Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

Trackside Aluminum MX Lift Stand-No Go

I picked this junk up from Cycle Gear a few years back.  Because it is made of aluminum it is really light, but also the lifting arm and mounting points are very weak and susceptible to bending.  Get a nice steel one instead.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/trackside-aluminum-mx-lift-stand?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmpb0BRCBARIsAG7y4zbLKFuN03rcb-Y3B98uxU7OXEAgwYqfbH1_EehA-zIpx5Cj_r-0zEUaAop5EALw_wcB

trackside_aluminum_mx_lift_stand_black_750x750.jpg.d362caf315e0d23e6547c297b15e2ac0.jpg

The aluminum arm on mine bent after a few lifts so I may just make a steel arm for it,  seeing how the older I get the heavier my bike gets.

I have the same one and have had good luck with it; do you think there is a weight limit on it?  I've had my XR650 on it (about 350 pounds), my 500EXC (about 260 pounds), and now this on it (about 350 pounds).  I wonder if it has a limit and you found it?

Trackside.jpeg

My failure occurred because I was not standing directly in front of the lifting arm when lifting a 350.  My body was turned just a bit, which can happen when you are trying to hold the bike at two points and manipulate your foot around foot pegs, etc.  That was just enough to input some sideways force which bent the lifting bar.  I was able to bend it back in the vice but noticed the mounting points are also bent a little.  Just bought a new steel one.  Much sturdier.  

User error? Maybe...probably...could be, but I prefer something sturdier.

I am going to make sure to apply straight downward pressure only going forward; thanks for the input!