Ptkatoomer

If it really WAS the end of the world as we know it, what would be your ONE bike, and why?

This is a tough one because there are so many things to consider . I think a full-on street bike would be completely out of the question . The ability to negotiate urban chaos when foraging for supplies, as well as the necessity to be able to go completely off the road when the situation demands it seems to make this point obvious.

For those same reasons I think a big Adventure bike would be out as well. You've GOT to be able to manhandle your steed in ANY given situation.

So what then? Two stroke or four? Do you go with the two stroke for simplicity of design and maintenance? You'll be dealing with range issues as well as the problem of being able to consistently get, and accurately mix, your oil. Imagine trying to mix your oil when a pack of ne'er-do-wells were after you (or dogs for that matter). You could go with one of the new tpi bikes but I think all the newer hi-tech stuff could be more of a bane than a boon in a post-apocalyptic world. 

I guess I'm thinking something like an air-cooled XR. The motors are practically bullet proof (and that could have literal consequences too!). Plus, parts would probably be pretty easy to find (or steal). Maybe the 400. Enough motor to (hopefully) get you out of trouble  but not too much weight and bulk to handle .

Anyway, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, that's my two cents.

XR400R is a good choice, no battery required and doesn’t need high octane fuel.  

I was thinking Suzuki DR350 since I have owned several.  Same basic specs as the XR, but better for long travels in my opinion.

Trail 90. Parts availability, easy on gas, can carry it over the hard stuff, easy to work on, won’t spook the trout or deer, easy to shoot from while riding...you know, an old Honda! Last things left on Earth will be cockroaches and trail 90’s

2 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Trail 90. Parts availability, easy on gas, can carry it over the hard stuff, easy to work on, won’t spook the trout or deer, easy to shoot from while riding...you know, an old Honda! Last things left on Earth will be cockroaches and trail 90’s

They don’t run with a dead battery, that’s their biggest flaw.  Can be modified to run without, but you gotta know the magic.

My little TW200 is probably my Apocalypse bike. I have successfully started it several times with a dead battery. Easy on fuel, is a little billy goat and is a Yamaha.... so, it should keep on chugging along forever.

What do you mean IF?    💀

😎

image.thumb.png.dad1a1082dbdc49dd1f550e6af640913.png

I'm thinking the cockroach of the motorcycle world for the end of it... A nicely modded KLR should do just about anything you ask (slowly), and they do have a kick start kit!

20 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

ROKON Trailbreaker

355BAC55-FC5F-45B4-9D3C-008A2A0A3B19.jpeg

Yeah, it doesn't have the speed you might need , but it'll go anywhere. You can even float it across deep rivers and store gas fuel in the tires I believe.

• Like 1

I agree with Tom's line of thinking. Air cooled with a kick start. If we can choose a modified bike, then I would go with a xr650l with a kickstart. Need something that would have a ton of parts out there and be simple to fix. 

Thumper Bob has my vote -

If I Turn Out the Lights; Why not on a RT-1?