ADV Bum

Looking for a used 500 exc f - questions

So I am considering buying another bike.  I think the ktm 500 is what I am looking at. Looking for used so there a many of them out there. They seem to have a good reliability reputation.  Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for when considering the purchase?

Thank you

I would definitely look for one that has been desmogged, has a tune, an exhuast, and is dialed in. There's a $1000 worth of upgrades right there that the seller isn't going to get back. Other nice to haves would be a Rekluse, oversized tank, and a good seat. Again, those are parts the owner isn't going to recoup much of their investment on. Have you decided on a year / price point?

I am looking at getting a 2014-2016.  In the research I did the 2014-2016 were good years to get, They held a little more oil and I wanted the kickstart that came stock in those years. Also I believe that was the last year you could flash the ECU without changing it out. 

Well, you used to be able to flash the ECU...now the problem is finding someone to do it. The dealers will no longer do it. Some small shops probably will. Anyway a 2015 just popped up on SoCal Dual Sport Riders...looks pretty clean and has everything already done...2012 to 2016 500's are outstanding.

Talk to George about the suspension changes in ‘17.  Some think not for the better

There are so many opinions going both ways regarding so many aspects of the change from 2016 to 2017-present.  Some of the important things for me are -  they say the size of the bike/ frame was shrunken, so newer is slightly more crowded. The sub frame on the older bikes are stronger therefore better for luggage capacities. As mentioned before, I wanted the kick start that came with the older version.

I made my decision. 2016 500 exc Sixdays.  Thank you for those who sent me bikes for sale.

819828081_Lucvalentinktm500.thumb.jpg.6c621ecc52c62059b4012d1879f10d2f.jpg

• Like 2

Nice machine.  Give me the DR350!

• Like 1

Dang! Nice bike, care to share some details?

• Like 1

That is a pretty good match for you.

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

That is a pretty good match for you.

That is what I thought. As close as I could get so that I would not have to put a bunch money into it. I am hoping the suspension will do. I cant afford to spend the money for the suspension right now. 

3 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

I was gonna send you that one, pretty awesome. 
CONGRATS👍👍

Thank you 

16 hours ago, tntmo said:

Nice machine.  Give me the DR350!

Sorry Tom I am keeping it. It will have its place. I have never had a " Modern" bike like this KTM and understand the only thing you really dont want to do is put a lot of freeway miles on it. I will keep the air cooled stuff so that I can not put so much wear and tear on this KTM where the freeway is a concerned.

Congrats Mike, looks like a great bike for you.

1 hour ago, Wierdrider said:

Pro Moto makes a good rack too I think?

Yep...Pro Moto Billet - Fastway racks are very strong and very expensive...but you get what you pay for. I have had 2 so far on my last 2 bikes. They are indestructible. I have one now on my 2018 KTM 500 EXC-F it is just as good as the last two I've had. Also have one of their kickstands that CID is talking about. Very strong.

I think this is their rack for your bike https://fastway.zone/product/pmb-01-3209-g/

Congrats on the new bike. I find my 500 to be a very versatile bike.

Not in Kansas anymore. The 500 just got dropped off. Nice bike. The bike is so skinny.  The bike is pretty tall. It should be easy to add the amenities I have planned. 

First round - 

Fastway  kickstand - CID suggestion

Tms design skidplate

Globetrottin rack - Oracle suggestion

Tall risers ( previous owner included taller set)

Gps mounts so I can use my units on both bikes

Tubliss

Previous owner had a new piston and rings put in so I will have to go through the break in procedure.

439292118_ktm500990.thumb.jpg.3b1f2836e6186591cde8621320a6e29a.jpg

• Like 1

So, did you buy the bike without actually seeing it in person? Hearing it run, etc?

I face timed him with the bike. He started, ran and went over the bike with me while face timing. I had researched him pretty thorough. the owner did not ride it, but his bike came in 8th in the Sonora Rally.  The owner freshened the bike with new piston and rings, swing arm bearings and repacked the muffler. He wanted to sell it in tip top shape. They seem to be very upstanding people. The bike was taken to a shop and transaction done through them. 

• Like 1