ADV Bum

New Tusk Highland rackless vs Moskomoto reckless 80 v2

Sitting at home being quarantined and I am looking at the new Tusk Highland bags. I figured I would pull out my Moskomoto reckless 80v2 and start comparing them. I cant wait for the Luggage Rally. Being able to compare luggage next to each other is a great thing. 

In looking at these bags overall, they are very similar in size. 

The Tusk Highland Rackless with 33L medium top bag and both accessory bags weighed in at 15lbs (luggage scale)

The MoskoMoto Reckless 80 v2 with stinger 22L top bag weighed in at 12lbs (luggage scale)

20200404_162836.thumb.jpg.ddc96c2a5e00d5471e7aac38fc79e412.jpg

Top flaps or top bag holder

Tusk went with one large coming from rear of bag with Molle attachments

tusk3.thumb.jpg.a01735e75bd2ec9ce6deb8fe9f51696a.jpg

MoskoMoto has two smaller flaps. One coming from front and one from rear, both with small pouches or Map pockets

tusk4.thumb.jpg.55fb24517108bf044e2b5c2b377ac851.jpg

The big difference lies in the side bags. MoskoMoto has an open carriage which carries the dry bag where as Tusk has gone with an enclosed roll top side bag with a dry bag that goes inside of it. The pockets or bags on the Tusk luggage are slightly larger than the carriage/ bag on the Moskomoto luggage. 

tusk5.thumb.jpg.390ba6bf3c0195b484904c35e1930ba6.jpg

tusk6.thumb.jpg.ee62e27276fe61cf8f034a4eccaefc31.jpg

The next big difference in the side bags are the pouches. The pouch on the MoskoMoto are sewn on and attached were as the pouches on the Tusk bags are removable and attach with a Molle system. The Tusk accessory pouches are a little bigger.

- MoskoMoto has come out with the Reckless 80L Revolver. It now has detachable "aux pox" instead of the sewn on attached pouches.

tusk2.jpg

tusk7.thumb.jpg.4166a708894e1ca8de35088227a22770.jpg

For the top bags that are available for this luggage there are two choices with the Tusk luggage. There is a 33L bag - medium, and a 22L bag - small. The small bag will come with a tent pole bag. 

The MoskoMoto reckless 80v2 came with the 22L stinger bag. 

I have the medium 33L bag next to the 22L stinger. The 33L bag is huge. The other obvious difference is the 33L is a top loader, where as the 22L is a side loader.

tusk8.thumb.jpg.32b9033f505a3c0bbd5eae32972c22ff.jpg

Last comparison would be the price.

Tusk Highland rackless luggage with Medium 33L or Small 22L (sm includes tent pole bag) top bag and both accessory bags are  $449 Msrp of $599

Moskomoto reckless 80L v3 Revolver (no longer make v2) bags with 22L top bag and both "aux pox" attachments are $745

• Like 1

GBSB17-RT-B-Great-Basin-Saddlebag-Roll-T

Weight: 6 lbs with all included components

CSB17-RT-B-Coyote-SADDLEBAG-Roll-Top-Bla

Weight: 4.5 lbs (with included Hot Springs Heat Shield and 3 Dry Pods)

I have the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L Pannier Kit and the Backcountry Duffle/Pack I have used many times on my KTM 1190 R. They are great quality but very expensive. I was wondering when a company would come out with a less expensive version. My Mosko duffle is pretty big, too big really, on the back and I went to a smaller waterproof bag. The 35L Pannier side bags are great. I can't tell in the pictures if the Mosko Quality is $300.00 better though?  

I really like Mosko stuff, but for my 690 I went with the TUSK Highland Rackless just because of cost and intended use - Call me surprised, it's really well made, and does it's job perfectly at a good price point. That being said, the Mosko Reckless 80 Revolver setup is above and beyond on quality and engineering - that's a super dope rig. 

I have the MM R80 revolver.  I also wondered when the me-too's would start hitting the streets (I realize everything in our world is a me-too so it's not meant in a derogatory way).

The following is relative to my 1200 GSA as it handles more freight than the 500's do.

I carry a little more than I have to because I need to help others on group rides.  For me the R80 has plenty of space for unlimited time/distance touring.  But to accommodate a few extras for the group I recently bought the toploading Scout 30L Duffle.  On tours, this will replace the 22L Stinger, providing another 8L or so of space.

For my local day rides, I remove the R80 and the Scout 30 is my tail bag.  Room enough for tools/first aid kit/ 3L water/ warm layer clothes and gloves/ lunch and hydroflask/ jump pak/tow strap.  I don't mind too much hauling extra to help the group in case of emergency as long as it's packed low and tight.  And I love the beavertail.  Gotta have a beavertail.

The aux pox are removable.  But I sure as hell aren't going to spend the time fiddling with putting them on and off.  There's significant fiddle factor to doing that.

I just got the 30L duffle and while I wouldn't call it compact, I think it will serve the need quite well over time.  What I really wanted for day rides was a Reckless 20 that would fit over the big arse of the 1200GS.  What's that you say?  They don't make an R20?  I know.  I've requested it, but they have bigger needs to fill than my nutty one-off suggestions.

Adv Bum, Kudos to you, and appreciation, as it is always a treat to nationally search for Dual Sport info and find some of the best reviews in the nation from within the SDAR community. 

As of today, March 26, 2021, both of those set-ups may be hard to find in order to buy.  Has anybody else recently bought either, although my lean today is the Tusk to have lighter, smaller bags when not on multiday trips (as in remove all but the base).  Also, would hope to know which bikes and tail racks help sweeten the fit, as they are both rackless, which is my goal. Thanks again, Mac.