Huntndogs

Knee braces or guards?

So as I recover from my latest get off, I am looking at either upgrading my knee guards or buying knee braces.  The topic has been brought up a few times in the search function, just looking for current opinions. I may have a 50% off coupon for the Mobius X8 braces so leaning that way to keep them relatively affordable. These old knees ain't getting any younger and some of you really old guys have already been there. What are you using?

I'm thinking you may have pissed off "some of you really old guys" and may not get any responses 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, simicrintz said:

I'm thinking you may have pissed off "some of you really old guys" and may not get any responses 🤣🤣

Me thinks your right! 🤔

What is old? I am 39 with the odometer rolling over to 40 this year.😜

Sorry, no experience with knee guards or braces.

I know that you have a coupon for the Möbius cable tension model, but here is my two cents. I have tested the Asterisk ultra cell 2.0 in two get-offs. I know that the boot attachment to the brace that these braces come with saved my MCL/ ACL. Less price does not equal better protection. I live on a fixed income from my military retirement and coughing up $700.00 for these medical grade knee braces was not an easy decision for me. After realizing that these braces saved my ability to keep riding brought a smile to my old coot face. I doubt that you will find a better knee brace. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/asterisk-ultra-cell-2.0-knee-brace-pair-p

Regards, The Mobile Mule

• Like 1

Thanks Mule, exactly the kind of input I was looking for. How are those when gripping the tank like when standing. They all seem bulky and awkward. I guess you get used to that?

I have Pod. When I was shopping for braces I tried a number of different brands. Pod had the best fit for me. Moral of the story: Try a few, everybody's legs are different, and knee braces are different shapes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

Thanks Mule, exactly the kind of input I was looking for. How are those when gripping the tank like when standing. They all seem bulky and awkward. I guess you get used to that?

These braces, are about one half an inch wide at the inside knee. I was amazed at how out of the box comfortable it was to ride with these. I use Klim Mojave pants and the fit well inside. Rocky Mountain will allow you to try them on at home and send them back free if you don’t like them. I recommend that you measure your knees very accurately to insure proper fitment. This is true for what ever brand that you choose. I ordered large and sent them back for mediums which were night and day better fit. All in all your knees are getting giddy that you are planning to adorn them with some added protection! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

These braces, are about one half an inch wide at the inside knee. I was amazed at how out of the box comfortable it was to ride with these. I use Klim Mojave pants and the fit well inside. Rocky Mountain will allow you to try them on at home and send them back free if you don’t like them. I recommend that you measure your knees very accurately to insure proper fitment. This is true for what ever brand that you choose. I ordered large and sent them back for mediums which were night and day better fit. All in all your knees are getting giddy that you are planning to adorn them with some added protection! 

Well something is happening with the knees, I am seeing an Ortho Surgeon next week. Hope he says I need nothing but time!  When swelling stops, I am ordering a pair for sure. Maybe just grab three different ones and only keep the one that fits best.

5 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

Well something is happening with the knees, I am seeing an Ortho Surgeon next week. Hope he says I need nothing but time!  When swelling stops, I am ordering a pair for sure. Maybe just grab three different ones and only keep the one that fits best.

Heal well my friend! 

• Like 1

These are what I wear under my braces. The ones that come with the Asterisk brand are itchy to me. Since you need to wear something under the braces anyway, I chose putting "one thing" on instead of two separate leggings. Below is a link for similar compression gear that I use. They are great as for flex while riding, and they are like cheating when there is a long slab section when it is in the 30's. Not too hot in Borrego when it is in the 80's either. 

https://www.amazon.com/BALEAF-Compression-Basketball-Running-Leggings/dp/B07WFSGV4T/ref=zg_bs_5888820011_39?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=48ETQF0DHKMVX37K8B3F&th=1&psc=1

I have the Mobius. The biggest reason I bought them was that I liked their structure more than the other brands'. When I compared the leading styles, I was convinced that any of them would do a good job of protecting my knees. It also helped that the San Marcos Cycle Gear had them in stock so it was easy to try them.

I've had a half-dozen rides and the highest praise I can give is that I didn't even think about them while riding. It really surprised me because I expected them to constantly be in the way. Nope...the only time they were an issue was when I had to lift a leg over the bike. The KTM seat's high anyway so they just made me lift a little more. Annoying, but more comically clumsy than frustrating.

They also boost my mental strength because I feel like Robocop.

Bringing back this thread with hopes for further comment from knee brace users. 
it occurred to me that I may want to preemptively buy some of these as I’m discovering I am no longer bullet proof. 
a lot of Black Friday sales this weekend. Seems like the right time to pull the trigger. 

OK, here is an old guy with a full right knee replacement.....I have reason to be invested in this thread and have an opinion.  I popped almost $700 for the Asterisk Ultra Cell 3.0 knee braces

Asterisk Ultra Cell Knee Braces 3.0 - Cycle Gear

Buy them.  When fit properly, they do NOT impact my riding whatsoever.  They came highly recommended to me from someone that's had the Asterisk product for 10 years.  I purchased and have had no regrets.

As for underneath, I found this works nicely

Leatt 3DF 6.0 Impact Pants - Cycle Gear

• Like 1

Like moto_rph i have bad knees. Since BF deals are a short timeframe, i will just give a definite YES to knee braces. I wear Mobius X8 braces if that matters.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Like moto_rph i have bad knees. Since BF deals are a short timeframe, i will just give a definite YES to knee braces. I wear Mobius X8 braces if that matters.  

Seconding the Mobius X8s! 

• Like 1

I’ve recently had some x ray and MRI done. I’m thinking I can get my doc to prescribe knee braces. Leatt are approved medical devices. I was also thinking POD. Will look at these other brands too. 
thanks guys!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zubb said:

I’ve recently had some x ray and MRI done. I’m thinking I can get my doc to prescribe knee braces. Leatt are approved medical devices. I was also thinking POD. Will look at these other brands too. 
thanks guys!

I'm getting the same done in 2 weeks been with my orthopedic surgeon appt. Been using Mobius x8 for last 3 year but they are destroyed now. Either gonna get custom fitted for some cto braces or go with asterisk 4.0 off the shelf.

Couple buddy's have the leatt I would skip and do pods or Mobius instead 

Any reason you're going asterisk instead of Pods or Mobius? I've been rolling the dice for too long, I'd like to get something to protect these ol' knees.

I spent the day yesterday in AZ riding trials with two other pro level ish trials riders and a hard enduro guy. They all use Pods so I think I’m going that direction. Hard enduro guy suggested the carbon fiber might not be worth the extra spend so probably around $500 instead of $800

C2D66F86-39F4-4ADF-BE98-2C028C695DBA.thumb.jpeg.cad57331745c4445ac1b222e09ccddd9.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Any reason you're going asterisk instead of Pods or Mobius? I've been rolling the dice for too long, I'd like to get something to protect these ol' knees.

Mobius are too bulky and the hinge pivot after 2 years started to wear out. Been clunking for last year. Choose asterisk just to try out I like the way it forms around leg and cause already know couple people with pods 

• Like 1

I use the POD K8 and it works well for me.

When I ruptured my ACL and partial MCL, I was wearing a pair of Leatt knee protectors, so my opinion is always use brace, although I'm not sure if I had the braces I wouldn't have gotten hurt...

• Like 2