Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Nomads On The Road & COVID-19

Great post by our friend Zee, who spoke at our last club meeting...but you have to make the right decision for yourself and others around you...here's my decision, since I've hosted at least 25 moto travelers in the last few years....

"Great post to share, but unfortunately I have to decline hosting anyone since I live with 3 other people, plus I work at a small company and they are relying on us to be vigilant at this time.
I really wish I could do more to help my fellow nomadic travelers at this time."

‐‐_________________________________

From Zee Traveler....

Being a nomadic traveler and COVID-19 

As people are told to self, or government mandated, quarantine themselves at their houses to help slow the spread of the coronavirus, life gets difficult for people on the road. There’s many of us who quite literally can’t do that: those that live on their feet, on a bicycle, a motorcycle, in a car, van, truck, or RV. We spend our entire existence in public spaces such as restaurants, stores, parks, national land, campgrounds, BLM land and now... Both city and country side is closing. State campgrounds in California and federal land in Moab, Utah have shut down and hotels are told not to take in outsiders. That is effectively starting the move to cut off travelers from having somewhere to isolate themselves. The borders closed so quickly and some travelers are stuck in a foreign land, unsure where to seek refuge and also unsure on what will happen. As a motorcycle nomad myself, my only options for quarantine would be to head into the woods with a large amount of supplies (that I couldn’t carry) or hope a friend will take me into their home despite the risk to their family, while waiting for the world to continue spinning. As most travelers tend towards labor jobs, myself included, it’s not even possible to find a job to afford an extended wait, which costs significantly more than traveling does. To be honest, I don’t know what to do as my entire life is based on regular movement, and I know a lot of people are in these shoes with me. This is a scary time for the house-less, nomadic, and wandering peoples. Some of us chose this life, yes, but we can’t change how we live in such a short time to help the efforts to slow the virus. 

So if you’re able and willing, please reach out to a traveler who needs somewhere to stay or park during this uncertain and trying time. We simply are running out of places to go to get away from the populace, and we don’t want to be a threat to the cause. 

Please feel free to share. 

On a personal note, I have a wonderful community backing me that have made plenty of generous offers but not everyone is as fortunate as I.

• Like 1