Sign in to follow this  
kbrew

Question about otay mtn truck trail

I am new and didn't know where to ask this. I have had my Dr650 for about a month now and have been riding otay mtn truck trail 4 times. I am loving it and can't stop smiling after every ride. I have been down Marron Valley rd heading south past Otay Trk trail but all 4 times it has had a locked gate. Is that always there? I have looked at google maps and just past the gate, there seems to be an amazing road heading east that comes out east of Barrett junction on the 94. These roads are perfect for my skill level and I am trying to explore as many as I can. Any suggestions for similar roads/trails would be appreciated also.

Appreciate the help

The gate is not always locked.  You can take other roads to get to the road that brings you down to Barret Junction area, but there’s a gate there that I have only seen open one time.  

PM sometime if you want to ride around there.

Hey,

I've never seen that particular gate open, but if you continue up Otay mtn truck trail from the marron valley road, and the then take a right turn into the sycamore canyon area, there are miles of great trails to be had. They are definitely a bit more challenging than the truck trail, but a good place to push it if you want.

Shoot me a message if you want to go ride sometime.

1 hour ago, XRMike said:

Hey,

I've never seen that particular gate open, but if you continue up Otay mtn truck trail from the marron valley road, and the then take a right turn into the sycamore canyon area, there are miles of great trails to be had. They are definitely a bit more challenging than the truck trail, but a good place to push it if you want.

Sycamore Canyon, Pink Gate area?

6 hours ago, tntmo said:

The gate is not always locked.  You can take other roads to get to the road that brings you down to Barret Junction area, but there’s a gate there that I have only seen open one time.  

PM sometime if you want to ride around there.

Ok, thanks for the info. ill PM you next time I am going. 

4 hours ago, XRMike said:

Hey,

Thanks for the info, Ill PM you.

2 hours ago, crfxer said:

Sycamore Canyon, Pink Gate area?

I can't say I know about any Pink Gate, but the sign at the turn off is for sycamore canyon... Maybe the gate is pink, I haven't noticed it before.

You can also get to it from 94. A mile or two past the border patrol checkpoint going southbound there is a turn off with a locked gate. just walk your bike through the pedestrian entrance and you're in the back end of sycamore canyon. A bunch of trails to choose from.

17 minutes ago, XRMike said:

I can't say I know about any Pink Gate, but the sign at the turn off is for sycamore canyon... Maybe the gate is pink, I haven't noticed it before.

You can also get to it from 94. A mile or two past the border patrol checkpoint going southbound there is a turn off with a locked gate. just walk your bike through the pedestrian entrance and you're in the back end of sycamore canyon. A bunch of trails to choose from.

That's "The Pink Gate"  Lotta shooters there

Yes indeed, haven't been shot yet, but there are alot of them. Do you avoid it because of the shooters?

Marron Valley road:  The US Marines are asking "us" to stay out of the area from the locked gate you first mentioned to the border wall, then west along the wall out to Otay Mtn TT (a gate that's usually open). 

I had been eyeing the road you were mapping that goes through Marron Valley and pops back out to 94/Barret Junction but haven't been successful.  Part of the problem is the locked gate at the termination end on 94.  There is a work around, but it is not big bike friendly.  And cutting west to go through the adjacent farm is not advisable.  But there's plenty of good riding out there.

I was out there late last year, went south on Marrron Valley Rd. and ran into those Marines, They just told me to turn around.

I want to check out the Mine down there.

Thank you for the information. I am new to this and I am looking for some mellow dirt roads, fire roads, forest roads etc.... I am not up to single track yet but I am very excited to improve my skills and ride as much as possible. I love the adventure exploration idea of motorcycle riding, especially dual sport. Any suggestions on places to take care of my addiction? I like the idea of heading up in elevation for some cooler temps but I am up for exploring anything.

Appreciate it,

I read some reports of Thing Valley Rd being open and with the cooler temps next week, may give that a go.

Is that the one near Tecate or the campo border patrol station off the 8? I looked at both of them on google maps and they look great. 

Thank you for the suggestion