Sign in to follow this  
Bluhdow

San Felipe

Anyone have any experience/knowledge/tracks for a ride to San Felipe and back from Tecate? I haven't been there in a long time, but it sounds like a fun trip. One day in, hang a couple days, one day out. As much dirt as possible in both directions. 

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Figure it out and I’ll do a weekend trip with you

Haven’t been in years but I have memories off fish tacos on the beach. 

I would be interested in this trip. I use to do a loop from Ensenada but that was years ago.

I've got some tracks. Who has a device that can read .GPX files? I would like to see the tracks and then compare them to Google Earth to get a sense of the route.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bluhdow said:

I've got some tracks. Who has a device that can read .GPX files? I would like to see the tracks and then compare them to Google Earth to get a sense of the route.

Thanks!

Gpsvisualizer.com will let you upload and view it on a webpage. Hopefully that helps you out 

Also check out GPSies.com. I build some of my routes in it, then upload into my GPS. I think you might be able to upload the tracks you have and alter them. But beware, it is rather time consuming.

I'll be heading down there in April for the Baja 250 with a group that is familiar with the terrain. Your welcome to join .

You might have to change some tires or help out in some way to support the racers.

I could be up for that!

In the meantime, I'm going to tinker with these GPS tracks. I would really love to get that figured out. 

Thanks all!

Anyone familiar with Leadnav? It's an iPhone app (subscription service) which was recommended to me for GPS. 

4 hours ago, Bluhdow said:

Anyone familiar with Leadnav? It's an iPhone app (subscription service) which was recommended to me for GPS. 

I'm not sure about leadnav, I've never used it. But I can recommend the Gaia app. There's a free version that's really not worth it but that annual subscription version is very solid. Also, if you want to tinker with tracks on the laptop, you can use Basecamp. It's a free Garmin software. Download gpx files to your computer, then upload them into basecamp.

13 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I'm not sure about leadnav, I've never used it. But I can recommend the Gaia app. There's a free version that's really not worth it but that annual subscription version is very solid. Also, if you want to tinker with tracks on the laptop, you can use Basecamp. It's a free Garmin software. Download gpx files to your computer, then upload them into basecamp.

probable wont see much though with the free map especially in baja

I've just learned about basecamp, seems like a good way to explore. From there, I can use Gaia to navigate. Do these apps hold up even when out of service? 

Thanks everyone for the help! Once I learn a little more about leading/navigating then perhaps I can organize rides, instead of always tagging along. 😃

4 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Buy a Garmin GPS (Montana or 78) and load City Navigator.....the City Nav software has quite a bit of detail down in Baja.....more than you'd expect

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1456

+1. Montana is my preference but if you're on a tight budget here's a pretty smokin deal on a 78.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-78s-newly-overhauled

Who is using the free : HERE App? I use this for the last 5 years. Before the trip I load down the maps I need, Europa, Australia, US staat's and delete this after the trip. Works on and off road with and with out service  all the time.