Goofy Footer

BaseCamp + Satellite Imagery?

I am currently (still) using Garmin 76cx and BaseCamp.  It appears I cannot use BaseCamp and have Satellite Imagery within the program. 

549cb58c7293f55034e0543217fcfc2a_origina

-- Those remaining BaseCamp users, how are you mapping your rides?  Dual screen (one screen google map satellite / one screen BaseCamp)?

-- It has been a very long time since I drew a Google Earth track and converted it to GPX.  Any tips?

-- Google Maps is pretty good for searching locations (ie. Husky Monument).  Any tips to convert these to GPX waypoints? 

aaa36ab63f6e9c71a269e18386366f68.jpg

• Like 1

I do all my work in Google Earth and "save as" a KML file, then I use GPSBabel ( free software) to convert to a gpx.

2 minutes ago, cj54x said:

I do all my work in Google Earth and "save as" a KML file, then I use GPSBabel ( free software) to convert to a gpx.

Cool. Once in GPX are you opening the file in BaseCamp to transfer to your Garmin?

Garmin has a product called BirdsEye Imagery. I have not tried it, so can't comment on how good or bad it is. You buy a subscription and it will download satellite imagery to Base Camp and, I believe, your GPS unit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/70144

On 4/15/2020 at 3:03 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Cool. Once in GPX are you opening the file in BaseCamp to transfer to your Garmin?

I have never used Basecamp or payed for any app.  I use Windows file explorer to copy files to my Garmin.

You can also downlaod historical USGS topo maps and import them into Google Earth to find mines and old roads that are lost to history, these are also free.

I use the dual screen technique. GE on one screen and Basecamp on the other. You used to be able to transfer a track straight to GE but Google screwed that up. It's still pretty easy. Just Import\export files between them. No need for a conversion program like GPSBable. You can directly import KML\KMZ files into Basecamp. Just select your destination folder in BC and then go to File>Import.To open in GE first export the track(s) in BC. 1) Select files 2) Files>export and select KML as the format. With the dual screen setup it takes just maybe 10 - 15 seconds move them back and forth.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, cj54x said:

You can also downlaod historical USGS topo maps and import them into Google Earth to find mines and old roads that are lost to history, these are also free. 

That is pretty cool. I did not know about that feature.

I will likely use 2 screens or draw in GE and import into Basecamp. A phone or tablet with Google Maps Satellite it nice to view as well.