We never know what will stand out on our cruise through the park. Always something new.  And so it was Thursday. Quite a sight as CID approached a smooth, hard left turn covered in a few small rocks, flanked by numerous cholla plants in full prickly bloom. One flaw in the setting must have disturbed the Dusty Man. One apple sized cholla digit lay in the middle of the otherwise perfect scene.  A beautiful sight as CID laid the bike over, carefully sliding Both wheels across the hard-pack surface. The cholla located itself in strategic position. Undisturbed, CID simply continued his slide to a full 180 and reached with his throttle hand; having such control that he no longer needed the throttle. Lower and lower as he reached out to remove the troublesome cholla. Gracefully he scoped up the digit to push it away.  Beautiful. 

These chollas have seen many pass by thinking to control or remove their troublesome needles. They are resilient, they fight back; they usually win the battle.

None the less, a beautiful sight. 

11 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

Up close and personal with a cholla.

CID, I felt like the mouse removing the thorn from the lion's paw yesterday. Friends for life!

2 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

What I would do to have a cholla stuck in my hand.......:unsure:

That's pretty funny.

Does the Cholla come with a KTM, or is that separate?

7 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

CID, I felt like the mouse removing the thorn from the lion's paw yesterday. 

Funny!

I felt like a much younger lion helping out the much older lion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Mouse

The fable in literature[edit]

In the oldest versions, a lion threatens a mouse that wakes him from sleep. The mouse begs forgiveness and makes the point that such unworthy prey would bring the lion no honour. The lion then agrees and sets the mouse free. Later, the lion is netted by hunters. Hearing it roaring, the mouse remembers its clemency and frees it by gnawing through the ropes. The moral of the story is that mercy brings its reward and that there is no being so small that it cannot help a greater. Later English versions reinforce this by having the mouse promise to return the lion's favor, to its sceptical amusement.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, Bagstr said:

I like the version where he eats the mouse better:)

Androcles and the lion

A slave named Androcles once escaped from his master and fled to the forest. As he was wandering about there he came upon a lion lying down moaning and groaning. At first he turned to flee, but finding that the lion did not pursue him, he turned back and went up to him. As he came near, the lion put out his paw, which was all swollen and bleeding, and Androcles found that a huge thorn had got into it, and was causing all the pain. He pulled out the thorn and bound up the paw of the lion, who was soon able to rise and lick the hand of Androcles like a dog. Then the lion took Androcles to his cave, and every day used to bring him meat from which to live. 

But shortly afterwards both Androcles and the lion were captured, and the slave was sentenced to be thrown to the lion, after the latter had been kept without food for several days. The Emperor and all his Court came to see the spectacle, and Androcles was led out into the middle of the arena. Soon the lion was let loose from his den, and rushed bounding and roaring towards his victim. But as soon as he came near to Androcles he recognised his friend, and fawned upon him, and licked his hands like a friendly dog. The Emperor, surprised at this, summoned Androcles to him, who told him the whole story. Whereupon the slave was pardoned and freed, and the lion let loose to his native forest. 

The Moral

Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.

Androcles always wore his favorite shirt...it had a picture of a mouse on it.

SCM

The First 58 years were hard. The last 10 have been a slow slide to bliss

😎