Bagstr

Paul's Chariot Ride - Jan 2020

P1030438edit2k-XL.jpg

Nice Change of Pace - PMB, DWreck, SCM, Bags

P1030439edir2k-XL.jpg

In Talking abut this ride, Pre-Ride, I asked for an Inspiration to motivate the group. PMB shed his usual " I am just following you. "  and suggested a run up Little Culp and to Mason Valley TT. Well then,  there you go. The gate stands at the intersection of the Pacific Crest Trail and Mason Valley Truck. Outside the frame of the photos, it indeed stops east progress with a sign stating " No Vehicles " ; not withstanding all the truck tracks and wide grading in evidence all the way up from Chariot Canyon Rd. 

P1030440edit2k-XL.jpg

The grading continued as we descended Mason V. Truck to the first sharp turn in the rocky Oriflamme Canyon. With all the grading, I was wondering if the staff had graded out all the rocks on the two mile descent. Nope, not much change since my last visit five or more years past.Reading Mike and Randy's DD flyer, I noted the suggestion that the riders on Big Bikes should have expert skills. I agree. Controlling 600lbs of mass bouncing off the continuous stream of big and small rocks.would be a workout

Once we exited the deep sand road in Mason TT, we made a left and rolled smoothly up to Blair and Little Blair. The RVs were rapidly filling up Blair senior, but Little Bear Valley was wide open at noon Thursday. Looking for more inspiration, we rolled down the pavement to Lizard Wash down near Tamarisk Camp. Oracle's exploration ( Kug ) giving me the idea. Short and sweet with many Ocotillos.  Edit: Evidently Oracle and Kug were in Mine Wash.

The flow of ideas continued from PMB as he suggested Grapevine to Jasper for the return. Boy, the roll through reminded me how fabulous the trail and ecosystem is there. I slowed the group down some as I stopped to talk to two cyclists from Salem on the trail. They were camped in one of those Streeetch Beemer campers back in the dispersed camp area. Nice folks and after answering a few questions I knew to get going as the buds were waiting up the trail. Man that was fun having the open dust free trail in front of me " needing " to catch up. Whoa. 

Jasper was another hoot up-hill having been graded as well. We got SCM back to town 25 minutes to spare for his schedule.  How did the performance at the library go??

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:17 PM, Bagstr said:

The library yesterday was attended by 80+ folks. Today, I've had quite a few people let me know that they enjoyed the experience. A great way to finish the day after having an exemplary riding experience! SCM

20 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

A great way to finish the day after having an exemplary riding experience! SCM

So would you say riding was responsible, at least in part, for your successful performance? Because that'd make the expenses associated with riding would then be deductible.

Check with your tax advisor before investing.

• Haha 1

Nice. Yes, I came across with Kug in Salt Mine wash. But I hit Lizard, Quartz Mine, and any other trail I hadn't yet explored that I came across that day. When I got home, I spent some time on Google and thought how nice (and simple) for some of those washes to connect to Pinyon and/or Fish Creek...Such a bummer that we are closed out of so much of OUR land. I don't think being able to connect washes together is asking too much. After all, Mother Nature is constantly refreshing it. 

Good ride as always, thinking about sliding around that freshly graded dirt brought some perspective to “turning with the throttle”

I think I drove by you guys in the motorhome Thursday on the way to the desert. If I recall correctly 4 bikes pulled over  on the south side of 78 near the entrance to Grapevine. I was busy watching the road and didn't get a good look but suspected it might be the clan. What a great weekend in the desert. It was virtually empty. Guess everyone stayed home for the Superbowl.