Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

My Ride Home in the Sidehack After the Dash

After the Desert Dash, on Sunday heading home I decided to go from S2 up the lower portion of Oriflamme Canyon to Rodriguez Canyon and up over the mountain to Banner Grade.
Rodriguez was rockier than I remember and pretty damn challenging in the sidehack. Had a couple of Roh Roh moments, had to bulldog it backwards to turn around on a rutted, off camber section by that little building with 2 routes around it.
The only graded part was the upper section by the gates...the lower few miles were rough, but I was happy to make it.
I thought to myself, would've been better to have someone along with me, BUT I'm going to have to get myself through these situations in other countries, so it's good practice.
No photos because my phone battery died.

• Like 1

Good job. I'm still hesitant to ride those canyons after an unpleasant journey on them with a DR-Z. One of these days I'll get out there with the orange bike.

Rode it a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty beat up these days. I can imagine with the sidehack it was a handful.

I rode that a couple years ago with a group of big bikes. There was plenty of Exercise  to go around helping folks pick them up. We put spotters along one particular climb. I think all but 2 ‘used’ the spotters on that hill. I would have enjoyed riding along to see your hack do it. 
I imagine Doc may have gotten a little car-sick!

Kudos for accomplishing that trail!

32 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I rode that a couple years ago with a group of big bikes. There was plenty of Exercise  to go around helping folks pick them up. We put spotters along one particular climb. I think all but 2 ‘used’ the spotters on that hill. 

Kudos for accomplishing that trail!

You may be thinking of Oriflamme Canyon, that's the rockier hill, which I wouldn't attempt to go up with the sidehack.

might want to consider outfiting the hack with a comealong to give you a means of extraction that doesnt require power

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

might want to consider outfiting the hack with a comealong to give you a means of extraction that doesnt require power

I have a winch.

32 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

I have a winch.

With that winch, do you carry some type of stake to use if there's nothing to attach it to?

10 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

With that winch, do you carry some type of stake to use if there's nothing to attach it to?

No.

Stop crying you big baby and ride that garage queen..................................      

Act like you are a lawyer or something 😁😁😁😁

Get the damn trip going already so we can live vicariously through you man !!!!!!!!!!!!   

There was a time, probably ten years ago or so, when Rodriguez Canyon had a section kind of near the bottom that was way worse than anything on Orriflame.  Pretty sure it was once impassible for a sidehack, and probably a very bad bet for any adventure sized bike.  Later on, after a brush fire, the road got graded, including the nasty spot.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, KTMrad said:

I have a winch.

When I travel other than with a motorcycle I prefer a Wench. Not only can they help to get unstuck but they also can bring beer and sammiches as needed.

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

When I travel other than with a motorcycle I prefer a Wench. Not only can they help to get unstuck but they also can bring beer and sammiches as needed.

Maybe, but a wench is very expensive.

2 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Maybe, but a wench is very expensive.

Mail order...nuff said