Mr.JAJA

4 day trip to Soda Lake

Made it home save. Short report from my 4 day solo ride to the nearby Mountain and dirt tracks.

Day1, Ride via Idyllwild, Big Bear to the Angels Crest and find a camp spot in 7000-8000 feed high Blueridge Campground, Thanks to Dave for the hint. Fund some fire wood from the previus camper and had a nice Campfire with a "100056 Inch TV" view over LA mountains. The night where cold and windy. Like most time, I slept on the Camping table and left at 7AM.  There were only two more places occupied from PCT hikes.

Day2, Rode via Angels Crest, Topanga Canyon, Gorman, Fraeser National Park to Soda Lake, Excellent ride with no traffic at all. Since I left without Breakfast, I pulled over at the Newscome Ranch on the Angels Crest Hyw, which is still closed, so I had to take out my 5star Gourmet Kitchen and fixed me up some good German Breakfast. At Soda Lake, I checked out some sides, but the Painted Wall and Visitor centers are closed. I setup camp at the KCL Camp and had the whole place for myself. Temperatures where cool but not too cold. I used a hanger pipe with hooks (Placed there in the Campground) to hang my riding gear up for the night. Little as I know, seeing all the BIG BIRD droppings under it I setup my bead as always on the camping table. Made a little campfire and after the sun went down, I went into my German Military sleeping bag. It did not take long before I some BIG BIRD Noise got me up and he/she took of right over my bead. This where going on the whole night. I lay down and the Owl came back and sits right next to me on the pol where my riding gear where hanging. Lazy as I am, I did not have gotten up and got the camera out of the bike. Left the camp at 7AM.

Day3, I tried to find out if the Hurricane Pass Trail where save to ride with the big bike and solo. Did not see any person in the park, so I decided, just go for it. The road sign warns for Unpassable during Wet weather. It is not wet and I gave it a go. The first section went well, little rough and twisty. I had to find a groove in the dried out dirt where I could go thru. Then came the first steep hill climes with switchback. I know I am loaded with a Queen-size bed, it just got steeper and steeper. I had good traction and on the steepest section, (The Jeeps had cut grooves into the limestone, filed with 4-5” deep dust) the front wheel stay on top and the rear went down into the groove. And what is an Adventure ride without dropping the bike.  As always, no help anywhere. I got my recovery rope and pulley’s out. It lifted the bike a little bit and then ripped the whole bush out of the ground. Unload the bike, carry everything up the hill with some Oldman rest between and after 4 trips, I sat down and worked on a plane (Hope that a Jeep comes just around the corner) how to get the bike up and keeping it from falling over to the other side. Turning it on the Cylinder 90deg to the trail, digging a groove fort the front wheel to keep it from sliding and shifting it into first gear.  After placing everything, I where rested enough to give it a try and it worked. Got the bike up, side stand to the downhill side and not reaching the ground. Now I had to go around, balancing the bike and get it on the side stand to place a rock.  It worked, I got dressed and rode up where all my boxes and bags with the bedroom where placed. The rest of the trail went good. After reach Asphalt in Taft (Oil Pump Capitol of the area) I felt some rear wandering and checked the air. Down to 20 Psi, Did I got a flat? No the Valve broke off. I found a tire shop and after I removed the wheel, there replaced the stem without removing the tire.  Now I went on to my next Dirt trail for the day. From south Bakersfield to Tehachapi is a dirt trail (Comanche point Rd). The scenery is just amassing. Graded dirt, not as good as Black Canyon, steep climbs and some gates. (If it is open, leave it open, Is it closed, Close it after you pass thru.) For the day I drove to the Tehachapi Loop to find a Camping spot, but with the Trains blowing the Horn and going up and down the whole night, I skipped the idea and start riding south. Found a spot, north of Willow spring in the open hills.

Day4, Left camp around 7AM again and found an open restaurant (Hole in the wall) and ordered a Omelet. The best Omelet I ever had and it filed me up for the whole day. I made my way back via Angel Crest, Big Bear, Saga and HOME. 

Nothing killed me, A good Adventure.

DSC05748 - Copy.JPG

DSC05751 - Copy.JPG

DSC05755.JPG

DSC05757.JPG

DSC05758.JPG

DSC05759.JPG

DSC05762.JPG

DSC05764.JPG

DSC05766.JPG

DSC05768.JPG

DSC05769.JPG

DSC05770 - Copy.JPG

DSC05771.JPG

DSC05772.JPG

DSC05774.JPG

DSC05776.JPG

DSC05777 - Copy.JPG

DSC05780.JPG

DSC05781.JPG

DSC05782.JPG

DSC05786.JPG

DSC05788.JPG

DSC05789.JPG

DSC05790.JPG

DSC05793.JPG

DSC05796.JPG

DSC05797.JPG

DSC05801.JPG

DSC05803.JPG

DSC05804.JPG

DSC05805.JPG

DSC05806.JPG

DSC05807.JPG

DSC05808.JPG

DSC05809.JPG

DSC05810.JPG

DSC05811.JPG

DSC05812.JPG

DSC05813.JPG

DSC05814.JPG

DSC05815.JPG

DSC05818.JPG

DSC05821.JPG

DSC05824.JPG

DSC05826.JPG

DSC05830.JPG

• Like 2

Glad to see you lived to make it on another adventure.

Nice write up and pics Udo.  Picking that bike is probably a  b*%ch.  I went down the other night on the 500 and  picking it up is so easy compared to the 990. You have inspired me. I think I will have to do a shorter big bike over night locally. 

Thank you 

I’ll see if I can review you spot tracks. I’m likely going to camp on the same picnic table in Corizzo Saturday night. 

glad you didn’t die. That valve stem replacement would have sucked more if you had TPMS. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

I’ll see if I can review you spot tracks. I’m likely going to camp on the same picnic table in Corizzo Saturday night. 

glad you didn’t die. That valve stem replacement would have sucked more if you had TPMS. 

Just keep in mind that the Owl will sit on here Pole and spy over the field at night. Are you going up there next week?

Yes.  I'll leave La Mesa at 3:30 am Saturday morning to get past San Bernadino/ LA before traffic starts.  And this will make Corizzo easy enough to get to in one day.  Oddly, I've never ridden Angels Crest either so am looking forward to riding that (in spite of it being a Saturday).

I have 2 days to cross CA and get to the OR border.  Then taking 1 day to find an interesting route to Hood River.  Then start Day 4 on the WABDR with my son from Seattle.  Should be able to squeeze 5,000 miles out of this trip by the time I'm home.  Goal is to make those new Anakee Wilds last the whole trip.

I'm quite bummed really that I couldn't join you on this trip but my timeline didn't line up.  I've wanted to scout Corizzo lately, and of course, go back in the spring when the colors are there.  What I've seen in pics is just amazing.

I'm curious if you got to explore any of the dirt roads west of the campground?  It looks like there might be some good riding along and in those mountains.

I won't have time to look at your tracks today.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Nicely done Udo! Your adventures are always impressive! Thanks for sharing!

11 hours ago, Zubb said:

Yes.  I'll leave La Mesa at 3:30 am Saturday morning to get past San Bernadino/ LA before traffic starts.  And this will make Corizzo easy enough to get to in one day.  Oddly, I've never ridden Angels Crest either so am looking forward to riding that (in spite of it being a Saturday).

I have 2 days to cross CA and get to the OR border.  Then taking 1 day to find an interesting route to Hood River.  Then start Day 4 on the WABDR with my son from Seattle.  Should be able to squeeze 5,000 miles out of this trip by the time I'm home.  Goal is to make those new Anakee Wilds last the whole trip.

I'm quite bummed really that I couldn't join you on this trip but my timeline didn't line up.  I've wanted to scout Corizzo lately, and of course, go back in the spring when the colors are there.  What I've seen in pics is just amazing.

I'm curious if you got to explore any of the dirt roads west of the campground?  It looks like there might be some good riding along and in those mountains.

I won't have time to look at your tracks today.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Try to check out the route via Frazier national park, than you can shoot from south to north all the way (Easy Gravel) north. Fraeser starts north of Gorman rest area.on the 5.

• Like 1

You had me mystified, "I've never heard of Fraeser national park".  Frazier Park.  I know where that is.  I am going to be up at Cerro Noroeste on Wednesday/Thursday.

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Try to check out the route via Fraeser national park, than you can shoot from south to north all the way (Easy Gravel) north. Fraeser starts north of Gorman rest area.on the 5.

I don’t see a route going north out of Frazier. Will call you tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, isde97 said:

You had me mystified, "I've never heard of Fraeser national park".  Frazier Park.  I know where that is.  I am going to be up at Cerro Noroeste on Wednesday/Thursday.

Its my German Spelling.