bboyle9

KTM 525 Leaky Countershaft?

Been a long time since I posted on here but back in LA and riding again. Not too long ago I inherited a 07(or 06) KTM 525 MXC. 

Bike was my uncles, well maintained and ridden hard for a long time. Then was a consummate buddy bike until a buddy crashed because he couldn't handle the high seat and fire breathing 525. 

Long story short, I've been riding and recently had a buddy replace the front sprocket(went down a tooth). I couldnt get the front sprocket off because I have a desk job and I have no wrench with enough leverage. 

Anyway, after a couple rides, it looks like I may have an oil leak on the countershaft? I recently changed the oil and replaced both oil filters so thought it may be excess but there was definitely some fresh oil under the front sprocket by the serial number. 

1. Is it possible that under/overtightened front sprocket would cause a small leak?

2. If no to #1, question number to is help! Any ideas what it may be?

Thanks in advance hope to see some old faces out there one of these days!

#1 -  Yes/No

#2 -  Yes, A worn countershaft  seal. 

#5 -   Put the trans in 3rd gear and have your wife sit on the bike while you use a 18" breaker socket handle to loosen Counter Sprocket.  Penetrating oil optional.

Drill a small hole in metal shoulder of the seal (  very carefully ).  Screw a #6 or #8 drywall screw into hole and pull the seal out. 

👨‍🌾

Just get the seal replaced behind the cs sprocket. If you were closer, tntmo would be your go to guy. 
There’s lotsa videos on YouTube, here’s one from Slavens Racing for a ktm 300

Very easy to do, I have confidence in you.  If you don't have confidence in yourself, buy me some good food and some cheap beer and I will come up there and fix it for you.

• Like 1

Yeah, what everyone else said. 

Also, sometimes changing the countershaft sprocket can cause the seal to leak. That’s what happened to me. It’s happened to plenty of other people too. 

I really think the main cause is the chain being to tight. I had people tell me all the time on my 06 that my chain was loose but as soon as I’d sit on it they would say it looks fine. Never had an issue with a leak or the chain.

Just my 2 cents. Your results may very.

CiD

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 11:47 AM, Covered in Dust said:

I really think the main cause is the chain being to tight. I had people tell me all the time on my 06 that my chain was loose but as soon as I’d sit on it they would say it looks fine. Never had an issue with a leak or the chain.

Just my 2 cents. Your results may very.

CiD

Ditto on my 07!

On 4/16/2020 at 7:09 AM, Bagstr said:

Have your wife sit on the bike while you use a 18" breaker socket handle to loosen Counter Sprocket.  Penetrating oil optional

Kééé

Well, good an bad news.

Good news- it stopped leaking and I still don't have a wife(or is that the bad news)

Bad news - started leaking again. 

I tried tightening and for about 50 miles seemed fine. Throw in another 100 miles and definitely leaking. To make it worse, now some metallic flakes in the caked on oil. 

In other news, the shifter lever stripped out and shifting has gotten reallllyyyy clunky. (maybe the source of the metal flakes)

I realize these are separate issues but heres how i am planning on fixing 

Leaky countershaft - order OEM bolt/lockingwasher/seal adjust to 44ft lbs and double check chain

Stripped shifter lever- new OEM shifter lever 

Clunky shift- replace oil (just changed before this ride) buy a Rekluse and pay someone a quarantine worth of beer to help install?

I should note its not just a clunky shift. The clutch is dragging/not fully disengaging in 1st gear and clutch is much harder to pull then when i got the bike. Joke aside here are my 2 questions 

1. Any thought on what the flakey metal flakes are?

2. Thoughts on the clutch?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Metal Flakes in oil .jpg

5 hours ago, bboyle9 said:

Well, good an bad news.

Good news- it stopped leaking and I still don't have a wife(or is that the bad news)

Bad news - started leaking again. 

I tried tightening and for about 50 miles seemed fine. Throw in another 100 miles and definitely leaking. To make it worse, now some metallic flakes in the caked on oil. 

In other news, the shifter lever stripped out and shifting has gotten reallllyyyy clunky. (maybe the source of the metal flakes)

I realize these are separate issues but heres how i am planning on fixing 

Leaky countershaft - order OEM bolt/lockingwasher/seal adjust to 44ft lbs and double check chain

Stripped shifter lever- new OEM shifter lever 

Clunky shift- replace oil (just changed before this ride) buy a Rekluse and pay someone a quarantine worth of beer to help install?

I should note its not just a clunky shift. The clutch is dragging/not fully disengaging in 1st gear and clutch is much harder to pull then when i got the bike. Joke aside here are my 2 questions 

1. Any thought on what the flakey metal flakes are?

2. Thoughts on the clutch?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Metal Flakes in oil .jpg

The aluminum flakes are from the stripped out shift lever. The clutch master cylinder needs to be bled and properly adjusted. I recommend that you not install a Rekluse. 

Got it. Figured that was the case with the flakes. 

Cant say I've ever bled a hydraulic clutch. 

From what I read there's a conventional bleed and a back bleed?

I'll youtube it and figure it out but other than buying recommended Magura Oil any tips/need to knows?