Huntndogs

SB1024 advances to Assembly

“Has met little opposition and passed committees unanimously”

Well...ehhh.

It's nice that some off-road folks support this, but the subtext is (at least to me) very clear.

Here's a sentence: 

would simply be replaced by a Competition Sticker program run by California State Parks. The use of such vehicles on public land would continued to be permitted by the bill, but with additional restrictions such as competition cards, correct off-road identification, and include mandatory noise-reducing parts such as spark arresters, mufflers, or silencers on vehicles to limit noise when on public lands.

I can't seem to find anything about what a "competition card" is. The DMV has a competition card provision that covers those bikes on loan from a manufacturer for racing purposes. But other than that, I can't find a definition of one, nor the existence of any program by that name.  

My suspicion is they are trying to offer a competition use for those bikes, and that's fine. But in turn, I think they're trying to ELIMINATE NON-COMPETITION USE. And that's not a good sign.

In other words, I predict a situation where authorities will stop "Competition Sticker" bikes and ask the simple question:

"Where's the competition card?"

And then;

"OK, where is the race?"

For the record, I'm a fan of spark arrestors, mufflers and silencers to limit noise. Less sound, more ground.

Paul,

Hey I am Thankful that I discovered the Large text function. 

Am I mistaken or What? Do you not use a DOT configuration? Why do you care: Re the Green/ Red crowd?

D

11 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Paul,

Hey I am Thankful that I discovered the Large text function. 

Am I mistaken or What? Do you not use a DOT configuration? Why do you care: Re the Green/ Red crowd?

D

Ain't no skin off my ass, I am 87% street legal. But I recognize euphemisms when I read them. When they say "it would simply be replaced by [this new program]" I call BS and look into the finer print. If one follows this link that is contained in the previous article, you'll find at the bottom the basis for the [new program].

“Peaceful views and quiet are often ruined by these kids on dirt bikes revving up their engines and ruining the hike or picnic or what-have-you for everyone,” said Barbara Schaeffer, whose house is next to public land nearby the Salton Sea in Southern California. “This also means we’ll see less of them and that police can finally do something about the noise.”

“I’m all for it and so many others that I know of are for it too.”

First, that area has been hosting off-road riders since Ms Schaeffer was a twinkle in the eye of her daddy. That Ms Schaeffer chose (a willful act) to live next door to a public land off-road area is Ms Schaeffer's problem, not the State of California's.

Further, whenever anyone claims to speak on behalf of their own private army ("so many others are for it too") the hair on the back of my neck raises. How many others, Ms Schaeffer? 2? (because the plural) 200, 2000? Can you name them? Can you demonstrate with a petition of property owners? And if there are "so many others" what are they not signing such petitions? Claiming to have a private army does not give you special magical powers, not can you assert your private army counts as more than one vote.

And, Ms Schaeffer, who do you mean by these "kids"?  If the individuals are over 18, does that mean they're not as offensive?  So, Ms Schaefer's (and her private army the SoManyOthers) objections appear to be that of a particular age group. And who decided that the hike, picnics or what-have-yous cannot happen on other public lands? There are plenty of lands set aside for the what-have-you goings-on. Instead Ms Schaefer has problems with minors interfering with her what-have-you, which sounds a little distasteful.

If I understood correctly at the San Diego OffRoad Coalition meeting, being a member of AMA District 38 etc. would suffice as a competition card. I also do not have a Green/Red sticker bike, but if I know this state what will be next is a sticker to drive your plated machine off road. Kinda of like the adventure pass...I am sure the AMA did not fight this very hard as it means bolstered memberships.

I understand it won't be difficult to acquire a competition card (whatever that is) but I expect soon there will be a requirement to be operating the machine in a competition- THAT'S where this is going. 

They're going to say "OK you can have your "competition only vehicles". We won't stop you. As long as you're operating in a competition.

Might be a few years. But watch- they're changing the language.

The sponsoring senator represents Santee. Would “ a person”  be in error to think he represents an effort to maintain access, since it is due to Expire in ‘21?

Maintaining access, with a quieter muffler outfitted with a sparky. That is it.