• Shinko - 705
  4. 4. Rear - More Street

• MotoZ - Tractionator RallZ
    • Mitas E-07+
    • MotoZ - Tractionator GPS
    • Continental - Tkc 80
    • Shinko - 804/805
    • Shinko - 705

This is a poll is for best tire recommendations for Large Adventure Bikes.  

This poll is so that people can easily find tire recommendations without having to navigate a super long thread.

This will also help with people not starting more Tire Threads.

Post up or message me if your tire choice  is not there and I will add it to the poll.

Thank you

I was just getting the pole up. I had to have two choices. Do you want a selection added - post up and I will add it.

TKC80's

Shinko 804/805,  704/705

MOTOZ TRACTIONATOR GPS, After running MOTO Z for the last 3 years I decide on the MOTOZ TRACTIONATOR GPS. 8000mile on the rear, 12000 on the front. BMW 1150 GSA, Usage 50/50.

The Adventure or Rally have no Center row and the Blocks wear uneven under acceleration and braking. And for street riding the side blocks on the GPS are more stable then the single blocks on the Adventure / Rally 

Just my last saved penny.

I should note that my definition of best.... means best traction.  Not best mileage.  But I have a stack of good rubber in the garage so don't really care how far they go.  I much prefer good traction over longevity.  It allows me to be much more stupid and yet live to tell about it.

I expect to get 2500 miles out of the tkc80 rear.  double for the front unless I keep up the hard braking on pavement.  And I probably will.  Superb grip, on and off road.  They do move around a bit at speed on pavement but ............ *sh*t* ,  I just got sucked into a tire thread....

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

I should note that my definition of best.... means best traction.  Not best mileage.

I expect to get 2500 miles out of the tkc80 rear.  double for the front unless I keep up the hard braking on pavement.  And I probably will.  Superb grip, on and off road.  They do move around a bit at speed on pavement but ............ *sh*t* ,  I just got sucked into a tire thread....

Zubb,  I agree with you on all points about the TKC-80...I have had no desire to try other tires, because these work so good at speed in the twisties, and also in the dirt. Your mileage for both is spot on for my 950 Adventure!

Dirt Rear: Dunlop 908

Dirt Front: Pirelli Scorpion Rally

Used these as got to tires for years on the 990 best combination for longevity I found to date but the 908 got stupid expensive

4 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Dirt Rear: Dunlop 908

Dirt Front: Pirelli Scorpion Rally

Used these as got to tires for years on the 990 best combination for longevity I found to date but the 908 got stupid expensive

Yup love the pirelli front on my 950se rear switched from motoz desert ht to the golden 723 when they were discontinued a couple years ago bought 4 of them for 50% off on my last one now

Mitas E07 Dakar tires:

Mounted a set of these for my Alaska and beyond trip in 2018.  I had run a couple Heidenau K60's in the past and while I liked the miles you can get on the K60's, I didn't care for the performance.  The Mitas tires were supposed to offer long wear and real world 50/50 street/dirt performance. 

They were not difficult to mount, but were noticeably a heavy tire.  The front tire has a rib running down the center, seemed odd to me but didn't notice anything unusual as far as handling (I think they no longer make the tire like this?)  The Dakar version has a thicker sidewall than the standard E07.  

First impressions were that they were loud.  More road noise than I was used to, but I had not ran any "Big Block" style tires.  Road manners were good, including wet weather.  I did about 1200 miles of dirt on the trip, mostly gravel road type roads with almost half of that while raining or just after rain.  The tires performed good in this environment.   About 100 miles of the dirt was deep/loose gravel.  It was a bit sketchy but I don't know if any tire would have worked great with a large bike loaded down with gear.  

I got about 10,000 miles out of the rear tire and over 17,000 from the front.  Rear was replaced within wear limits, the front should have been changed earlier but I didn't die, so......