where 3 of them now and dancing around me wile I start taking the brake apart. this where going on for 10 minutes and yes I feel threaten and unsafe the first time. 

What has this world turned into?

Wow! That would be extremely nerve rattling...that's when you need to have LB (Oracle) riding along with you! Glad it did not escalate further...

Sounds like you handled it the best way possible given the circumstances. Being outnumbered is not the time to become confrontational, yet you cannot show any weakness. You went about your business and they probably decided you were not going to be a push over and decided to move on. However, in todays climate, had you said one wrong word they likely would have used that as an excuse....

Udo, I am glad you are ok and it worked out for you. It is always easier to dissect things after they happen. You probably did the best you could in the heat of the moment.

Something to consider, though not always practical. I probably wouldn't have stopped. At the first sign or trouble/danger, I would have kept on truckin'. I would have tried to find my way to police or fire station to take a break. I realize in today's climate, not all police stations may be available or accessible. Also, you may not have known where the closest police or fire station was. Firefighters are usually pretty good folks and probably would have tried to help you with your bike and shoe away undesirables.

A cowboy bar or motorcycle bar, could also be a temporary safe haven, maybe not... but just a thought as a latch ditch option.

I am surprised they didn't back down after you got to Cycle Gear and I am surprised you didn't lose any luggage while you went into the store. They might have gotten wise and thought you could have alerted the store what was going on. Maybe not.

I find many Central Valley cities/towns to be undesirable locations (Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton, Sacramento, Modesto.... just to name a few). 

I am sure someone on here will come along with better suggestions soon.

There left after 10-15 minutes, me ignoring them and kept calm what I would not have done 20 years ago. But the feeling that there where waiting somewhere did not left me till I hit the outskirts and dirt.

I probably would have got mouthy with resulting in me or my bike or both winding up in bad shape. 
This world has gone nuts. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid of just about everybody these days, doesn't matter what color they are.  People have gone bonkers.

Except dirt bike riders.  So far i feel like we are all family.

• Like 1

Just curious, what do you think they were up to ?  I know exactly how I would have handled it but I will keep it to myself.   I have found most of the time it's all pomp and no circumstance. I understand your choice of actions but I also feel ignoring sets you up for the blindsided attack.  Face the threat and keep it all in sight until its handled.

I’ve had my most unnerving ride moments in that area too. The best defense is to have a plan. Only you can define what that means. 

10 hours ago, standarche said:

Maybe he just wanted to talk to you about your bike?

Its hard to explain the action, but he and the two other where not just talking about the bike. The gesticulate, the acting, the dress and last the words, tell you better.

Another thought, maybe if you only responded to them in German and didn't speak a single word of English, they would have moved on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would executed escape and evasion tactics as required by the situation. Always the best option. you can always go hunting later.....

I've been in those hemmed in positions and have won 2 vs 5 battles, but have run like the wind from 10 vs 15 after assessing the what the others were packing in gear and muscle power.

One thing for sure is if jumped outnumbered try to focus on their leader or just 1 guy and use the beating the others are giving you to anger redouble your assault on their leader if not whomever you have a hold of. Also organic weapons should always be on anyone's defensive mind, my fave was always the cars driving by on the road easy as a push away. PS defensive use only.

In one case, by some stupid coincidence on the sidewalk near a Police station, as I was getting pummeled by his crew, the guy I focused on was turning blue from lack of oxygen and crying out/gurgling, as I was telling his guys I was taking him with me. They relented, but that time they didn't have knives or guns either........ Oh and we (my cousin) went hunting months later and paid back their crew leader with a trip on the outside of the car at 40 mph. The entire story is movie material.

I am just a mellow old Family, Moto and Fishing dude now, good thing I went in the USMC back then.

Glad absolutely nothing happened other than a bad taste. Let's all get back to happily riding our motos.

• Like 1

As I get older the story teller comes out......

Apparently you handled it the best possible way since there was no altercation. Glad that was the case. I would have definitely told someone inside Cycle Gear what was going on so they could cal the copsl if need.be.

Did you die?  No?  Good adventure!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, robertaccio said:

I would executed escape and evasion tactics as required by the situation. Always the best option. you can always go hunting later.....

I've been in those hemmed in positions and have won 2 vs 5 battles, but have run like the wind from 10 vs 15 after assessing the what the others were packing in gear and muscle power.

One thing for sure is if jumped outnumbered try to focus on their leader or just 1 guy and use the beating the others are giving you to anger redouble your assault on their leader if not whomever you have a hold of. Also organic weapons should always be on anyone's defensive mind, my fave was always the cars driving by on the road easy as a push away. PS defensive use only.

In one case, by some stupid coincidence on the sidewalk near a Police station, as I was getting pummeled by his crew, the guy I focused on was turning blue from lack of oxygen and crying out/gurgling, as I was telling his guys I was taking him with me. They relented, but that time they didn't have knives or guns either........ Oh and we (my cousin) went hunting months later and paid back their crew leader with a trip on the outside of the car at 40 mph. The entire story is movie material.

I am just a mellow old Family, Moto and Fishing dude now, good thing I went in the USMC back then.

Glad absolutely nothing happened other than a bad taste. Let's all get back to happily riding our motos.

We need to get you all liquored up by a campfire and pull the rest of that movie out of you!

• Like 2