Sign in to follow this  
BillP

Vehicle Access Sign

What does this sign mean?  The icons are from the DOT document (MUTCD) for recreational vehicles.  The title for the motorcycle sign (RL-150) is "Trail Bike".  My take is that licensed cars, trucks and my plated dual-sport should be OK but ranger does not seem to agree.  Sign is at start of dirt road to my fishing hole in national forest.  KIMG0056_3.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fi

Seems to me that signs usually have either "no motorized vehicles", "wilderness area" or "street licensed vehicles only" posted on them to clarify exactly what they want on a given route.  That has been my experience, at least.  Something seems to be missing from that sign post.  But I'm going to bet that it means that no motorized vehicles are allowed.

BG_E-bike_Lunch-loops_025.jpg.d951f83648

BG_E-bike_Lunch-loops_025.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 6:36 AM, dirt dame said:

Seems to me that signs usually have either "no motorized vehicles", "wilderness area" or "street licensed vehicles only" posted on them to clarify exactly what they want on a given route.  That has been my experience, at least.  Something seems to be missing from that sign post.  But I'm going to bet that it means that no motorized vehicles are allowed.

wow no e bikes....that didn't take long, even our new tech, non polluting, eco friendly,  quiet E friendly bikes are prohibited........all the attributes that the greenies were yelling for.

Thanks for links Robert, love my ebike and when I got it couple years ago was happy to see alot of groups supporting ebikes but have noticed some trails now not ebike approved. Still don't get it. Only really helpful on the climbs, 

the good thing about the hi end ebikes are that they are kind of cammo as far the propulsion unit goes. Ive been on and around Specialized Levos and they look like fat framed bicycles

Using common sense, I say no to motorized vehicles. If Street licensed Bikes/Cars/Tractors, ec. where exempt, some smart US government employee would have put up a sign saying "Street legal vehicles allowed"

2 hours ago, robertaccio said:

the good thing about the hi end ebikes are that they are kind of cammo as far the propulsion unit goes. Ive been on and around Specialized Levos and they look like fat framed bicycles

Yup with my haibike people can't even notice with the integrated battery in frame

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback - the road goes to 4 dispersed camp sites next to the river full of tire tracks.  No FS route number.  I rode to the river, fished a little and didn't notice the sign until my way out.  I guess I'll give the ranger a call to clarify the intention of the sign which appears to be incomplete.  If the intention is no motorized vehicles, I'll go elsewhere where hopefully the trout are larger.  Follow up question for anyone interested.  A nearby state campground shows only the same RL-150 (no trail bikes) sign.  Autos are definitely legal here.  Are there public roads where autos are legal but not street legal motorcycles?  (Doesn't this violate one of our inalienable rights?)  In this case, I suspect this sign does refer to dirt bikes as the campground is adjacent to an OHV park.