Goofy Footer

Suspension Sag With / Without Gear

How much of a difference do you see on your bike's Sag when you ride heavy vs riding light?

I usually ride with medium backpack and Giant Loop Mojave bags loaded with tools and gear. Recently, I did a day couple rides without the GL gear and just used a smaller backpack.  I felt the rear end was more firm. Still a good ride but I was bouncing and kicking off the back more. Also I'm barely compressing the rear shock getting onto the bike.

Your answer is in that video. 😉

• Like 1

BP619 gave me a tip, to add 2 turns in on my rear spring when loading up for a bike camping run. Worked out great and easy application without all the technical jargon. 

Suspension 101 sag setting originally, then added 2 turns in. Take out when done with camping gear. 

DSCN0833.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 9:29 PM, wildwood said:

BP619 gave me a tip, to add 2 turns in on my rear spring when loading up for a bike camping run. Worked out great and easy application without all the technical jargon. 

Suspension 101 sag setting originally, then added 2 turns in. Take out when done with camping gear. 

As a fan Im curious what year and model. I am restoring my ex 2008 TXC450 race/trail bike as we speak.

Hey Robert. That's the old '09' TE310 I bought from Blake around 2015.  Just love the bike, and since the e-start with kicker backup has fallen out of favor with manufactures, I've hesitated upgrading to something newer. It's always served me well enough, just going to be a keeper.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:29 PM, wildwood said:

Yup 2 turns is perfect should be 8-11mm of sag compensation

I adjust mine based on how much I have packed. I use a scale. When I did the Arizona Peace Trail a few weeks ago with a couple buds, I advised them to adjust their sag because we were carrying 7 days worth of stuff on small bikes. One of them didn't and it had a very negative affect on his bike handling. There were section he just could not get up because the bike would want to wheelie too easily. With proper sag setting, he wouldn't have had an issue and he would have had more fun in the techincal sections were encountered. It's that important. 

At what point to you start feeling like sag needs to be adjusted?

Meaning- if you just camp for a night does it change if you are just day riding?

I haven't weighed my load from the Husky pick, but with gear, extra water (7.48 lb per gal), whisky, it's around 40#'s or more.  If you pack like Kiwi Wayne (maybe half that [his evening steak probably weighs 5lbs.]) he can get more in a bag with less weight than anyone I've ever seen,

IMG_20170401_195236_422.thumb.jpg.e49a527e94bb9fc50014979e106dc9cc.jpg.9386a87aa2a0c70eacf9cd642cecf0b8.jpg

you might skip an adjustment if you plan to ride after unloaded.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 6:06 PM, bboyle9 said:

At what point to you start feeling like sag needs to be adjusted?

Meaning- if you just camp for a night does it change if you are just day riding?

If you are doing a one nighter, and the terrain is not overly technical, there is probably not need to adjust sag for that (assuming minimal weight of stuff needed to get through one night). When you are packing for multiple days and adding in some technical up hills sections, then it's very necessary.