Bp619

Phone based gps help!

I like the looks of that mount, Mike. Let me know asap what you think when you get it.

Also, I'll note that I always try to have two forms of retention, usually a tether of sorts, with everything I pack on my bike; GPS, phone, tool bags, etc. Tethering a phone is problematic so what I do is take industrial strength velcro with a tape backing and apply one side to the back of the phone and one side to the mount. Just throwing this out as a suggestion.

Yes I agree. I have plenty of Industrial velcro. I was going to add the velcro on the mount and the back of the phone as I believe it will tighten the phone in the cradle.  I will see about adding  a rubber/ silicone band if it wont interfere with the buttons. Unfortunately the mount will take a while to get here. 

I got my Kyocera today, now a new learning will start again.

The Mob Armor mount came today.  First impressions are light and heavy duty. When I mounted the phone in the mount is was good, but I could move the phone in the top of the mount with some force.  There was no button interference. In the original design the metal tab on top is just bent with a 45 deg angle. I did not like it. I took it to the vise and straightened and put a small bend like the lower mounting tabs. Rock solid! It does not move. A little velcro like Loren suggests just for peace of mind and good to go.

mount.thumb.jpg.504df73a9a4526ae0d6d772287048ace.jpgmount1.thumb.jpg.74d2331d13dab5c717fb220b695046fc.jpg

Bending that top mount point was key. I would have done exactly the same thing. 

The mount the Jim posted above looks really nice. I sent them a message to see if they have a 1" ball mount option

LB/Mike, you have me thinking very seriously about snagging a used phone......

18 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

LB/Mike, you have me thinking very seriously about snagging a used phone......

It really seems to be the wave of the future. The price of entry is what makes it reasonable to try.

• Like 1

I contacted Statmount and asked about a 1" Ram ball mount option. They said thanks for the idea and they are going start looking at it. They offered my a 15% discount code for the suggestion. I'm considering it...I really like the way the phone slides in an out easily.

Chris...I really don't see a draw back to this set up right now. One of the best things is the simplicity. No more Basecamp...

I used my new buy on a ride yesterday around Salton see. The tracking where dropped some times, the map is clear, still have to figure out the mapping/ route work. I signed up for the normal service, not the pro service. Still learning.

LB

So, without BaseCamp, how do you draw a route from scratch before you have ridden the route?

DL

6 hours ago, Bagstr said:

LB

So, without BaseCamp, how do you draw a route from scratch before you have ridden the route?

DL

It's super easy. You can do it right on your phone or on a lap top. Zoom in to where you want to start, click "create route" and build from there. Gaia (and others I'm sure) have the "snap to" feature, which automatically follows the trail and builds the tract. So start at one point, click at the next intersection, and the route will bend to the trail automatically. No more click, click, click every inch or so to build a route. If you build the route on your lap top (and vice versus)  it automatically syncs to your phone, so no more plugging a GPS into your computer, loading the tracks from your computer into Basecamp, and then from Basecamp into your GPS.

Thanks LB,   By the time I get around to buying a unit you guys will have the mount and power sorted.

18 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Thanks LB,   By the time I get around to buying a unit you guys will have the mount and power sorted.

Yes sir. 

For the AZ Peace Trail ride, I used my Montana and also my Samsung S9 in a RAM mount using their rubberband thing.  Will probably use a stand alone phone in the future due to possible risk of vibration damage to the camera. 

For my GPS app, I used BackCountry Navigator Pro.  The GPS tracks for the AZ Peace trail route are very poorly organized and going through them on the Montana was difficult to say the least.  It was much easier to sort through the tracks on the phone. I could easily pull up, remove, or delete the tracks I wanted from the phone based App.  The only dilemma for me was the RAM mount interfering with the Samsung buttons and constantly either turning my phone off or bringing up an App that I did not want.  Going to give the Mob Armor mount a try.  Good deal for the money.

https://www.backcountrynavigator.com/backcountry-navigator-pro

Having two GPS systems actually worked out well and that is what I will probably do in the future.  I used the Montana in the "Auto" driving mode and then used BackCountry Navigator Pro more for pulling up the map and searching around when we were looking for alternate roads, routes, etc.  My App provided a lot more detail than the Montana based on the maps I pre-downloaded for the ride.

Mikey, I was just checking out the Back Country site. Are you able to build routes on the web site and auto sync to phone? The basic web site doesn't offer much. Maybe it's available for paid subscribers?

On 3/24/2020 at 2:51 PM, ADV Bum said:

I found this. It will mount with the ball mount you already have. Made from aluminum with minimal contact to the phone. Looking at the phone it should not hit any buttons. I found this to be half of what others are charging. I went ahead and ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6F8QVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of each size and since going to the Hondo mount will not be using either one of them.

That said if someone wants to try them out you are welcome to come by and pick it up, they do work well Dan Diego used his off road thru baja with the Kyocera fone and had no issues, but you should use an oring at the top to help secure it in place.

PM me if interested, not for sale, and no I won't ship you will have to come, knock on my door, wait at the curb while I place it on the bench and walk up the driveway to pick up.

Social distancing and all..

😁

14 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

Dave, did you try bending the tab on the top?

yes the oring is just an additional safety measure you can use to keep it in place

And as a Senior advice, Use a additional sling with Quick disconnect, like the one on the USB drives and save this to the mount additional. If in a drop the phone gets out, and it will, it still hangs on the Handle bar/mount.

Picture later.

15855968071731019248235.jpg

9 hours ago, DWreck91 said:

Anyone tried the Quad Lock Mount? I’ve never used one but I know they are popular in the mountain bike world and they have a ball mount option. https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/shop-moto/products/1-ball-mount-motorcycle-kit-universal-fit?variant=814115094544

I have not tried it, but it looks like it relies on a single point attachment on the back of the phone.  I can see that getting compromised under heavy vibration.  A clamping device is likely more secure.

• Confused 1

Watching the RockMount vs QuadLock comparison,  shows that the Quad is a case around the phone and that is clicks into place. The review mentions that the side buttons dont function well with the case. The Rock is $150 tho which is a deal breaker for most.

I wish these phone cases had a tether loop for back-up. I think I might try this QuadLock if I get a mapping phone.  That metal slip-in case you guys are looking at,  appears to me a hazard during a crash. 

🤷‍♂️