Sign in to follow this  
Mr.JAJA

Montana 610T

I just spend $450 for a new MONTANA 610t, loaded with the US 100k topo map. Today I rode to Encinitas from Ramona and i tried to navigate with the  "New GPS".  Going to where to go,  city, and spell. I find Encinitas and  push go to. Calculating starts and comes up with a message No routeble street found. Every cheap Phone with a free software on works better. What do I wrong? I try to change to different profiles and get the same result.

Unfortunately you need to have a "routeable" map installed in the Montana. Topo100K is not a routeable map and is intended for point to point cross country travel. It will not route using roads. You need City Navigator or one of the Topo 24K series maps in order to plot a route using roads. There are also a number of free maps that are routeable on the GPS file Depot.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

That is 2 bad. I know that i have to go east, if I like to go to AZ. Dont need a line to show me this. Wasted $ again. I will check later on the free map.

2 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

That is 2 bad. I know that i have to go east, if I like to go to AZ. Dont need a line to show me this. Wasted $ again. I will check later on the free map.

Wrong tool for the job. The Montana is really intended to be a trail gps.  If your intended use is mostly road/adventure riding a Garmin Zumo might have been a better choice.

I'll give you $100 for your Montana 

• Haha 1

I have 2 Zumo and 2 60 csx, but the best nav App for me is still the phone for on the road use. I will figure some out. Hang tide. Right now its downloading the mountain Map. 

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

Wrong tool for the job. The Montana is really intended to be a trail gps.  If your intended use is mostly road/adventure riding a Garmin Zumo might have been a better choice.

So, it is only good to guide to preloaded tracks? Not that I can create a track from A-B and it will guide me there? I plan the trip for end of this month and hope to figure it out.

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

So, it is only good to guide to preloaded tracks? Not that I can create a track from A-B and it will guide me there? I plan the trip for end of this month and hope to figure it out.

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

It will do routing. You just need the appropriate maps.

Garmin City Navigator North America NT microSD / SD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JRNY4O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-uZyEbH0VE69P

Thank you for the help. I have downloaded and unzipped the Pacific and Mountain file from the recommended web page. Looks like it is working now. I will try it out tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm pretty well versed in "Montana"eze :) It's a great GPS . Very versatile but comes with a learning curve.

• Like 2

Thank you for the help. I have downloaded and unzipped the Pacific and Mountain file from the recommended web page. After I select a track, created in Basecamp and transfer this to the Montana, The Montana ask me to create a route. If I say yes, it will pick a total different way than what I have selected. Do I have to create the Track first to a Route in BaseCamp to make it work?

Go to Track Management and look  👀  at the tracks you have loaded. There is a box to Show or Hide any individual track.

14 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Thank you for the help. I have downloaded and unzipped the Pacific and Mountain file from the recommended web page. After I select a track, created in Basecamp and transfer this to the Montana, The Montana ask me to create a route. If I say yes, it will pick a total different way than what I have selected. Do I have to create the Track first to a Route in BaseCamp to make it work?

Are you transferring a track or a route from Basecamp? If transferring a track then you should not see a prompt to create a route. At least I've never seen that. Tracks will retain their original path when transferred. Routes will get rerouted based on the map you have selected in the Montana.

I have route's and track's on the SD Card. Turn the device on, than I go to "where to" select a Route and wait for the "Go". Than it shows "ready for Navigation"

I just try to copy the routs to the Internal Storage and will give this a try.

Looks like I have to create the route on the map, I will use on the ride. I have downloaded, US Mountain OSM auto and US Pacific OSM Auto. Worked my way from Ramona to Tucson via side and dirt roads. and it shows this in Basecamp under Device Internal and SD card storage.

Okay so you are actually selecting routes so yes the gps may prompt you and will re-route based on the map you have selected. Navigating with tracks is passive. You select the track you want to display in track manager. The track will display on the screen and you just follow the line. There is no guidance provided when you are navigating by track unless you select Trackback but most do not use that feature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Okay so you are actually selecting routes so yes the gps may prompt you and will re-route based on the map you have selected. Navigating with tracks is passive. You select the track you want to display in track manager. The track will display on the screen and you just follow the line. There is no guidance provided when you are navigating by track unless you select Trackback but most do not use that feature.

Do I have to tell the Montana to use a Map from the SD card? And if yes, How? Some thing is not working as I think. If I select a track, It will navigate with strait lines, If I ask for a route to navigate, nothing happens and the display shows:ready to Navigate.

Go into the the Map display page, the tap the 3 bars, select setup map. That will bring you to a menu. One option in that menu will be "select map". tap that and it should bring up a list of all the maps that are loaded into the gps (internal & sd card). Enable\disable the maps as desired.

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

Go into the the Map display page, the tap the 3 bars, select setup map. That will bring you to a menu. One option in that menu will be "select map". tap that and it should bring up a list of all the maps that are loaded into the gps (internal & sd card). Enable\disable the maps as desired.

Thank you Randy for taking your time. If I go into this menu, the US Pacific and US mountain maps don't show. If I connect the Montana to Base camp, there show on SD card. ???

I did some reading: The maps will need to be Garmin compatible and reside within a folder named Garmin on the microSD card. On the download page for the USMountain and USPacific OSM maps, it sat that the maps are Garmin compatible.????

How did you transfer the maps onto your Montana?

I haven't done it recently but pretty sure both my 76Cx and Montana required downloading Garmin MapInstall.  With that program, I selected the device and transferred the Map from my computer to the device/Montana.

PbdBlue can you confirm this?  ^^

US_Pacific_OSM_Topo.gmap and US_Mountain_OSM_Topo.gmap. At one point I had to Unzip and the whole file got copied to the SD card. 

There’s the issue. Gmap is the format to load maps into Basecamp or Mapsource. Once they are loaded into Basecamp as mentioned you use Map Install to load them onto the gps. You can’t just directly copy them to the sd card.

OK, I am working on this now and will let you know how it works.

First I transfer (cut) the files from the SD card to the Garmin folder on my PC.

Than I guess have to work with MapSource to transfer them back to the SD card. Will see if there is some guidance for the download.

I am not the best PC man. I have cut the two US files with all under files to my PC, I open MapSource and select Maps on the left top and this is empty. Than I went to File, and select open and I see my Garmin folder with the US maps. I select US Pacific, and (All Files) But I cant highlight any file to open.

3 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

OK, I am working on this now and will let you know how it works.

First I transfer (cut) the files from the SD card to the Garmin folder on my PC.

Than I guess have to work with MapSource to transfer them back to the SD card. Will see if there is some guidance for the download.

I am not the best PC man. I have cut the two US files with all under files to my PC, I open MapSource and select Maps on the left top and this is empty. Than I went to File, and select open and I see my Garmin folder with the US maps. I select US Pacific, and (All Files) But I cant highlight any file to open.

Where did you load the maps from? They shoud have downloaded as an EXE file. if the downloaded as a gmap file you need an installer. Can you provide a link to where you got them?