Monday's ride did not end so well for me or the bike...Just swollen and very sore, nothing broken except the bike a little. Don't even know what the hell happened. I think I locked the front brake somehow and she spit me off?  Just minding my own business, guess that's when stuff happens!  Video on my FB page.https://www.facebook.com/mike.dean.58118/videos/1302464126612639/

87356922_1301447856714266_4611263565444153344_o.jpg

87785541_1301448783380840_4015498605887488000_o.jpg

87721002_1301448220047563_3664816158256660480_o.jpg

87499446_1301448026714249_8201821749197668352_o.jpg

87795483_1301448043380914_8403149294680408064_o.jpg

87505154_1301448153380903_4542329975998513152_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Holy Sh... why did you do this to you? Sorry and the Bike. Heal fast and slow down.

• Like 1

Ouch....I stay off the front brake as much as possible in the dirt. It is rarely my friend.

• Like 1

Sorry this happened. Heal fast, brother.

• Like 1

Dang, those pics have signs of a good biff!  Hope it is all quick heal stuff.  That knee looks pretty tender... I think I live pretty close to you, so give a call if you need help with moving or lifting anything heavy.  

• Like 1

It's definitely the bikes fault, it looks like you punished it a little. Good for you.

The knee will be fine ,the finger -a paper towel and some duct tape.

good thing your'e young.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry for that get off.

I cannot say what happened on your most excellent Beta caused from the front or rear, what I can say from experience is that in stock form somehow they all seem ( I have ridden many 4T and 2T models) to have a huge hard spike in the rear suspension ramping up/coming into HS comp from fast hard hits ie: from even small embedded sharp rocks.

However: proper spring rates for each rider weight is very important to keep the suspension balanced and in the best travel position (up and not deep) to deal with hits.  I broke my wrist on a Beta 450 race edition that was hours new, I was on a familiar trail and hit an embedded rock that normally with my setups would not even be noticed. I was on the ground before I could react (cracked my lunate into 3 pieces). In that case the rear caused my crash.

I know you have spent a lot on a new bike, but I recommend some suspension adjustments for both ends. Great bike, great base to work from, set up is as normal for OEM a general setup and maybe even setup/dialed in for one of their top tier test guys. This is only my opinion, but I would firstly be sure to be sprung correctly (Steve and Beta US will tell you proper rates for your rider/race weight) then adjust clickers from there and finally if no joy get some internal work done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

Sorry for that get off.

I cannot say what happened on your most excellent Beta caused from the front or rear, what I can say from experience is that in stock form somehow they all seem ( I have ridden many 4T and 2T models) to have a huge hard spike in the rear suspension ramping up/coming into HS comp from fast hard hits ie: from even small embedded sharp rocks.

However: proper spring rates for each rider weight is very important to keep the suspension balanced and in the best travel position (up and not deep) to deal with hits.  I broke my wrist on a Beta 450 race edition that was hours new, I was on a familiar trail and hit an embedded rock that normally with my setups would not even be noticed. I was on the ground before I could react (cracked my lunate into 3 pieces). In that case the rear caused my crash.

I know you have spent a lot on a new bike, but I recommend some suspension adjustments for both ends. Great bike, great base to work from, set up is as normal for OEM a general setup and maybe even setup/dialed in for one of their top tier test guys. This is only my opinion, but I would firstly be sure to be sprung correctly (Steve and Beta US will tell you proper rates for your rider/race weight) then adjust clickers from there and finally if no joy get some internal work done.

I agree, plans to spring and likely hard anodize were in the works. Bummer about your wrist, I feel like I got if easy, but exactly as you said, it happened really fast.

After watching the video, this was my take which I shared with Mike on FB.  I am editing it a little for better reading.

A couple seconds before the crash, Mike stood up on his new to him bike.  Standing up on the bike loads the front suspension and puts more downward force on the front wheel/tire.  It looks like he was also going slightly downhill which increases gravitational forces.  When standing, for riders without a ton of experience and especially on a new bike, it is easy to have your right foot placed incorrectly on the foot peg so you are not able to hit the rear brake lever with your foot when needed.

As Mike came around the corner on the outside, he saw the rocks, target fixated momentarily, and decided to brake/go around the obstacle.  He may have realized he could not hit the rear brake/or missed the rear brake and then grabbed too much front brake while turning to the right to compensate for missing the rear brake. That immediately washed out the loaded front tire which caused the bike to instantly go down and highside the rider.

Over the years, I have had to practice my right foot placement and rear braking while standing.  Getting on the front brake on hard surfaces, with loose top material, while going downhill and standing can be hazardous.

• Like 1

nice tattoo. the wrist was a few years back. surgery and good healing got me back and solid, no worries . I was just mentioning it for reference.

Birthmarks don't go away; that will.  I'd be more worried about that huge ring of hair growing out of your knee cap!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

Today’s look....wish it was a birthmark lol

62F7BFA8-3513-4206-AF65-3C6E8C43618E.jpeg

Good one 

• Like 1

I learned quickly that the front brake and I are not friends on the dirt. I went down fast and hard, before I even realized there was a problem I was on the ground and so was my bike. Some bruised ribs and pain taking deep breaths was my trophy. 

I am certainly no expert or authority in riding. I am just adding another tally from my own experience that I rarely use the front brake on the trail.

Glad you didn't have major injuries. Heal fast and get back out on the trail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erik_26 said:

I learned quickly that the front brake and I are not friends on the dirt. I went down fast and hard, before I even realized there was a problem I was on the ground and so was my bike. Some bruised ribs and pain taking deep breaths was my trophy. 

I am certainly no expert or authority in riding. I am just adding another tally from my own experience that I rarely use the front brake on the trail.

Glad you didn't have major injuries. Heal fast and get back out on the trail.

Seeing a trend here...Thankfully I am retired and this stay at home is not costing me anything. 

Razor please. Call George/Suspenders, Have him massage the bike while your pinky heals.

Good lord that looks like it hurts.