DRZrider

RV hitch/bike mount recommendation.

Hello everyone.

Been a long time since I've been on here. Work had me going overseas, sold my moto, came back, got into paragliding etc.

I have a 24ft RV now and looking for hitch mount hauling options. Hitch is 2 inch,  tongue weight is stated at 350lbs. I like the "ultimate mx hauler" the most thus far. 

For the bike I'm thinking a street legal wr450 or drz400. Any other bikes i should be thinking of? 

Thanks, hope to get back on the trails with everyone soon.

20200411_091907.jpg

Welcome back, here’s a link. I have something that looks a lot like  #3, Goplus. I like it 👍 

https://www.carbibles.com/motorcycle-hitch-carrier/

It’s rated for 600 hundred lbs., the PO put his Yamaha Tenere on it. The wheel chock helps to hold it place to tie down yourself. Can be a little pita pulling it off. I think it also comes with ( must have imo) the anti rattle devise. I bought it used for $200. Another nice feature is the ramp seems a little longer than other haulers. 

Ive got one sitting at the house yours for the taking pm me

Joe Hauler made right here is SD county. He does full on custom fittings as well.

Love the Joe Hauler 

Used a piece of unistrut with forged eye bolts to reenforce the cross bar - I think the stock tubing would ultimately bend if over torqued or shock loaded / 4x4 etc. 

992740839_300-2020-1.thumb.jpeg.519a785729d5323832a0462bab82e9d7.jpeg

2011605628_300-2020-2.thumb.jpeg.71acfe03ae8439b215f2692e92014027.jpeg

1526427887_300-2020-3.thumb.jpeg.9ddfc0cd793024de708e16f063205c03.jpeg

Thanks for all the input guys! 

Still in the deciding phase, but getting close to pulling the trigger.

Plus 1 for joe hauler. I use on the back of my E350 4x4 for my KTM 525. 

It bounces for sure, and there are definitely slicker set ups but the thing is sturdy and simple and hasnt snapped off yet. 

All hitch mount bike carriers bounce around a bit because there's nothing supporting each end.

So, you can use the downs on each end going to your vehicle frame, or as I've seen some people do, make additional support members on each end, mounted to vehicle frame.

This is the best bit of intel I have learned from this discussion;  the custom bend on the rear supports. Those of us with Non-Macho vehicles have a dragging issue with the extra length off the bumper. The shown angle should help.  I wonder if Joe can bend my straight unit?

16 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

This is the best bit of intel I have learned from this discussion;  the custom bend on the rear supports. Those of us with Non-Macho vehicles have a dragging issue with the extra length off the bumper. The shown angle should help.  I wonder if Joe can bend my straight unit?

You can bend it yourself. Find the right driveway. Ha ha. Joe or another welder/fabricator could cut it at an angle and re-weld it. That would be better than bending it. He also makes some with a "step" at the hitch end to raise them up. He could probably mod yours.

I have one of these on my Joe Hauler. No rocking with this. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/quiet.php

So my solution is a custom setup. I fabricated two brackets that bolt to the existing frame and trailer hitch side plates. Each bracket has a 2" receiver tube. Side in 2" tube extensions go into the receivers and the bike tray bolts to the tubes. Since the bike tray is supported by two points there's absolutely no rocking. Once installed the entire rack is bolt together and no one piece weighs more than about 15#. It's a 5 minute procedure to slide in the extensions and bolt the bike tray on. I have receivers mounted on my motorhome and on my truck and 4wd so I can use the same rack on any of them. On the motorhome I have a hitch extension integrated so I can tow the 4wd behind the bike rack. I built this all myself but imagine any welding shop could fabricate it.

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

2 hours ago, Bagstr said:
The shown angle should help.  I wonder if Joe can bend my straight unit?

Bags

My neighbor (retired master welder) would be more than happy to take care of that - I don't see any $ being involved either 

let me know if interested 

Rigger,

Thanks, Yes I will check in when the Dear One lets me out of the house.

Bags

6 hours ago, amgems said:

I have one of these on my Joe Hauler. No rocking with this. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/quiet.php

Mine has the cam lock (http://www.joehauler.com/camloc/camloc.shtml) and seems to be pretty rigid with minimal rocking; not sure if yours has this or not, Jim, so thought I would throw this out.  

Another throw out to Joe Hauler.  I picked up a used Joehauler cheap at the Dash a few years back that was needing some repairs.  I dropped by his shop in San Marcos with a 12 pack and he rebuilt the whole damn thing.  He remembered it because its kinda custom.  I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take my money.  I went down the street and bought another 12 pack and some Carne Asada and we made tacos at his shop for his guys.  Solid guy who loves helping people out.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take my money.  I went down the street and bought another 12 pack and some Carne Asada and we made tacos at his shop for his guys.  Solid guy who loves helping people out.   

Great story Tracy !

I will be going to him for some minor sidecar mods, he knows about sidecars,  has a racing one for Baja.