ADV Bum

Rider missing in OTAY area

There are only a few motorized trails up there. They've all been scoured by everybody and their brother today.  Driving around on the same roads again isn't going to yield a different result.  He most likely took a hiking trail into the wilderness area so he needs to be found by helicopter or drone.  LEOs are performing an active search.  Civilians in the area will potentially cover up his tracks, create new tracks that will be a distraction or just be a visual distraction when they're performing their search.

If he isn't found by tomorrow morning and there's a coordinated effort starting , I'm available to join in.  I have a Spot system, and I know others in the forum use them too.  Can these be linked to coordinate a search zone so that search trails can be identified and recorded to direct coverage?

I think first is to let the LEO do what they are going to do and then take to the hills if they open it up. I am sure we can figure something out to create a map that show what trails have been searched if it comes to that.

I'm under the impression they are organizing at the Pio Pico Campground.

I'd suggest going there and asking how and if you can help.

I would assume they might turn you away if they feel they don't need more help. Or maybe they would send you to search a secondary area.

Guest BrianInSD

Me and a buddy were in the private helicopter searching today. We are both moto riders and know the area well. We tried all the main trails, the off-shoots, the open mine shafts, no luck yet.

I’ll be heading out there tomorrow morning on the adventure bike to continue searching.

Feel free to coordinate/message me on instagram @brianinsd

Guest Chris
13 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

I hope this works out OK

Its possible he covered a lot of ground

From my perspective thats Cuyamaca in the background looking east, Its seems a bit close and north to be taken from Otay

We found exactly where that picture was taken today with border patrol.  They started scouting the ravines.  It’s the clearing where the two trees are where you can go down to the mine  

16 minutes ago, Guest Chris said:

We found exactly where that picture was taken today with border patrol.  They started scouting the ravines.  It’s the clearing where the two trees are where you can go down to the mine  

Any chance you can show a pin in Google maps where you think the picture was taken? I'm in the Descanso area but I can't quite figure out the perspective.

I am available to help.

I will be heading to pio in the morning in hopes of understanding how I can best help.

Will have my moto and ebike in the truck along with hiking gear and spot tracker. 

I will be watching the thread and Facebook for any updates, please help keep this updated 👍

• Like 1

Guest BrianInSD
37 minutes ago, wildwood said:

Any chance you can show a pin in Google maps where you think the picture was taken? I'm in the Descanso area but I can't quite figure out the perspective.

Here is exactly where he took that picture, it’s above Mine Canyon by the SoCal Gun Club.

A buddy and I searched in a private helicopter in the late afternoon in that area, no trace. I’ll be back out on motorcycle in the morning.

His Photo Location:

https://goo.gl/maps/vjmPFcAtY99Hxyho9

4 hours ago, Guest BrianInSD said:

Here is exactly where he took that picture, it’s above Mine Canyon by the SoCal Gun Club.

A buddy and I searched in a private helicopter in the late afternoon in that area, no trace. I’ll be back out on motorcycle in the morning.

His Photo Location:

https://goo.gl/maps/vjmPFcAtY99Hxyho9

Thanks, that is a big help. I was searching Google Maps and using street view last night. I thought I could make out that mountain off 94, and your pin confirms this.

I can ride in from my location down Japatul Rd. and be to this area in 30 min.  Does anyone want to meet at the 94/Honey Springs Rd.JCT. to buddy up for a look around from the east end.  My opinion would be to get some 2 rider teams together today and go looking from where his known location was.  Fuel might be an issue, so having someone stage with extra fuel would be helpful too.  I might be able to assist with that as well.  I'll keep monitoring here to see if something begins to organize. Getting bike ready to head out if needed.

Image1.thumb.jpg.891617f4236d5314c4009ffa2616c4fc.jpg 

Does anyone know his riding buddies? Most my riding buddies know my loop.

See if we can get a .GPX route from them, or anyone know his local loop he do from his house?

He wasn't supposed to come home till 4:30pm, photo was taken at 12:22pm and he has half tank of gas left in that photo.

Be nice while other's are searching "ping" of cell phone, other group of riders could continue the loop he would've taken from that photo to his home.

Just thinking outside the box, while strong presence is at the "ping", maybe cover all bases in case his phone, accidentally fell out his camelbak. Just another thing to rule out, for peace of mind.

• Like 1

I had same feeling Luna that he isn't in that exact area and he went exploring more, I might be able to help tomorrow on Moto if wife gets shift at hospital cancelled but will probably be to late by then, good hearing brianinsd is on search I rode with him at McCain couple of months ago and he's extremely experienced and knowledgeable about back trails in San Diego so have high hopes.

14 hours ago, Ken S said:

Tough part about this. He’s riding a Beta 500 4 stroke with what appears to be a 4 gallon tank. 
His wife told me all they had to go on was gps coordinates from a photo he sent them. 
That was probably 1gallon of fuel into his ride. 
Leaves a huge area of possibilities of where he could have gone. 
I’ve ridden with Bobby and he’s a skilled and responsible rider. Not a newb. 
Many prayers sent. 

With that amount of fuel range he could be A long ways from the Otay area.

I'll repeat for those who can't read the whole thread:

They are organizing at the Pio Pico Campground. I'd suggest going there and asking how and if you can help. I would assume they might turn you away if they feel they don't need more help. Or maybe they would send you to search a secondary area.

Also, I am no search and rescue expert, but let me add a few things:

• They most likely don't need people to just ride the jeep trails. They will likely need people to go down smaller harder single track.
  • Also, riding a noisy bike where you can't hear anything and nearby searchers can't hear anything may be a problem.
  • You will want to stop every 50 yards and the outside of every corner, turn off all the noise and call for the lost rider and listen.
  • Remember, just riding the jeep trails is of limited help. Searching involves lots of stopping, listening and calling!
  • They have had injuries among the searchers. Don't become another problem out there.
  • There is little cell phone service out there. Bring your ham radio, spot or inreach, and file a riding plan!
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vintage Veloce said:

I'll repeat for those who can't read the whole thread:

They are organizing at the Pio Pico Campground. I'd suggest going there and asking how and if you can help. I would assume they might turn you away if they feel they don't need more help. Or maybe they would send you to search a secondary area.

Also, I am no search and rescue expert, but let me add a few things:

• They most likely don't need people to just ride the jeep trails. They will likely need people to go down smaller harder single track.
  • Also, riding a noisy bike where you can't hear anything and nearby searchers can't hear anything may be a problem.
  • You will want to stop every 50 yards and the outside of every corner, turn off all the noise and call for the lost rider and listen.
  • Remember, just riding the jeep trails is of limited help. Searching involves lots of stopping, listening and calling!
  • They have had injuries among the searchers. Don't become another problem out there.
  • There is little cell phone service out there. Bring your ham radio, spot or inreach, and file a riding plan!

Bring plenty of water , snack and a Paper map if you have one. If you use your cellphone bring a charger cable and extra Power pack. Solid shoes are common sense. Walking is much more helpful than riding. Sunshade and lotion. Sorry I am not walk fit as I use to be.

I have more intel, this is from 2 hours ago while a buddy was at the Pio Pico basecamp.

Just got the bike not too long go.

Has ridden maybe 4-5 times, each time solo. That is why we are not getting help from any riding buddies.

***disclaimer take this with a grain of salt, this what I've been told by a rider at Pio Pico at 11am at the basecamp. They aren't trusting the "Ping" location, so they want to look eastside of Otay Mtn again"**** I hate posting hearsay, but it's only info I got. So with that.

I'll be going today to help search at 3pm from Pio Pico. Advanced Riders Only in group I'm going with. We are taking our HAM radios.

Going to cover from Pio Pico Otay Mtn Trail to up to Towers then down East Otay Mtn Trail to Dulzura, then North towards Pink Gate, then heading back to Pio Pico. Covering north east side of Otay Mtn.

Hi all, this in regarding the search for Bobby up on Otay Mountain. I talked to the Sheriff's Command Post and was asked to pass on the following:

The only information known for sure is the last cell phone ping had an 800 meter radius and could have been deflected off hillsides making it hard to pinpoint. They haven't decided on one lake or any other, if at all. In other words, Bobby can still be anywhere. They are monitoring social media and any leads they can get off of there, but there is a lot of speculation and assumptions being posted which is not helping.

A major issue right now is the amount of inexperienced riders and 4-wheelers that are up there, aside from the sheer volume of people up there. These people are crashing, rolling, or blocking access routes that is preventing Sheriff's, Fire, and SAR teams from solely focusing on the search itself and accessing points they need to access and search. Sheriff's welcomes assistance with the search but is asking for Expert/Advanced riders and Expert/Advanced small ATV's only to be up on the mountain searching, for everyone's safety and their ability to focus on the search.

They are also unable to coordinate search efforts by the public due to the inherent dangerous conditions of mountain riding and search efforts up there. They can't tell private citizens to put themselves at risk, which is what would happen if they were to coordinate it.

Sheriff's would like anyone with any information to call their Dispatch center at (858) 565-5200.

Stay safe!

If there have not found him Today, I will go down Tomorrow and see where I can help. Will bring WalkyTalky (Baofeng) Flashlights. Binocular, GPS, Walking sticks some rope, and ???? 

45 minutes ago, luna said:

I have more intel, this is from 2 hours ago while a buddy was at the Pio Pico basecamp.

Just got the bike not too long go.

Has ridden maybe 4-5 times, each time solo. That is why we are not getting help from any riding buddies.

***disclaimer take this with a grain of salt, this what I've been told by a rider at Pio Pico at 11am at the basecamp. They aren't trusting the "Ping" location, so they want to look eastside of Otay Mtn again"**** I hate posting hearsay, but it's only info I got. So with that.

I'll be going today to help search at 3pm from Pio Pico. Advanced Riders Only in group I'm going with. We are taking our HAM radios.

Going to cover from Pio Pico Otay Mtn Trail to up to Towers then down East Otay Mtn Trail to Dulzura, then North towards Pink Gate, then heading back to Pio Pico. Covering north east side of Otay Mtn.

20 hours ago, Ken S said:

Tough part about this. He’s riding a Beta 500 4 stroke with what appears to be a 4 gallon tank. 
His wife told me all they had to go on was gps coordinates from a photo he sent them. 
That was probably 1gallon of fuel into his ride. 
Leaves a huge area of possibilities of where he could have gone. 
I’ve ridden with Bobby and he’s a skilled and responsible rider. Not a newb. 
Many prayers sent. 

Skilled rider or not?

From a FB post by Lillie Chase:
Lillie Chase shared her first post.

Hi all, this in regarding the search for Bobby up on Otay Mountain. I talked to the Sheriff's Command Post and was asked to pass on the following:

The only information known for sure is the last cell phone ping had an 800 meter radius and could have been deflected off hillsides making it hard to pinpoint. They haven't decided on one lake or any other, if at all. In other words, Bobby can still be anywhere. They are monitoring social media and any leads they can get off of there, but there is a lot of speculation and assumptions being posted which is not helping.

A major issue right now is the amount of inexperienced riders and 4-wheelers that are up there, aside from the sheer volume of people up there. These people are crashing, rolling, or blocking access routes that is preventing Sheriff's, Fire, and SAR teams from solely focusing on the search itself and accessing points they need to access and search. Sheriff's welcomes assistance with the search but is asking for Expert/Advanced riders and Expert/Advanced small ATV's only to be up on the mountain searching, for everyone's safety and their ability to focus on the search.

They are also unable to coordinate search efforts by the public due to the inherent dangerous conditions of mountain riding and search efforts up there. They can't tell private citizens to put themselves at risk, which is what would happen if they were to coordinate it.

Sheriff's would like anyone with any information to call their Dispatch center at (858) 565-5200.

Stay safe!

1 hour ago, tvscum said:

Skilled rider or not?

Rode with him Tecate single track if it’s the same Bobby. 
Looks like him but I could be mistaken 

Ive probably risen with close to 1000 people over the years between SDAR Los Ancianos Dirt Bike Meetups and D-38 

Anyone have an update ? 

FYI, I rode out today At 6 am to Otay truck trail/range area/Pio Pico/ Marron Vly rd/many loops, in,outs, and nothing. We also rode some two track rugged Jeep trails  Behind the makeshift gun range off the 94 and nothing. I met some riders and they also had no news, this was as of 2 pm. The cell coverage area is not good in that area. 🙁

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information