97xr400r

Hey 2 smoke guys, what's the bike to get?

well I went with the 300 XC-W TPI. It’s still in the crate and I get it tomorrow

• Like 2

Awesome. Make sure they down load the newest map. Just came out. Hopefully fixes the lack of oil issue. 
Lots of info out there. I know lots of guys are premixing 100:1 and running an aftermarket ecu. 
I keep threatening to get a 2021 but my 2018 is so dialed in and just got a fresh top end. 

Enjoy. Come ride Mc Cain with us. 
I’ll pm you. 

• Like 1

ps do not premix, you are only adding oil to the combustion chamber it is internet bs from a tech standpoint. do consider what Ken said about ECU work or change,  these bikes are E4 legal so the OEM ECU has lean fuel spots as well as low added/injected oil spots. These places would be where the emissions testing rpms live. I went with a Coober plug and play ECU. It is the same manufacturer as the OEM ECU but with Coober Engineering optimized fuel, oil and timing map. Optimized for stock engine long term performance. Another thing not talked about is to let that thing warm up fully before riding off. I start mine and get geared up......yes that long. 

39 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

ps do not premix, you are only adding oil to the combustion chamber it is internet bs from a tech standpoint. do consider what Ken said about ECU work or change,  these bikes are E4 legal so the OEM ECU has lean fuel spots as well as low added/injected oil spots. These places would be where the emissions testing rpms live. I went with a Coober plug and play ECU. It is the same manufacturer as the OEM ECU but with Coober Engineering optimized fuel, oil and timing map. Optimized for stock engine long term performance. Another thing not talked about is to let that thing warm up fully before riding off. I start mine and get geared up......yes that long. 

Thank you for the tips. I did see about letting it warm up and why it’s important.  I will look into the coober 

• Like 1

Oh and I am a Maxima guy however for the injector system oil on this bike I am only using the OEM spec MotoRex Cross Power 2T . As an aircraft guy I like OEM spec stuff for critical use environments. KTM R&D'd their TPI line using this oil for the injector system

Listen to Robert. He is very informed on this technology. I don’t have a TPI. I just hear from my friends with these what their doing. 

• Like 1

Yup need to look into ecu for my 2020 te300i running pretty lean and definitely want the added reliability

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ken S said:

Listen to Robert. He is very informed on this technology. I don’t have a TPI. I just hear from my friends with these what their doing. 

Wait Ken doesn't have a TPI bike???

.............there are still options available within the ORN, WHT and RED branded machines......

a note , rode with a friend yesterday he has the GET (Athena) ECU set up with the smartphone app for tuning. He has just the ECU not the entire injector relocation package. He also has a high comp head. He took 2 breaks to re adjust his mapping. For me this great for a pro race team,,, but completely over the top for us ammies. I got into this TPI band wagon to eliminate fine tuning evolutions. The Coober ECU is a simple plug and play unit, my hearty recommendation is the plug and play method. I believe in the OEM engineering dept to deliver a best all around machine in its stock form for us 99% ers. High Comp head= more loads on the crank bearings, more fuel quality demands. High comp head is great at 10k feet to equalize the performance but for most of the world and country we are below 5k. Adjustable maps especially at our level....most riders think they are going faster when the bike rips.....laps times even at the world class pro level tell a different story from MotoGP to MXGP. Just some opinion words to think about. PS 2014 TE300 , 2017 TX300, 2021 TE300i have never even touched the factory dyno tested PV preload.

Yup agreed on my 17 300xc with high comp head had more tuning and fuel issues for marginal gains went back to stock head when I did top end

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robertaccio said:

PS 2014 TE300 , 2017 TX300, 2021 TE300i have never even touched the factory dyno tested PV preload.

But, did you ever try the different colored springs for the valve? Isn't that basically the same as changing the  preload?

1 hour ago, Ptkatoomer said:

But, did you ever try the different colored springs for the valve? Isn't that basically the same as changing the  preload?

nope

Jarvis is so far out of the box, he's not a good comparo guy. But as stated (if true)  basically he has built himself a full sized enduro trials bike. low energy use machine.

Well I broke the bike in yesterday. What a fun bike.  I can believe how light it is.  I definitely need to do suspension work  but other than that, what an amazing machine.  I rode Bee Canyon to seek snow. I would say 30% of the ride was soupy mud and lots of deep puddles.  This now was fun,   Below the snow line was just fun. Tons of traction.  
however there was far too many SxS out there and a majority do not know what they are doing it seemed.

anyways, watching big for my skid plate and a few other items to show up

thanks again to all who gave advice and input. 

6DD42B7E-B457-402F-B1D5-1742DCB054C9.jpeg

B76328A3-393D-4064-84D2-B2B9029FA8DB.jpeg

91F01B82-C489-4E5D-9644-85E210B57FAE.jpeg

BC43E45C-5330-4DE4-AD8C-1A8D71A43B71.jpeg

9CA05D69-8CA7-4DAD-91BC-66C3A84D01D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Such a nice bike! Can you give a comparison to your 450L? First impressions etc.

1 hour ago, 97xr400r said:

Such a nice bike! Can you give a comparison to your 450L? First impressions etc.

Thank you,

The 450L is a fantastic bike.  It has power and handles well for its weight.  The 300 feels very hypersensitive to rider input in comparison.  The 450 allows for relaxing and a little sloppy rider input due to its weight.  The 300 reactions to every input you do.  The more technical, the better the 300 gets.   I would not want to ride a constant speed on the 300 due to the responsiveness.  So they are very different bikes completely.  
if you want to relax and enjoy the scenery the 450l is it, if you want to attack the trail, I would go for the 300

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 1:25 PM, Bp619 said:

Yup agreed on my 17 300xc with high comp head had more tuning and fuel issues for marginal gains went back to stock head when I did top end

I ditched my high compression head as well on my 18 300. 
It wanted VP110 at $80 5 gallons. And wore me out with the snappier harder hit. 

• Like 1

Any more reports from the field.

Here's mine, running Shell Premium (E10), Motorex 2T (OEM spec), BR8EIX plug, Moto Tassinari V Force 4 Reed assy., Coober ECU, FMF Gnarley, FMF Ti Powercore 2 (or OEM with EE S/A cap or FMF Turbinecore 2 as required by sanctioning body for races), OEM gearing, Michelin Enduro Mediums, 140/80-18 and 90/100-21 with Michelin Bib Mousses. Suspension 101 internally modded shock with progressive spring (may go 1 set rate lighter), Forks OEM (yes stock!) with  1 .44 and a .48 spring for a .45.5 rate, S101 Gobblers installed--still a work in progress for the suspension.

• Like 1

Additional Robertaccio base TPI bike info.  Base engine is 100% OEM stock , no PV movement, but have added Samco full race hose kits 2 kits main hose kit and the inner frame Tee section removal kit, Check Point Enduro hi flow billet impeller, Evans Power Sports non aqueous coolant. 

• Like 1

I installed a rekluse.  That’s all so far.  I have been waiting for my skid plate I ordered since I bought the bike, It just showed up.   So  now I feel I can go out and ride it but where can I ride it now?  I currently have 3 hrs on it lol

• Like 1