ADV Bum

Rider missing in OTAY area

Guest Trace call of who reported

I wonder if tracing the call back to who reported these calls heard for help would pinpoint where he is. 

I assume it may not be near the pink gate if that area... has been thoroughly searched?   

From post 10 on first page of this:

"FB inquiry - Where is there a body of water 60‘ x 3‘ near pink gate? The sheriff I spoke to said somebody reported calls for help from that area.
The brush is really overgrown and it’s really hot this is difficult"

Please report here when he is found.  

35 minutes ago, Vicresendez said:

Anyone have an update ? 

FYI, I rode out today At 6 am to Otay truck trail/range area/Pio Pico/ Marron Vly rd/many loops, in,outs, and nothing. We also rode some two track rugged Jeep trails  Behind the makeshift gun range off the 94 and nothing. I met some riders and they also had no news, this was as of 2 pm. The cell coverage area is not good in that area. 🙁

I dont think you will find someone down the grade by riding, You just disturb the searchers and making noise. Walking and checking every dropoff for signs of a crash will work.

• Like 1

Not real familiar with that area, but is it possible he went over the side of the 94 out towards Tecate? Some steep drops on the westbound side....everyone is focused on the hillside, what if he was actually making his way home. If he slabbed home what would his route have been?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Guest Trace call of who reported said:

I wonder if tracing the call back to who reported these calls heard for help would pinpoint where he is. 

I assume it may not be near the pink gate if that area... has been thoroughly searched?   

From post 10 on first page of this:

"FB inquiry - Where is there a body of water 60‘ x 3‘ near pink gate? The sheriff I spoke to said somebody reported calls for help from that area.
The brush is really overgrown and it’s really hot this is difficult"

Please report here when he is found.  

I believe the small pond is here 32.638971, -116.792698, or close to here, I know its before you head down the steep grade, it's semi- close to the pink gate.

If you head past the Pink gate headed east the grass is really over grown in this area 32.644920, -116.815884

it eventually leads back to Pio Pico.

I talked with any hikers or mountain bikers I came across as I rode in from Lyons Valley road to let people know about the issue. Covered about 80 mi. total looking off cliffs, in gulley's around  Honey Springs Rd., Deer Horn Valley, Mother Grundy. Lot's of stops and looking back at hidden reveals, out 7 mi. of power line roads and many driveways in the area. Met 2 other experience riders about noon, and teamed up with them. Unfortunately I chucked my chain around 2pm  near Campbell Ranch Rd off 94 and had to get picked up. The guys went on up 94 to Barrett Jct. and beyond. They knew the family and had good info on the matter.  They felt it was more helpful to check areas others were not so likely to be, which I think will be helpful in the larger scope. It sounded like it was a cluster f*ck around Otay. I hope Bobby gets found soon, this is terrible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildwood said:

I hope Bobby gets found soon, this is terrible.

Agreed...the longer it takes, the less likely it is that ....well, you know.😞

Guest CR5

Fellow rider following from El Paso. Hope there is good news at the end of all this. 

Went to Pio Pico  with a friend at 8 AM.   Nobody there except 1 other truck but they were gone.  While getting ready a guy in a jeep came by and gave us some basic info and asked us to check the area just south of 94 over to the Pink Gate.  The gate less than a mile up to the left was open he said.  We checked all thru there all the way over to the stone houses and Sycamore Canyon and then up the hill to Otay Truck Trail.  Saw him on the road again and said a trail on Marron Valley Rd almost to the gate had some fresh tracks they wanted checked out.   By the time we made it up to the top of this singletrack, been riding for 4-5 hours already and it was warm, the Sheriffs helicopter showed up.  Glad to be able to help out 

IMG_4304 (1).jpg

IMG_4308 (1).jpg

IMG_4312 (1).jpg

IMG_4315 (1).PNG

• Like 1

Just posted on FB:

Deevinda Lee Tosten I called my son this morning to let him know I had seen a dirt bike rider come down a fire Road and then go back up it and I never saw him come back down again it was Saturday late afternoon my son posted the following comment on the Jamul page “Where does he live? My mom lives on Honey Springs and saw a lone rider head up one of the fire trails late in the afternoon and did not see him come down. Is it possible he lives near 4 corners and he would have been up there?” I don’t know if this is related but I thought it maybe helpful information. The fire road runs from Honey Springs rd to Barret at Lake

I spent the day in the Otay area between Otay lake and the border. Small two and single track putting and stopping and walking the whole day. Search aircraft was flying overhead off and on the whole day. So bummed nobody has found anything, it's really strange, there's a lot of experienced riders out there. 

checking other areas definitely seems like a good idea at this point. 

As previously suggested, Binoculars and walking seems to be where the situation is at for the locations of "pings". I ran into some of his family, so bummed... Every ride is a blessing, every day is a gift. Thank you to everyone who is helping.

IMG_20200427_175321-EFFECTS-1.jpg

Screenshot_20200427-184543.png

IMG_20200427_154149.jpg

IMG_20200427_154153.jpg

• Like 1

I covered a lot of ground around Deerhorn Valley Rd., headed out off Manzanita Way past substation and followed power line road out a few miles to this point with 2 other riders.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B039'14.1%22N+116%C2%B041'11.5%22W/@32.6539271,-116.688042,650m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d32.6539237!4d-116.6865302

Looking on Google Maps, we still didn't hit every road out there, but we did talk to power line workers and they said they would convey news to chopper pilot who was setting poles in the area. That chopper was flying low and covering quite a bit of ground too. So hopefully this area had some decent coverage.

map1.thumb.jpg.b76d262308a6a207e9ed2f3518f423b4.jpg

You are all awesome for all you are doing to help this person. Thank you guys for making up such a great community!

• Like 1

I live on Honey Springs rd and frequent Otay/BLM area.  Short of the rocky overlooks where he would have been found already I can only field a few guesses.

#1 would be the hills next to the west end  of Otay Wilderness below the lake where it says "don't go here".  It is pretty treacherous especially with the recent rains.

#2 Would be Sycamore Canyon.  The gate is open near Ridge Rd and there are spots where a rider might go down but not back up.  There are a few BP but not many.  A lot of hikers go over the fence near the BP checkpoint.

#3 would be Ridge Rd.  There are some sensors out that way but it looks like you could ride straight into Mexico?  Hopefully he is stuck there trying to get back?

#4 A longshot but Barber Mtn Rd is very remote and might be crossed into by a determined rider?  There is a human or horse sized fence there on Cinnamon Dr that he could have got through.

Praying for the best!  Don't be a hero going through single-track as I'm sure the FLIR search will find him hopefully soon!

Guest BrianInSD
On 4/26/2020 at 6:31 PM, tvscum said:

All the choppers have landed.  Private chopper took a loop in the hills above Lyons Valley Rd in Jamul (McGinty Mtn mabye) on the way back to Gillespie field.

https://planefinder.net/flight/N34WH

Could you by chance screenshot the private choppers tracks from Sunday? Thanks.  

15 minutes ago, Guest BrianInSD said:

Could you by chance screenshot the private choppers tracks from Sunday? Thanks.  

Click on this link and zoom in... you have to select the latest track.. the dotted lines are where it dropped off radar

https://planefinder.net/flight/N34WH

xx.jpg

4 hours ago, tvscum said:

Just posted on FB:

Deevinda Lee Tosten I called my son this morning to let him know I had seen a dirt bike rider come down a fire Road and then go back up it and I never saw him come back down again it was Saturday late afternoon my son posted the following comment on the Jamul page “Where does he live? My mom lives on Honey Springs and saw a lone rider head up one of the fire trails late in the afternoon and did not see him come down. Is it possible he lives near 4 corners and he would have been up there?” I don’t know if this is related but I thought it maybe helpful information. The fire road runs from Honey Springs rd to Barret at Lake

another one... FB

Adam Wing We saw a flashlight up on the hills up above Barrett Lake enterance tonight off Lyons Valley Rd, thought it was kind of odd, being that the lake is closed. I don't know if this was the area he could be in?

Does anyone know Katie Camou personally? We're getting a lot of search area coverage compiled and published that the family doesn't necessarily know about. Just wondering if we shouldn't relay a link to them about what our group has done so far. It might help with the overall effort of know what areas have been covered, or still need to be covered.

Do we need a new thread with just the search data added?

Guest M Mayer

Any chance be ended up SW of the search area, near the prison? 

10 minutes ago, wildwood said:

Does anyone know Katie Camou personally? We're getting a lot of search area coverage compiled and published that the family doesn't necessarily know about. Just wondering if we shouldn't relay a link to them about what our group has done so far. It might help with the overall effort of know what areas have been covered, or still need to be covered.

Do we need a new thread with just the search data added?

I sent her another link. 

I will create another thread strictly for search data. 

Just now, ADV Bum said:

I sent her another link. 

I will create another thread strictly for search data. 

Cool. I just found the one of the guys I was riding with yesterday on FB and PM'ed him a link to our search page too.

Guest Following Post

From Katie via Facebook: 

"There was some false info from a FB page created on a meeting location. DO NOT GO THERE! That is sheriff territory and we are working with them, if you show up there, they will shut us down. If you have not received info from ME then it is not accurate. Know that I will post or send private messages on where to go from here. STOP creating community pages and call 911 or sheriffs if you have info, posting it on a community FB page is not the way to do it. Let the experts do their job please. Thank you and I know all of your intentions are pure and you are motivated by love. If you have negative things to say, keep it to yourself, think before you speak (type) it’s hurtful and I need to preserve my mental state and energy for my dad. This is my father, a dedicated husband of 30 years to my mom, a brother, a son, a friend."

Rory good seeing you out there.

***disclaimer just passing off second hand info what a rider told us at Pio Pico base, Per the son just got the bike about a month ago, it is street legal, only rode it 4-5 times. Each time went solo. Hasn't ridden since about 8 years ago.****

I don't imagine, being on single trails, if above is true.

Bummed we didn’t find him. We rode the north east side of Otay Mtn/Sycamore Canyon.

When we arrived at top of hill at Mocogo Ranch around 6ish last night, the helicopter showed up and was hovering around as we were searching too.
They were VERY low.  A Jeep tonight at 7pm, said he talked to a solo rider on Saturday, heading north entering Sycamore Canyon. Heading towards the rock house, which I’m assuming, not fact, Mocogo Ranch.
So if his photo is taken at Ridge Rd, around 12:22pm, then Jeep seeing, what could have been him at Sycamore Canyon gates. That would be north. Again Jeep said solo rider at 1pm and was talking to him, so not sure. Lot's of uncertainty.

If they are asking for silence in certain areas. Maybe someone can do, Ridge Rd to Tecate Divide to Tecate gas station route, to also check there. Super highly doubt it, but be nice someone just cover those bases too. There is a ton of people looking. Offroad community is strong! Stoked to see some many people trying!

Wish I could go more, and help longer, amazing all the volunteers already.

Stoked they're doing grids now, so we don't cover the same stuff over and over.

If you’re going to search, take your time on main roads, maybe down side of hill in the brush off just the main trail of Otay Mtn Rd, or maybe we aren’t in correct spot. I don’t know. I wish I did!

Need him found ASAP.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information