Sign in to follow this  
erik_26

Front wheel wobble

Yamaha XT250, I am experiencing front wheel wobble above 30 mph on pavement riding to the trail...

Air pressure is good. Balance issue, spokes or other...? what says my fellow SDAR brothers and sisters?

Check EVERYTHING.  Could be loose spokes, rim not trued, bad wheel bearings, defective tire, bad steering stem bearings....just sayin'. 

• Like 1

ERIK,

The bike is not safe to ride until you check everything from the steering stem to the tire pressure.

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you! I will stop riding it and get to inspecting everything. 

Erik,

Hey buddy, we were a little short with you before just because of a lack of time.  What we ( Mimi and I ) are talking about is the following:

1 - Bearings wear out or, at the steering stem, the nut looses proper torque.  Put the bike on a stand and grab the front wheel by the axles. Pull in and out  for the stem and left to right for the the axle bearings.

2 - The spokes get loose over time and can cause the rim to be out of alignment. This takes a little more skill to sort and you may want an experienced tech to help.

3 - Is your tire/wheel assembly balanced. You may need weights. Or, if the tire is way old it could be deforming. Unlikely though. 

Bearings, Spokes, Balance.  If you are having trouble, speak up and someone will offer tech help. I am a better electrician than mechanic or I would step up.

Bagstr

Only at speed huh.. I would Start with balancing. Any weights on that wheel? Maybe they fell off. Rim locks will throw balance off pretty badly

8 minutes ago, kato said:

Only at speed huh.. I would Start with balancing. Any weights on that wheel? Maybe they fell off. Rim locks will throw balance off pretty badly

I have had wheel hop due to imbalance, but never wobble.

4 hours ago, kato said:

Yes, on the trails I didn't notice any wobbling. 

If fact, I only noticed it when I let go of the handle bars for a brief moment. 

I don't know if there is a vibration I am just used to at speed?

add to the other good comments too much rear weight bias (unbalanced chassis set up) add chain worn with a stretch point ( tight loose tight loose and on and on)