luna

GPS Phone APP's Android or iPhone for 2020

Figure for popularity of phone based GPS, can ask questions here about apps.

Maybe make a new yearly Topic, as technology improves and new APP's are made.

When recommending a Phone App I always recommend you run, whatever your group of friends you ride with run, eg: GAIA, LOCUS, OSMAND, LEADNAV, etc.

There is a learning curve to apps, it's not plug and play. If you think it's simply buy a phone download an APP, and be one your way, not for you.

For some you'll figure it out in two days, others up to two weeks. Reason it may take long is just the familiarity of an APP. APP's are made to be customized, so there's a load of tools for you to use in an APP. Those tools are intimidating at first.

After you figure it out though, the advantages are tremendous.

The main app, my group uses is Locus Map Pro. One time $10.99 fee. I always recommend you get an app your group uses. Don't go off a forum, use one your buddies are using. That helps the learning curve tremendously if your friends can show you.

Wanted to post a great app I enjoy, worth the $45 lifetime.

https://www.californiatrailmap.com/

k7OCy6B.jpg

Here is my Locus Map Pro, I always ride in offline topo map mode to see the trails, this is just an example. Here it is for Baja. That topo map is downloaded off GE.

VWMwN7H.jpg

• Like 1

I originally posted this in the other Phone GPS thread...Then I saw this one.

Any of you guys using Avenza Maps?

Any pros / cons?

Some of the guys here in AZ that use phones for navigation use it. They like it because some of the National Forest MVUM can be downloaded from the FS web pages to it.

Looks like it can record tracks, but not sure if tracks can be loaded into it.

I don't use Avenza . I always get my app help from here when I need more technical stuff, way more users and help https://advrider.com/f/forums/mapping-navigation.37/

If you do change apps, I recommend free version's first to see if you like it.

From user OHGOOD:

Avenza does a good job of displaying geo referenced PDFs. that's it.
"for navigation try Gaia, motion x, etc on the iOS store...
or REALLY jump to the top and get a $50 Android + locus map pro

https://advrider.com/f/threads/anybody-using-avenza.1416112/

Yesterday we did a big ride that included parts of Prescott National Forest. My riding buddy had the MVUM loaded on Avenza on his Kyocera phone. Avenza was very valuable a couple of times during the ride. Not all of the roads and trails were on the other maps / apps he had on his phone. Can you load MVUM onto any of the phone based navigation apps? It was way better having it on the phone than carrying that giant paper map. 

You'll have to check, but this is off GAIA website. https://www.gaiagps.com/maps/offroad/usfs-mvum/

I know you can convert .pdf to .jpeg and reference to put in an APP navigational map. https://advrider.com/f/threads/converting-mvum-map-to-referenced-mvum-map.1360869/

Lot's of popular APPS are free GAIA, Locus Map, etc,  just download another one on your phone try it out.

No one I know uses that app. Sorry I can't help more.

For all Avenza questions, your best bet is to search here. It's where I got all my info I needed on maps and APPS and how to use them.https://advrider.com/f/forums/mapping-navigation.37/

Just Started reading the ADVrider navigation  forum.  Interesting, the IOS vs Android thread. 

Question ! -  Having my BaseCamp situated on my MacBook OS:  Will the Rugged Verizon Android with CaliforniaTrailMap files transfer in and out of BaseCamp?

Thanks, Just Arrived

31 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Just Started reading the ADVrider navigation  forum.  Interesting, the IOS vs Android thread. 

Question ! -  Having my BaseCamp situated on my MacBook OS:  Will the Rugged Verizon Android with CaliforniaTrailMap files transfer in and out of BaseCamp?

Thanks, Just Arrived

Gov, yes, they are just standard GPX files. You can download them to your MacBook etc. and then into Basecamp...if you want.  But, the one of the real advantages of going this route (phone / gps app) is that you won't need BaseCamp anymore...it's antiquated, cumbersome, slow, etc, compared to a phone and an app.

Thanks - Going to start looking for a newer Kyocera Dura Force Verizon and mount.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

Gov, yes, they are just standard GPX files. You can download them to your MacBook etc. and then into Basecamp...if you want.  But, the one of the real advantages of going this route (phone / gps app) is that you won't need BaseCamp anymore...it's antiquated, cumbersome, slow, etc, compared to a phone and an app.

The tracks, waypoints, etc will but the map won't. However since you probably have CA trail Maps loaded into Basecamp that's a moot point. I'm interested to hear more about what tool you're using to create tracks? I do very detailed tracks using Basecamp and Google Earth together. I suppose you could use Google MyMaps but that's really not a complete solution either. So what do you use in lieu of Basecamp or something similar?

9 hours ago, luna said:

You'll have to check, but this is off GAIA website. https://www.gaiagps.com/maps/offroad/usfs-mvum/

I know you can convert .pdf to .jpeg and reference to put in an APP navigational map. https://advrider.com/f/threads/converting-mvum-map-to-referenced-mvum-map.1360869/

Lot's of popular APPS are free GAIA, Locus Map, etc,  just download another one on your phone try it out.

No one I know uses that app. Sorry I can't help more.

For all Avenza questions, your best bet is to search here. It's where I got all my info I needed on maps and APPS and how to use them.https://advrider.com/f/forums/mapping-navigation.37/

8 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Just as an aside you can get many MVUM's in GPX format for free here:

http://open-mvum.com/

And easily converted to Garmin compatible maps with Javawa ImgFromGPX ( http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html ). I'm assuming there must be similar options available for phone app users.

Thanks guys. This is very helpful.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:22 AM, luna said:

The main app, my group uses is Locus Map Pro. One time $10.99 fee. I always recommend you get an app your group uses. Don't go off a forum, use one your buddies are using. That helps the learning curve tremendously if your friends can show you.

Wanted to post a great app I enjoy, worth the $45 lifetime.

https://www.californiatrailmap.com/

k7OCy6B.jpg

Here is my Locus Map Pro, I always ride in offline topo map mode to see the trails, this is just an example. Here it is for Baja. That topo map is downloaded off GE.

VWMwN7H.jpg

+1 on this

Been running the same setup for a few years now. I love being able to just wander areas and link new to me routes. Grab gpx files from online load all of them and go wander.

Locus Map Pro appears to be Android only.

- Is anybody else using this App for android? 

- To confirm, can the App run both CA Trail Map and E32 for baja?

GF

Locus Map Pro or Locus Map Free Version is only for Android.

Locus and California Trail Map make it super easy to install CTM on Locus APP. CTM will ask if you want to download in your Locus App.

E32 APP is only for iOS. I still make my trails off Basecamp using my E32 maps off the PC, I had already purchased for my Garmin. Why you see some many Blue flags on mine. Those are Waypoints, for Y, T, Left Turn, Right Turn, etc.

Try free version see if you like it if you have an android, or if your group is using GAIA or another popular APP, download any of thoses and give it a try. Most popular APPS are really good, just more learning curve in beginning of APP.

47 minutes ago, luna said:

GF

Locus Map Pro or Locus Map Free Version is only for Android.

Locus and California Trail Map make it super easy to install CTM on Locus APP. CTM will ask if you want to download in your Locus App.

E32 APP is only for iOS. I still make my trails off Basecamp using my E32 maps off the PC, I had already purchased for my Garmin. Why you see some many Blue flags on mine. Those are Waypoints, for Y, T, Left Turn, Right Turn, etc.

Try free version see if you like it if you have an android, or if your group is using GAIA or another popular APP, download any of thoses and give it a try. Most popular APPS are really good, just more learning curve in beginning of APP. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm on iPhone but open to the idea of a kyrocera for the handlebars. 

With so many app options and constant change, I think running similar technology as your riding friends is a very good point.

"Running Off-line"    As you are driving around the countryside, does your map re-center current location or do you need to move the map?

This is all good info, Thanks

On 4/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, Bagstr said:

Thanks - Going to start looking for a newer Kyocera Dura Force Verizon and mount.

Any particular reason to get one specifically for Verizon? Unless you're going to use it as a phone you don't need cell service so I would think any carrier version (i.e - ATT, etc) would work? On a side note I just got a ZTE Blade A7 to use as a cellular hotspot in my motorhome. The A7 is actually a pretty decent phone which I got free from Visable Wireless (Verizon carrier) by trading in an old android phone. Really large screen but not sure how durable it is. It has a USB-C connector which seems to be much more robust than the micro-usb. I wonder if there are any rugged phones with a usb-c connection?

PbdB

The gents on this thread say the Sapphire screen is nice.  Only on the Verizon version.

Bgs

On 4/16/2020 at 6:59 AM, Bagstr said:

"Running Off-line"    As you are driving around the countryside, does your map re-center current location or do you need to move the map?

This is all good info, Thanks

Gaia (I'm sure others apps do as well) allows you to choose either way with one click. Super easy...

Just bought a Kyocera. I am very familiar with OnX hunting as GPS app on my Iphone. 

Has anyone tried OnX offroad?

Which phone based apps have offline satellite maps?

Looks like Gaia has it, but only in the $40/yr package. Too much, I'm cheap.

I'm playing with downloading Google satellite maps (for offline use while out on the trail), but it seems like either the resolution is not high or I'm trying to download too big an area. Any tips, advice?

1 hour ago, amgems said:

Any tips, advice?

Start a gofundme for the $40 a year 🤣

• Haha 1

amgems, I'm on Andriod OS. I use Locus Map Pro(one time $10.99), which is Android OS only. They do have a "free" version to try out. My phone is strictly "offline".

Locus Map Pro, not sure on Free, does do offline satellite maps, you would have to download what is called  Locus Map Tweak

This gives you the ability to download Google Maps.

However you're limited to 10K tiles of download a day. The more you zoom in, the more tiles you'll need to download. I downloaded, Baja from Sawmill to Border, due to so many new gates, or exploring new single tracks, wanted to be able to zoom in, and connect to another trail, or if a rider got mechanical/hurt, have bail outs. I also added an external memory card to my phone too.

The guys on advrider forum are masters of GPS Apps. How I learned to do mine. Here's the link for Locus thread Tons of Locus info here

imyadwF.jpg

This how much I can zoom in on my offline Satellite

88MGzlY.jpg

• Like 1