simicrintz

Splitting 2 piece wheel

Working on cleaning up an old '82 Honda 185S and some bonehead decided it would be a good idea to silicone/RTV the wheel halves together.  I've tried prying, utility knife, heat gun, swearing, kicking, and sawzall with no luck.  Anyone have any suggestions on what might work or melts silicone/RTV?  I am not 100% certain what they used; it is grey and still somewhat pliable.

Thanks!

Is that a steel wheel.?    I.E. = Rust

Edit:  Just figured out this is an ATC.

ha ha, I was just working on my 83 185s getting it ready to sell.  If all else fails you could try a propane torch on it (very gently).  What are these things worth now days?

Thank you guys!  It is pliable and looks like RTV, and not hard like JB Weld, so I think I have a fighting chance.  One wheel had nothing but the stock O ring and obviously came apart easily, but one has this crap on it and it is stuck tight.  I tried running a wood chisel through but am afraid that I may have warped the inner piece a little bit; I am hoping that once I get it apart I can bang it back flush again.  I think I will start with gas and see if it works first; sounds easiest!

My son saw mine the other day (I have had it for probably a dozen years and have a wild hair to fix it up now all of a sudden) and picked up a clean running '83 for $500   Parts are a bugger to find (very little support, and guys that have parts want more for them than for a complete bike!) and they have not come up in price yet.  I think they will one day, but I doubt they will be worth a whole lot.  I had a bunch of these when I was young (90, 110, handful of 185S and a 250R) and I liked my '82 185S the best.  This is more about nostalgia-and miles and miles of wheelies-than value :)

I will keep you guys posted when I get this thing apart.  Thank you again for the suggestions, and if you have any more I am all ears!

• Like 1

Good engines in those things, lots of motorcycle parts work for the engines as well.  I grew up with three wheelers on the farm, still sort of have a fondness for them.

Good luck with the wheel!

This year was always my favorite, so when I had a chance to grab this one many years ago I did.  Guy said it wouldn't run and half a dozen people looked at it; I brought it home, gave the carb a good clean and she fired right up!  Lot's of crap in the tank (I saw that early on and had fuel coming from my gas can) so I didn't do much with it.  Dropped the tank off at a buddies shop a couple of weeks ago to have it boiled out and then decided to start working on it.  

I always loved this version, and the engine was one of the main reasons.  Bought a new 185S and a new 250R back in '82 and hated the 250 from day one, eventually trading it for a built 185S that was a blast.  This one will most likely be my goof around toy and yard mule when we move to Utah :)

I got it; thank you guys for the tips!  I cut the tire cut off of the wheel and poured gas on the rim and used a Dremel and a putty knife and she came apart; I am off to the powder coater to drop them off now.

Thank you all again; mucho appreciated!!

Saw that last night on my CL search, Jim :)   That thing is hammered and I'm not sure I'd use much of it if he gave it to me!  Does look like he has an old Supertrap pipe on it that did catch my attention though.

Thank you for posting!

• Like 1