Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

Bit the Mikuni bullet for my xr440

XRSONLY had a Christmas sale 15% off on the Mikuni TM36 pumper carb, including an adapter for the XR400.  I bit the bullet after years of screwing around with my old school, FCR 39 with NO CHOKE.  The Mikuni sells for $400 but the Christmas sale brought it down to $340.  (I think they do this every year around Christmas, 15% off everything they sell).

It's a tight fit.  The double push/pull cable run (using stock XR4 throttle) has to be as close to stock position as possible.  It started up first kick with the choke on!  I am in Tierrasanta at 500 ft elevation.  I have a 440 kit with the XRsOnly stainless headers and "cone tip" stainless exhaust.  I have an open airbox with a UNI filter.  Best jetting for me was Pilot 25, Main 125.  Two and a half out on the pilot screw.  I left a 3mm gap between the pumper rod and the lever, as the Thumper Talk folks say the XRs don't like a pumper gas squirt right off the top.

F***!  This thing is a wheelie machine again!  I should have done this a loooooong time ago!

• Like 1

What didn’t you like about the FCR?  I just put one into a 400EX alone with a 416cc kit and cam.....seemed to operate well.  

I was considering getting one for my XR.

37 minutes ago, tntmo said:

What didn’t you like about the FCR?  I just put one into a 400EX alone with a 416cc kit and cam.....seemed to operate well.  

I was considering getting one for my XR.

This was a strange one... no choke.  Cold starts were rough.  Racing carb maybe?  It is not the MX.  PM me if you want to buy it, cheap.  If you are good with carbs you might get it working right.  Looks like this (this is not mine, though):

bba295ff.jpg&key=91775741e506c8ed25822b1

7ce23d11.jpg&key=44fd686d3e3d041367f29f7

On 1/18/2020 at 7:16 PM, tvscum said:

FYI, the needle that comes with the XRSONLY Mikuni TM36 is 9DZH6-50 and it was shipped with the clip in the #2 position from the top.