thecerver

New KTM 350 EXC guy in El Cajon

Thanks for including me in the group! 

I have a 2018 KTM 350 EXC-F and I'm a relatively new rider. I joined the group to find new trails, ask questions about my bike, and understand how to use my Garmin Montana.

I'll probably post these in in the appropriate areas but here's a start:

Bike

• It bounces around at speeds over 50mph. I know it's not a freeway cruiser but it feels sketchy. I'm trying to fix that issue by balancing the tire, checking the spokes, and alignment
  • Should I change the exhaust tip? I went down a YouTube rabbit hole on how it will give me more power, but I think I'll work on skills first.

Trails

• I typically go to Ocotillo and Superstition. However, I'm looking for more trees and scenery

GPS

• I need to better understand how to use my Garmin. Tips would be appreciated.

Also, I'm a HUGE AZTEC fan!

Mike

• Like 2

Make sure that your wheels are balanced, especially the front one.  I had to add 2 ounces of weights to the front wheel on my FE 501 right after I bought it.  Just bounced around at highway speed.  After I added the weights, it was a happy camper on the pavement.

Welcome to the forum.😎

dirt dame, Thank you for the help and the quick response. I tried balancing the front and it definitely reduced the bouncing. It took over 3 ounces of weights which just seems odd. I'll pull off the tire and see if it's out of balance again.

I posted this question on Reddit and someone suggested checking the spoke tension. So, I'll do that as well.

Mike

18 minutes ago, thecerver said:

dirt dame, Thank you for the help and the quick response. I tried balancing the front and it definitely reduced the bouncing. It took over 3 ounces of weights which just seems odd. I'll pull off the tire and see if it's out of balance again.

I posted this question on Reddit and someone suggested checking the spoke tension. So, I'll do that as well.

Mike

It would be unusual, but not impossible.  I read about a guy who had practically all of his rear wheel spokes come loose on his KTM.  He claimed that he checked them regularly and that they did this all of a sudden, but I find that highly unlikely.

Stupid newbie forum question...how do you add a signature? (Found it...Account Settings)

The only thing I in my profile was the About Me.

The KTM 350 looks like a cool bike, I haven't ridden one yet.  The front rim lock is likely causing your balance issues, they weigh a few ounces so it's no surprise that it takes a couple on the opposite side to balance it.

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

2 hours ago, thecerver said:

Mike

The rim lock is heavy this is normally the big factor in the bounce unbalance. some folks even add another rimlock opposite to avoid spoke or stick on weights. I have balanced 100% offroad bikes since the 1990s a spinning mass is always better when in balance.

My choice are brass spoke weights with set screws, you can find them on amazon or elsewhere, all my (race) dirtbikes have them. For cosmetics I usually spray them black before installing

• Like 1

Welcome to the group 👍

The rear spring is also usually designed for 160-170 lb rider, getting the suspension set up for your weight and type of riding you do is really huge!  
I should do that sometime 🤔

• Like 1

Wierider made the best point. Set your suspension properly before anything else. 

• Like 1

Everyone,

THANK YOU for the advice and the welcome. I have some things to tweak on my KTM:

1. Suspension setup
  2. Wheel Balance
  3. Spoke tension

I can tell this is going to be a great group to be part of.

Mike

• Like 2

Welcome. 
Get your bike setup properly then some of us old guys and girls will see what you got. 

• Like 1

Always remember back in the heady days when Shane Watts was a World class racer. Came to the US GNCC series and raced different box stock KTMs for his season and won the Championship over a big list of AA US offroad guys on factory level machines. All he did was adjust clickers it that.......he was right in the OEM weight range. So per another ISDE gold guy I know get your spring rates correct/ sag setting, heavier spring means little more REB dampening to make up for a heavy spring. And if you go local let George at S101 get you dialed in, he is our best local tuner (IMO). If you want others for suggestion, I have great experience with others as well.

2 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Always remember back in the heady days when Shane Watts was a World class racer. Came to the US GNCC series and raced different box stock KTMs for his season and won the Championship over a big list of AA US offroad guys on factory level machines. All he did was adjust clickers it that.......he was right in the OEM weight range. So per another ISDE gold guy I know get your spring rates correct/ sag setting, heavier spring means little more REB dampening to make up for a heavy spring. And if you go local let George at S101 get you dialed in, he is our best local tuner (IMO). If you want others for suggestion, I have great experience with others as well.

Robertaccio,

Thanks for the detail info and the history! I really enjoyed it. I'm going to try and get it dialed in myself. I'm probably 185 in gear, so the stock equipment should work...right?

If I'm still having issues I'll check George out but whats S101? 

On 6/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, Ken S said:

Welcome. 
Get your bike setup properly then some of us old guys and girls will see what you got. 

Thanks! I ain't got much! 🤣 

17 minutes ago, thecerver said:

Robertaccio,

Thanks for the detail info and the history! I really enjoyed it. I'm going to try and get it dialed in myself. I'm probably 185 in gear, so the stock equipment should work...right?

---found it in another thread

I wanted to give a shout out for George at Suspension 101 in Alpine, CA @ 619-997-5193. George set-up my suspension (based riding ability, type(s) of riding, typical "fully loaded" riding weight, etc.) prior to an epic 5-day Baja ride. I totally dug the new rear set-up and after discusssing the front set-up with George over the phone, with a few turns of the shock, I now totally dig the front set-up as well! Thanks George!

Chris

George has now done 3 of my bikes.

The KTM 990 was done by a company called SuperPlush back in 08 when it was new and at the time they were the premier go to place for the bike bikes. I rode it that way for over 12 years then George got his hands on it.

Simply put it is a totally different bike, I wish it rode like this when i was 10 years younger would of made me an even better rider.
Cant say enough about his work and attention to detail. 
It may cost more than others but you get

EXACTLY
WHAT
YOU
PAY
FOR

I can not same the same for others I have had do suspension for me on other KTMs.

Just my .02

Oh and we occasionally do tech days but you can PM if you need help getting suspension dialed or whatnot always in the shop on the weekends (at least one of the days)

Welcome to the group Mike

I'm over here in Jamul if you wanna get a few miles of dirt in

13 hours ago, thecerver said:

S101 = Suspension 101. That is George's company name.

• Like 1

I will suggest to set everything according to your manual, KTM kinda knows what works on their bikes and how they are designed. just check your sag by the book that should get you very close. It sounds like you are in the OEM right weight range for the stock spring rates, that's always a bonus.

There should not be more you need to do as an ammie DS trail rider on a stock bike within the OEM weight spec. The book usually has light and sporty settings for clickers go soft/comfort first and work up to sport if you need it.

My observations are that I see  way too many riders (not so much racers because they are critical of settings) that have very low/deep rider sag in the rear causing the chopper stance, slowing steering and unbalancing the designed in F and R weight bias. Many of them mention the result of this unbalanced set up "my bike doesn't turn well" and " My front tire washes out all the time" 

when I rode and raced PDS bikes I was a tight sag guy always at the lower limit but maintaining a good static setting , at that time if I remember correctly 35mm static and short 105-110 race sag, due to being big and riding the mid-rear of the seat not the tank