wildwood

Motocross rider Marty Smith dies in dune buggy accident ...

I know, a total bummer, very sad....condolences to all family, friends and fans of both he and his wife.

I personally know people who knew him well since he's from San Diego. 

1 hour ago, simicrintz said:

Saw that pic also; they say taken just a short while before the crash :(

A bit of word through the grapevine, but that picture is telling. The word I got was Marty didn't have belts on, and his wife only had a lap belt. It took over an hour for any assistance to get to them.

Very sad, but take lessons from this week. Safeguarding yourself while involved with activity in remote areas should be your first priority.  ATGATT is no joke. Please take heed for yourself and those who care about you.  Godspeed and God Bless to those we lost this week, and their families....

I heard the same thing, wildwood.  I suspect whatever happened happened on the driver's side, which is why the Ramage's survived (and were probably wearing a full harness). 

Over the last few years Marty was losing his passion for motorcycles. After his racing career he rode track two times a week training till he was in his sixties.  That is a lot of years, and God knows how many hours. Sent me a picture last year hucking a 120 foot jump at Pala. He and Nancy loved going to the dunes on uncrowded week days and playing in their buggy. That was their passion. Kept the buggy spotless like he did pretty much all his toys. He told me recently that he has truly had a blessed life. That statement in my eyes revealed two things. 1. That he truly did have a blessed life. A great career doing what he loved doing every day.  2. It was a reflection of his belief, and his attitude on life, always with that smile.

They took care of his parents at their home until they passed with his mom passing just a few weeks ago. Simply good people. I probably was not much of a fan of Marty till I got to know him. I soon became a big fan and now with a heavy heart I miss him very much. I have a bottle of tequila they gave me in the freezer. Myself and a very good friend of his are going to partake in your honor Marty and Nancy.

Blessed to the end I would say. Leaving while doing what they loved, together. That picture tells a story.

See you on the rebound my friends.

• Like 1