ADV Bum

McCain, Lark, Cottonwood all developed sites closed

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see McCain on there. But if the parking areas are closed, does that mean you'd have to ride in to the trails a dualsport because you can't park?

14 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see McCain on there. But if the parking areas are closed, does that mean you'd have to ride in to the trails a dualsport because you can't park?

It means that you can't use the designated camping areas.  No overnight camping, where people can congregate.  So just the day use area will be open...at least until the powers that be deem that they are getting too  crowded.  I saw some people parked along the road last weekend.  I guess they were being extra cautious about social distancing.  So there is always that option too....so far.

Sorry Mimi, the day use parking areas are closed.  I did ask if we DS/ ADV bikes could ride in. He went back to the day use areas are closed. I will call tomorrow and get some more clarity.

Okay.  Well, I hope we can ride in, as the wording in that bulletin does say that " Visitors may continue to enjoy BLM-managed public lands in a safe and responsible manner."

Did anyone venture out there today? I would like to take the kids riding tomorrow, don't mind parking along the road near or beyond the day camp area if needed. 

29 minutes ago, BriKman said:

Did anyone venture out there today? I would like to take the kids riding tomorrow, don't mind parking along the road near or beyond the day camp area if needed. 

I was wondering the same thing, myself.  I would like to go out there tomorrow as well, but if the place got crowded today, there's a good chance they won't let people go there anymore.

Two  buddies I know got turned around on main road by rangers yesterday

• Sad 1

Here's the detailed closure list for Southern California:

Screenshot_2020-03-29%20BLM%20California

• Sad 1

Just posted on FB

For those that are riding Lark Canyon OHV off McCain Valley Road you can park at the pin drop and ride into Lark Canyon on a plate bike. The parking is right where the pavement ends at the McCain Valley entrance sign.

The Ranger was ticketing people parking along McCain Valley Road yesterday. It's open for continuous travel but no parking anywhere.

Also, since the McCain Valley dirt road leading to the Lark Canyon OHV entrance is street legal only you have to have to have a plated bike to get in.

Since we had one non plated bike with us I thought we could drive down to the entrance of the OHV area drop it off but no dice there either. The Ranger stated he would ticket us the second the bike came of the truck.

I almost asked if we could drop a ramp from the tail gate over the fence.....

3 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

Just posted on FB

For those that are riding Lark Canyon OHV off McCain Valley Road you can park at the pin drop and ride into Lark Canyon on a plate bike. The parking is right where the pavement ends at the McCain Valley entrance sign.

The Ranger was ticketing people parking along McCain Valley Road yesterday. It's open for continuous travel but no parking anywhere.

Also, since the McCain Valley dirt road leading to the Lark Canyon OHV entrance is street legal only you have to have to have a plated bike to get in.

Since we had one non plated bike with us I thought we could drive down to the entrance of the OHV area drop it off but no dice there either. The Ranger stated he would ticket us the second the bike came of the truck.

I almost asked if we could drop a ramp from the tail gate over the fence.....

Any idea where the pin drop is?

this really is getting stupid, and yes I understand the virus issue.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

Any idea where the pin drop is?

The pin drop is on the west side of the main road in, as soon as you pass from pavement to dirt/gravel.  It is a very small pullout.

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:

The pin drop is on the west side of the main road in, as soon as you pass from pavement to dirt/gravel.  It is a very small pullout.

Thanks.

I Imagine there are several places where you could pull off and park on old hwy 80 near McCain road. Probably must as safe there as anywhere else to park.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

I Imagine there are several places where you could pull off and park on old hwy 80 near McCain road. Probably must as safe there as anywhere else to park.

Anywhere near Boulevard will leave your vehicle susceptible to breakins by the small but active group of mentally ill homeless people that I have seen some of  roaming around.  I have  it on good authority from a local that these characters are always on the lookout for anything they might be able to get their hands on for bartering.  Just saying.....

I have off loaded in the park next to the Jacumba Library and left the truck there all day with no issues. Would be a bit of a ride to McCain's from there but doable. Of course the library and park is probably closed due to COVID. Yesterday I parked at the large dirt park and ride off the Jacumba exit, there are some trails to ride North of the 8.