ADV Bum

Rider missing in OTAY area

At this point, it seems unlikely the lost rider is laying *on* the trail somewhere.

Is there a protocol for searching from a motorcycle? How are people searching? I fear many are just using the search as an excuse to get out there riding and jeeping without contributing to the search as much as we'd hope.

• are people just riding along scanning the edge of the trail?
  • or are you stopping at the outside of every corner, killing your engine, calling out and listening?
  • or are you stopping every 100ft, killing your engine, calling out and listening?
  • or maybe even riding to a remote location, changing into hiking gear and hiking/searching on foot?

Also, has a description of the lost rider's helmet jersey and other gear been announced? Was he carrying any extra water or survival gear?

• Like 1

Guest Yesi Lopez
14 hours ago, Guest Funguy said:

Has anyone posted his helmet color? Jersey color? 

He was wearing a Motocross gear and a blue Fox shirt

5 minutes ago, Vintage Veloce said:

At this point, it seems unlikely the lost rider is laying *on* the trail somewhere.

Is there a protocol for searching from a motorcycle? How are people searching? I fear many are just using the search as an excuse to get out there riding and jeeping without contributing to the search as much as we'd hope.

• are people just riding along scanning the edge of the trail?
  • or are you stopping at the outside of every corner, killing your engine, calling out and listening?
  • or are you stopping every 100ft, killing your engine, calling out and listening?
  • or maybe even riding to a remote location, changing into hiking gear and hiking/searching on foot?

Also, has a description of the lost rider's helmet jersey and other gear been announced? Was he carrying any extra water or survival gear?

I believe if you read the comments posted you would see that people have adjusted their searches from just covering the trails to hiking in and searching. 

2 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

I believe if you read the comments posted you would see that people have adjusted their searches from just covering the trails to hiking in and searching. 

Some of the Tuesday tracks posted seemed to cover a lot of ground... implying motorized search. I think both have their place and time. Early in the search (hours) you just want to bomb the trails in case the guy just had a simple breakdown. But after that I think you need to start calling and listening. And of course, further away from the primary search area, looser searches may be useful, etc. Hey, I'm no expert... just thinking.

• Like 1

I believe most people who are out helping know what is needed at this point. Many are still looking into area's that may not have been traveled. Many others are hiking, beating the brush and searching by foot the areas that cannot be accessed by bike. All have a common goal to help this man and should be praised for doing so!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tvscum said:

Has someone has walked that gnarly hill above Mocogo Ranch house here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6227194,-116.7919327,706a,35y,39.17t/data=!3m1!1e3

That is tough hill to descend and there are two routes.

Private helicopter just circled that hill.. no other chopper activity this morning so far.

https://planefinder.net/flight/N404GG

private.JPG

Guest Following
3 hours ago, tvscum said:

She deleted this post... not sure what that means.  Glad you posted this because it reminds me he was a volunteer firefighter.

She removed it from Instagram as well. Curious... there were 2 Helicopters (private and sheriff's) this morning circling the area, have landed maybe for lunch break....

Hoping for good news to be shared publically soon.

My friend went out this morning to do drone searching...here's his email to me...really sad, condolences to all family and friends, RIP.

Thanks to all who helped in the search effort.

We were going to go meet at the site Command at 6:30am tomorrow as a drone group, with specific locations to fly so as not to cross in flight.....mapping large areas.....the data would have been loaded into a new program that can sort thru thousands of images and pick out a body or mc.......however just got word.....he's been found and recovered,  he did not survive, and there is NO other info.....yet.  

I am not yet seeing any info online......and there's no update on his daughters FB Page.  This info is coming from the site commander, who is a SD County Sheriff.

Sorry to see this. Guess we all take a chance and learn from this. R.I.P.

Sad story, to go along a few others this week, BTW news report says, found him near Alta Rd, where is Alta Rd? Is it near an area that was searched?

It wasn't on maps I see it near the prison by Brown field, yes?

It's the industrial area south of the prison.

I had a feeling that he may be over that way, there's a trail that goes under the 125. 

RIP to the rider and glad the family has closure.  This hits pretty close to home with me because just a few years ago I came across a dumped person that was almost dead, unresponsive etc..   So question we saved this kids life.    Also this is an area I ride once in a while and have done solo rides as well, although a bit more prepared.   I am sure they will do an autopsy and I hope he had a heart attack and didnt suffer with the elements. 

Godspeed Mr. Camou.

And a horrible situation for his family. So tough to be left indeterminate this whole time and then to have this be the end result. I'm sure they have all of our condolences.

The message for the rest of us: Don't ride alone. And if you must ride alone, file a ride plan with someone with your ride path, and don't deviate from it without letting them know. Carry a real emergency survival kit, and preferably a satellite beacon so a friend or family can track your progress (a bottle of water and a cell phone is not enough). Clearly, it's not just about you, the rider: it's about your friends and family and everyone who will search for you.

My condolences and best wishes to everyone.

Guest Guest

It wasn’t near Alta road. It’s off the truck trail about half a mile along a rutted scoot trail. Looked to be natural causes and not a crash 

Guest Guest H
9 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

It wasn’t near Alta road. It’s off the truck trail about half a mile along a rutted scoot trail. Looked to be natural causes and not a crash 

Where did you find that information?

Guest Guestt
13 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Do you mean no injuries but more likely exposure to the elements?

Guest Guest
5 minutes ago, Guest Guest H said:

Where did you find that information?

First hand information. Not giving any more specifics on location because there doesn’t need to be any more traffic up there. First impression on site was a heart attack or heat stroke 

Guest Guest56

Was the bike near him ? Or has it been located at all?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information