Vintage Veloce

tire changing

Ok, I'm just not very good at this. I've watched a zillion videos, read directions, etc.

I even posted directions on my own blog, just so I have them handy when I change the tire myself!: https://www.vintageveloce.com/2014/02/detailed-tire-changing-directions-how.html

I just changed the rear tire on my KTM, a new Pirelli Scorpion XC Mid Hard 110/100-18.

Darn, I have a hard time with it. I do it myself because I want to know how to do it... but I'll be in a nightmare if I have to fix a flat on the trail.

New tire, new tube, baby powder, lube, a couple minutes cleaning and checking the directions an torque.

In my own garage: took me 90 minutes!

I've watched the videos with motocross tires, and it looks like those tires are made of soft bubble gum. Mine just don't go on like that.

I want to watch someone experienced do this, with a stiff XCMH.

(And yes I know about getting the tire in the down in the drop center!)

IMG_20200113_161504.jpg

Summertime  put tire in the sun, winter a heat gun is your friend. 

I have supervised many a flat repair on the trail.

CiD

I did put it in the sun today... so it wasn't "cold" but it wasn't really warm either.

Like getting the valve in: reaching in one side of the tire would pull the tire up toward the side with my hand. This meant the far side of the tire pulled in, actually past the hole so that the hole was no longer reachable inside the tire.  I can't imagine having strong enough fingers to push the far side of the tire out of the way! I ended up just getting lucky when the valve accidentally fell in the hole with my hand out of there.

45 minutes ago, Vintage Veloce said:

Like getting the valve in: reaching in one side of the tire would pull the tire up toward the side with my hand. This meant the far side of the tire pulled in, actually past the hole so that the hole was no longer reachable inside the tire.  I can't imagine having strong enough fingers to push the far side of the tire out of the way! I ended up just getting lucky when the valve accidentally fell in the hole with my hand out of there.

Tire Valve Stem Fishing Tool Puller SAVE YOUR KNUCKLES While Installing Inner Tubes

Bring it In The House and locate it near the return or supply duct..  Windex. 

It is not supposed to be fun. All the videos show a front with no rim lock in sight.

27 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

It is not supposed to be fun.

!   Generally I like maintenance. But I've got to get better at this.

29 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

All the videos show a front with no rim lock in sight.

Interestingly true!

Its really more fun (torture) with friends (hecklers)  standing around helping (torturing) you in the wonderful (hot) outdoors. 

It really does get easier with practice.  

Just ride with someone like Bike slut, he will get tired of watching you and take over and be done in just a minute or two.

:)

32 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Just ride with someone like Bike slut, he will get tired of watching you and take over and be done in just a minute or two.

:)

Yeah... ...but then he would have to ride with somebody like me

Feeling your pain.  The Maxxcross Desert IT rear is an bitch to put on.  The sidewalls are very stiff and inevitably your rim is going to get scratched up.  I find it easier just to go slow, use a bead buddy, and take small bites with the irons when you get to the last part of getting the last 8 - 10" of lip of the tire under the rim.  Changing a tube in the field is not nearly as bad has having to mount the tire.

14 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

Tire Valve Stem Fishing Tool Puller SAVE YOUR KNUCKLES While Installing Inner Tubes

Whoa. Never seen one of these before. That thing would probably drop my swear word count by 10 when changing tires.

34 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Whoa. Never seen one of these before. That thing would probably drop my swear word count by 10 when changing tires.

I actually tried one a couple years ago... and it didn't work as well as I hoped. But I keep it around, just in case. 😉

I cheat and use the Baja No Pinch tool. I too have watched others/videos/etc and I still end up taking a long time. My solution is the B NP.

8 hours ago, TrophyHunter said:

I cheat and use the Baja No Pinch tool. I too have watched others/videos/etc and I still end up taking a long time. My solution is the B NP.

Be careful with that thing... I'd at least file down the sharp edge. My review here:

https://www.vintageveloce.com/2014/12/baja-no-pinch-tire-tool-review.html

On 1/14/2020 at 8:05 AM, bikeslut said:

Yeah... ...but then he would have to ride with somebody like me

A not insignificant penalty.

3 hours ago, Vintage Veloce said:

Be careful with that thing... I'd at least file down the sharp edge. My review here:

https://www.vintageveloce.com/2014/12/baja-no-pinch-tire-tool-review.html

Good info - thx. I used it on a couple of tires - DR650 rears, and a Mitas E-07 set on my Tiger. No issues, but I will def blunt the edges. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

This is a good video on tire changing. This is the way I’ve been doing it for years. I use hand sanitizer for lube just because it’s cheap and dries up quickly. 

https://www.dirtrider.com/videos/how-to-change-a-motorcycle-tire/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR02jyri81-6amBXPtYSRazOG9YK4Yq3yxdxA8wheFW_70U_eU7Mcscu12M

CiD