I presume Boulder creek is open all the way through?

Anyone been down thing valley?

Quentin about palomar divide,  can you gain access near the fire station near the observatory or you you need to go down and around lake henshaw on the 79

Thanks.    I have a few friends that want to ride Sunday out off Pamo.  Just not sure where to go

2 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

Quentin about palomar divide,  can you gain access near the fire station near the observatory or you you need to go down and around lake henshaw on the 79

Thanks.    I have a few friends that want to ride Sunday out off Pamo.  Just not sure where to go

No. Access is from the 79. There are locked gates by the observatory. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, Zubb said:

I presume Boulder creek is open all the way through?

Anyone been down thing valley?

Thing valley: Gate at the bottom by the Campground on kitchen Creek is open (campground still closed) as of last weekend

All ABDSP trails south of 78 are open again. Still Closed are all trails connecting to OW (pretty much anything north of 78..) was a great day out there today! 

EEBC5E86-E6A4-4324-AADE-93484DC16B89.jpeg

Bad news.  Just got this email when inquiring about lower Pine Creek rd.  which is still closed.  This stupid toad is nocturnal and hibernates in an underground burrow during late summer but using the road is a danger apparently?  Breeding season just ended so was hoping for some good news but it's just easier to keep the gate closed so you can't enjoy your public lands.

Hi John,

Unfortunately we don’t have a date for when the lower portion of Pine Creek Road will be open. We are consulting with US Fish and Wildlife due to potential disturbance of Arroyo Toad habitat and we are still figuring out the best management actions in response to this. Keep checking the road closure page, that will be your best bet on figuring out if the road is open or not.

Thank you,

Tracy Knapp
Assistant Recreation & Lands Officer

Forest Service

Cleveland National Forest

Descanso Ranger District

That rant was epic! I'm glad I got to see it before the edit 😂

Thanks bro 👊. . When are you riding again?  Let's meet in Julian this weekend....

350 Thumper, I understand your frustration.  I invite all responsible riders to help keep our access points open by lending a hand if they will allow us to help.  Tracy isn't the enemy but has her hands tied due to protections in place for endangered wildlife.  The real problem is those irresponsible riders who blazed a trail through the wetlands when Coral Canyon was closed due to Covid.  Let's find a way to make up for the reckless actions of a couple of morons to get us back open!  I will share the two most recent emails:

Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 7:11 PM
To: Knapp, Tracy - FS <Tracy.Knapp@usda.gov>
Subject: Re: Pine Creek Road and toads?

I heard about that incident. It was when Coral Canyon OHV was closed due to Covid and a couple of people on the SD Adventure Riders forum saw the aftermath when the rangers were closing the gate. It's the old thing where a few bad apples spoil it for everyone. It was probably some idiots who decided they were going to the next nearest riding area. It will probably be a different set of idiots the next time but please don't block off my place of solitude and peace. As a Gulf War veteran I need some nature and reflection time to get back to my happy spot. John Muir had it right from the get go!  🤗

That is a semi-paved road. I can assure you that as a responsible on road rider I would certainly chastize and or report anyone I caught blazing a new trail because it wrecks it for everyone including myself and the plan for the NF. I have heard of some adventure riders who would volunteer to help repair Pine Mountain road storm damage.

If you can allow some people to help restore our legal access I will send out a plea. I am an current DoD civilian and would make sure that the area would be helped the best as possible with limited manual labor. If people are ignoring the toad habitat a cable arrangement or even signs would alert them to the issue.

Thanks for listening to me Tracy!

Be well in these tough times.

John Burgess

Tracy's reply received the next day:

I totally agree! It’s unfortunate how sometimes people who don’t follow the rules end up ruining it for everyone else. I will keep you posted with anything I hear about Pine Creek and Pine Mountain Roads. Thanks for your patience with the road reopening and I hope you stay well during these difficult times.

All the best,

Tracy Knapp
Assistant Recreation & Lands Officer

Forest Service

Cleveland National Forest

Descanso Ranger District

p: 619-445-6235 x3435

f: 619-445-1753
tracy.knapp@usda.gov

3348 Alpine Blvd.
Alpine, CA 91901
www.fs.fed.us