ADV Bum

6-23 Ramona - Palomar - 2fer Blk Mtn

It was a fun ride.  We were to meet at Pamo rd and Santa Ysabel truck trail at 3:00.  Derek showed a little after I got there.  We waited until 3:30 for anyone running late. 

1155799921_SantaYsabel2bikes.thumb.jpg.0421c9262173ec2ae5b5dba07851121a.jpg

We headed up Santa Ysabel to Mesa Truck trail then Mesa Grande.. We headed over to Palomar and headed up.

111869816_Palomar2bikes.thumb.jpg.8f72aebfc62df61e737922733287ac92.jpg

A little to much talking at this point.  Sun was heading down and I had stated that we would try to make it to Black Mtn for the 2fer Tues. We pushed it on the way back trying to make it. We made it to the Black Mtn truck trail and Santa Ysabel junction as the sun was going down. We did not see anyone and I was determined to head up and see if anyone was up top Black Mtn for the sunset.  Black Mtn Truck trail is actually a decently long trail. I was very glad I had done some work on the bike. I had installed new tires with tubliss that was hooking up with the trail pretty well. I also contacted Konflict suspension and discussed what they had done to the bike and how to adjust it for the riding I was doing. Much more plush.

I made it just in time to see the last of the sunset. No one else was there. 

751120284_BMsunset2fer.thumb.jpg.aba76f8bd6cc65ffc251bf7df19a33ca.jpg1305164763_BMSunsetme.thumb.jpg.64e98c835f2ce2e93a23aa9decea7a66.jpg

Derek showed a little while later. 

613919317_BMDerek.thumb.jpg.f0bdd0b0942a8403d5dab0106393f1db.jpg

417910141_BMsunset.thumb.jpg.25f9dbc9c5663ed9413a7b7644b23563.jpg

2082986275_BM2bikes.thumb.jpg.8c0824ad9f47c680ab6a08e6f6ee3001.jpg

I was excited to head back down. I had never ridden the bike at night. The lights on the bike are great. I did not know what to expect as they are not the brightest PRO lights from baja designs, but they were bright. Little did I know that would get me in trouble later on the way home.

We split ways in Ramona and I headed down San Pasqual  Valley to Del Dios. As I am on Del Dios I was playing with the lights trying to get used to the lights High beam/ low beam or both.  As cars would come I would dim the spot as I should. The previous owner had changed out the lights and also changed out the light switch. He changed to a smaller unit and the selector is very sensitive from on setting to another.  In the canyons of Del Dios a care was coming at me so lowered the lights. When the car passed I went to put the lights back up, but I ended turning them completely off. Now I am traveling down the canyons at 65 mph in total darkness. No cars coming to see the road. BLACK! Deprivation tank BLACK!  I am trying to find the switch to turn the lights on. A few seconds go by and I cannot find the switch or get the lights to come on. Traveling at 65 mph you are covering some distance every second and I was traveling down the road with a guard rail/ canyon on one side and a mountain on the other. I hit the back brake. Back brake is locking up and skidding. I have to abandon looking for the lights and concentrate on staying upright and hoping to stop before I hit something. I feather the front brake and rear brake. As the bike is fish tailing I could feel it between my  legs. It was the only feeling I had to know that the bike was upright and not tipping.  All that was running through my mind is " this is going to hurt!".  

1726435412_deldiosbikecrash.thumb.jpg.c6cb3beb56a6a26a164463eab53e742a.jpg

As the bike was slowing down I put down my feet so I could feel if the bike was tipping. When the bike was almost stopped it came to a stop against the curb. My foot hit the curb and I ended up setting the bike down as gently rolled into the ditch. It was quite the challenge to be thrown into. I was a little rattled after words. It was kind of sad that after wards while the bike was laying there a couple cars came by they did not even stop. I get a call from my wife as I am getting ready to take off from the side of the road. "You have been in the same spot for a long time, are you OK?"  The tracking on the phone can be a good thing sometimes. 

• Like 1

I scrolled down and saw the picture and was preparing myself for some really bad news; so happy that this really ended well!

40 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I scrolled down and saw the picture and was preparing myself for some really bad news; so happy that this really ended well!

Ditto I saw a long report and saw pic first like wow what happened. Glad no major issues Mike. had that happen before to me and you were right there on BLK mtn after a two fer

Glad you are ok Adv Bum, that report was going well, but sure got quite scary at the end. 

Sounds like a good day all in all, glad you didn’t get hurt. Nice sunset 👍👍