Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Michelin's Latest Enduro Tire Line (FIM=DOT legal)

This is thus far the best tutorial on the latest Michelin FIM Enduro Tire Line. They have simplified the line and as of late have a fatty in their line. (The new Tracker is not FIM homologated)

FYI From me, I have used 2 Michelin Medium 140/80-18 rears, both with Michelin M14 Mousses and OEM type silicone lube. These tires are superior in all around feel and performance to any of the GT and Shinko 216 FIM pattern tires I've used from both standard and gummy compounds.

I am currently waiting for my Michelin Medium 90/100-21 Fatty to come in from BO, I will use a a Michelin Mousse (M16) with silicone grease for this one as well. 

I also use water based tire soap but when I really want OEM designed/ engineered performance I use the proper OEM silicone grease.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

This guy has been putting out some very informative technical videos recently, great stuff for moto wrench geeks.

As a bit of a side note Robert, Have you ever heard of anybody running a Mousse inside of a tubeless setup? I could see this being really cool in that you could tune the mousse "feel" by adding a few pounds of air pressure. Also could be used as a type of run flat on a remote adv dirtbike setup .Seems like this could extend the usable life of a Mousse too. Maybe over time the air pressure would just "flaten" the Mousse though? 

I'm setting up a tubeless 50/50 rear wheel for my 950 tomorrow so this stuff has been bubbling in my brain recently. This video got me dreaming about a "TubeMousseLess" setup ....

FYI, the valve stem he shows in the video is available at NAPA for $5

"Tire Valve Stems Motorcycle Valve"                    Part #: NTH 90426

Valvestem.jpg.ea9f48a9d9c1955cc5ae59d216b7c0b0.jpg

About air in a tubeless tire with the mousse inside I have no experience, you may have a decent run flat solution, I have not heard any efforts by anyone to ever to do this. Maybe that could be a secret among the rally guys?

Of note the biggest enemy of mousses is friction (heat) so that's the main issue to deal with, more lube is better and the silicone being the best engineering solution. You can then throw unsprung weight around as well, when I'm "serious" I use the OEM engineered silicone lube, it's light and repels water and keeps the mousse sealed and super slimey and low friction .

I do also use Enforce truck tire soap when I'm in between and stuffing pieces (not so serious) but the tire soap gel is heavy and can absorb water as well as giving up moisture into the mousse which makes them heavier, kind of "water logged". 

https://www.tirereview.com/easy-does-it-proper-lubrication-can-reduce-mounting-concerns/

This an Old discussion, but deals with some of my concerns.  Also, dealing with steel truck tires. That said, if a gal or guy is using tubes, or for that matter mousse, I would think that tire spin is a concern.  I run two ( count 'em ) rim locks so spin would be less a concern.  It seems that outside of competition all this mousse perfect traction stuff is superfluous when one considers heat breakdown on pavement runs.

Robert, Would I be wrong to think you would not use a mousse with any significant pavement?

I am looking for the rim lube that dries out after install.

Bags,

I've been using this stuff for years on my street stuff. A very light coat on the bead is all it takes. Dries quickly and doesn't introduce much moisture into the sealed wheel. 

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200425124252726_COVER.thumb.jpg.40fc05256b3826de36988a53d0f6b72b.jpg

Don't want to end up like this wheel just bought🙄

IMG_20200425_124416.thumb.jpg.9eb6d5370a532dcc051687b538235c3c.jpg