Slaugo

Desert Dash sweep team II down Heart Attack

How long is heart attack hill?  I don't know if I have ever been down it and it is really hard to tell from videos.

Not long at all. If you’ve been down it, you’d remember it😮

haven't been down it in some time. Is it my imagination or it easier than it used to be?  Maybe just the video. They never look as bad on video as in real life.

First time out (many years ago) on my XR I run into and old buddy on a 426 Yamaha.  I start following him and soon we are running a ridge line, then he drops down, so I follow.  I try to shift into second gear and miss, going down the hill in neutral and too scared to try and find a higher gear.  Found out when we got to the bottom we had just gone down shell reef-I won't forget that!

I never lead (always sweep in my group-when I get to ride) so always follow and never know where I am or where we are going.  I've been down some stuff that seemed sketchy and wonder if HAH was one of them.  It looks slippery more than anything, and like you could overshoot a turn or two pretty quickly.

Seems like I read somewhere that you can't (or aren't supposed to) go up it?

33 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Down it. Not bad. Back up can be a bitch. 

But no one on this site will do that as it is a one way trail - down hill only!

4 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

But no one on this site will do that as it is a one way trail - down hill only!

Yup, Pinyon is two way until the squeeze then one way east bound from there on👍
decades ago it was two way and wasn’t torn up so bad as it it’s now. 

Hard surface and slippery.  About 40 yards with little run-out at the bottom. No place for any bike over 300 lbs. ( Here it Comes ). Rear break only. Or as Schwinn would advise, put it in gear, motor off and use clutch for brake.

DSCN2107_1000w-L.jpg

COVERED IN DUST

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Hard surface and slippery.  About 40 yards with little run-out at the bottom. No place for any bike over 300 lbs. ( Here it Comes ). Rear break only. Or as Schwinn would advise, put it in gear, motor off and use clutch for brake.

DSCN2107_1000w-L.jpg

COVERED IN DUST

I use both breaks.......

• Like 1

It's all about skill level as are all obstacles. And what each individual is comfortable with and understands. Not with a big head because I don't have it, I've been humbled and tempered by world class level guys on world class level sections, for me its about a 2-3 going down on the hard scale maybe 4-5 going up.

Ask Kenny about some of the desert trails used for NHHA especially up in the D37 zone, both uphills and downhills. I'm glad the Dash went well and everyone got through with no issues

4 hours ago, robertaccio said:

It's all about skill level as are all obstacles. And what each individual is comfortable with and understands. Not with a big head because I don't have it, I've been humbled and tempered by world class level guys on world class level sections, for me its about a 2-3 going down on the hard scale maybe 4-5 going up.

Ask Kenny about some of the desert trails used for NHHA especially up in the D37 zone, both uphills and downhills. I'm glad the Dash went well and everyone got through with no issues

National Hare and Hound downhills. 
Not for the faint of heart. 
Full front and rear brake lock ups that go on and on except for the occasional straight drop you just have to roll- fall off. 
Many climbs the same. Sucks getting in a log jamb. I try to make my own line around them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I use both breaks.......

Thanks Chris! I have been lurking about commenting: "what is all the hub bub about the damn front brake?" 80% of my braking is using the front brake, then engine, and then combination braking. One finger, dab dab dab. 

12 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Thanks Chris! I have been lurking about commenting: "what is all the hub bub about the damn front brake?" 80% of my braking is using the front brake, then engine, and then combination braking. One finger, dab dab dab. 

👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Hard surface and slippery.  About 40 yards with little run-out at the bottom. No place for any bike over 300 lbs.

Over the years, we've had quite a few big bikes do that whole section from the pavement to the Squeeze, Heart Attack Hill, to Fish Creek on big bikes, everything from KLR's to 950 Adventures to R1200 GS's.

Wondering what the Success / Fail Ratio is on Heart Attack by bike weight. ( Who is keeping that data? ) There was a time I did it on a 990, but I am older and wiser now. 

:dirol:

33 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Wondering what the Success / Fail Ratio is on Heart Attack by bike weight. ( Who is keeping that data? ) 

:dirol:

I've seen many do it without failure, it's not that hard !

again it all depends on skill level big bike or not, for example watch a guy like Chris Birch ride big KTM ADV bikes and locally the guys in my crew with ADV bikes the lot of them can put a run on most standard bike (500EXCF type) bikes for example.

12 hours ago, KTMrad said:

I've seen many do it without failure, it's not that hard !

👍 can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone fail. 
prolly the most famous KLR route out there. 

It’s downhill, gravity is a law.