47 minutes ago, 350thumper said:

The pv culdesac looks like it opened back up.

PV is open now, as is Kernan.  Corral opened last week.  4 Corners was packed.  Rode from my house to go see if PV was open, and surprisingly it was👍  Took Bear Valley to Kernan to 4 Corners. Went and checked out Trail 4

799CB88D-9D60-4286-B841-38CE072E2B12.jpeg

C47583BD-6635-404A-BAA7-5FCD343FCC99.jpeg

F7DD8535-CC6E-4139-BA43-52A2FB50D78C.jpeg

F0838FAB-8E91-404C-B1B4-A46C4B7BEA59.jpeg

• Like 2

A lot of stuff opened about 3 days ago.  Oddly, the lower gate of Pine Creek Rd remains closed but the upper one is open.  Thing Valley is confirmed open as well when I passed by.  Fred Canyon looks like a fun ride to La Posta if anyone is in for that?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229&width=full

8 hours ago, tvscum said:

Looks like the dirt section that splits off of the paved section of pine creek road north of the big tree is going to be closed for a year... AT LEAST.  So, pavement only for pine creek?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd737194.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

Do you know why?

50 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Do you know why?

IMG_4235 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Betting erosion and trees down from rains

18 hours ago, tvscum said:

The PDF order above references a map.  I have requested that map attachment.  Codes referenced in the order:

16 U.S. Code § 551

The Secretary of Agriculture shall make provisions for the protection against destruction by fire and depredations upon the public forests and national forests which may have been set aside or which may be hereafter set aside under the provisions of section 471[1] of this title, and which may be continued; and he may make such rules and regulations and establish such service as will insure the objects of such reservations, namely, to regulate their occupancy and use and to preserve the forests thereon from destruction;

36 CFR § 261.50

(b) The Chief, each Regional Forester, each Experiment Station Director, the Administrator of the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit and each Forest Supervisor may issue orders which close or restrict the use of any National Forest System road or trail within the area over which he has jurisdiction.

36 CFR § 261.54

When provided by an order, the following are prohibited:
(a) Using any type of vehicle prohibited by the order.

Imagine you are in a Forest Service office. You have a road blocked and in need of repair.  Do you sit down and compose a new document that is an exact fit the the exact situation;  Or do you grab the form the office has used as a template on the last three projects?  In addition, picking a date of completion involves not putting pressure on yourself or others. This office would rather be congratulated for being early than explaining a delay. 

I am doing the same, combing public statements for a sense of intent. In reality, the people are just blocking out space to do their tasks.

From the Forest Service:

With regard to Forest Order 02-20-8, the closure was put into place for public health and safety due to the road being washed out and is unpassable by any type of vehicle. There are sensitive resources along the road corridor that are causing the delay in being able to maintain the road.

Deer Park_Pine Mtn Road Closure_2020.jpg

On 5/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, crfxer said:

PV is open now, as is Kernan.  Corral opened last week.  4 Corners was packed.  Rode from my house to go see if PV was open, and surprisingly it was👍  Took Bear Valley to Kernan to 4 Corners. Went and checked out Trail 4

799CB88D-9D60-4286-B841-38CE072E2B12.jpeg

Where is this at?  I really never rode dualsport out near pine valley, thing or anything in that area.  I would love to be introduced to new areas

5 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

Where is this at?  I really never rode dualsport out near pine valley, thing or anything in that area.  I would love to be introduced to new areas

Keep response in private message isn't meant for open Forum 

4 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

Corral Canyon, top pic is 4 Corners staging area, other 3 are Trail 4. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crfxer said:

Corral Canyon, top pic is 4 Corners staging area, other 3 are Trail 4. 

Oops look so overgrown thought was some secret cul-de-sac stuff

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Oops look so overgrown thought was some secret cul-de-sac stuff

With the rains, closures and quarantines, everything is pretty overgrown out there

Is McCain/Lark back to normal access? Anyone been up recently? Are there typically professionals around to assist in confirming sticker color on bikes? 

10 hours ago, BriKman said:

Is McCain/Lark back to normal access? Anyone been up recently? Are there typically professionals around to assist in confirming sticker color on bikes? 

The staging area and campgrounds are still closed.  Red sticker season ended on the last day of April.

16 hours ago, BriKman said:

I was out yesterday and the staging area and campgrounds are open.  I have never seen a ranger out there, but I tend to go on weekdays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, isde97 said:

I was out yesterday and the staging area and campgrounds are open.  I have never seen a ranger out there, but I tend to go on weekdays.

Great!   I had checked the BLM website a day or two ago and it wasn't updated yet.  I guess it's time for me to head out there!

Anyone been on Palomar Divide in last week or so ?

National Forest website says it's open. We may go check it out on tomorrow's ride. 

Rode Mc Cain this morning. 
All the signs are gone. 
Quite a few groups camping and riding. 
Getting real dry and dusty. 

2 hours ago, Ken S said:

Rode Mc Cain this morning. 
All the signs are gone. 
Quite a few groups camping and riding. 
Getting real dry and dusty. 

Yeah, it's that time of year for dried out, sandy dirt.  But at least it's open.  I think I'll wait until a weekday to go out and have a looksee.

So I have been waiting for the lower section of Pine Creek Rd to open up and it still hasn't.  I sent an inquiry to Descanso FS and received the following reply.  I'm hoping this is just "Toad Season" otherwise we might be waiting a while.

>I received your question about why the lower gate to Pine Creek Rd is closed. The lower portion of the road is closed due to potential disturbance to the Arroyo Toad, which is an endangered species. The lower portion of the road is temporarily closed and we will open it as soon as feasible. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!

Tracy Knapp
Assistant Recreation & Lands Officer

Forest Service

Cleveland National Forest

Descanso Ranger District

p: 619-445-6235 x3435

f: 619-445-1753
tracy.knapp@usda.gov