AFM24

Friday 1/3: Warner Springs to Anza

Since I'm still getting used to my 450, I plan to ride from Warner Springs' Lost Creek Road / Indian Flats over to Anza. Casual pace, the idea is to leave around 10, have lunch in Anza and return along the same route.

1777867518_Route_WarnerSprings-Anza.png.97d1caa7352681950d4689e098974799.png

This will be my first time through that area. I've talked with one other rider who's done the route and think that it should be fairly easy over established dirt roads. If there are 1 or 2 others who want to come along, I'd welcome the company. Otherwise, I'd be interested in any inputs or advice for a solo rider.

I'm used to solo travel (mostly on pavement) and am packing what I need to be self-sufficient but still want to minimize those "oh ----" moments.

I think it's a great route for a beginner- good warmup before the pretty easy dirt. There's a couple climbs that may be challenging- remember, keep your momentum. But overall a fun bit of riding.

Excellent ride. Consider going up Thomas Mtn as well.

Do check to ensure the road is open with USFS. Palomar Divide TT was gated closed from Hwy 79 a few days ago

6 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Do check to ensure the road is open with USFS. Palomar Divide TT was gated closed from Hwy 79 a few days ago

Tim!!

It's an entry level route for sure but still fun. Stay on the main route. There is a lot of marijuana being grown out there so going off side routes, unless they are marked, designated routes, is not recommended. I recommend Paradise Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Go east on 371. It's on the corner of 371 and 74. Decent food options are hard to come by in Anza. 

On 1/1/2020 at 2:53 PM, paulmbowers said:

I think it's a great route for a beginner- good warmup before the pretty easy dirt. There's a couple climbs that may be challenging- remember, keep your momentum. But overall a fun bit of riding.

Thanks for the input. I don't expect it to be too challenging but it's a simple way to get some seat time.

20 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Hmmm...that looks like it might be an interesting addition. Internet notes show that there's snow along the trail but people have driven it in the past few days.

8 hours ago, Oracle said:

It's an entry level route for sure but still fun. Stay on the main route. There is a lot of marijuana being grown out there so going off side routes, unless they are marked, designated routes, is not recommended. I recommend Paradise Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Go east on 371. It's on the corner of 371 and 74. Decent food options are hard to come by in Anza. 

Marijuana?? If anybody's growing it at this time of year they'd be a miracle farmer. Or indoors. That's not to discount that some people may not like intruders no matter what time of year it is.

I've been past the Paradise many times but not eaten there since I usually head for the Mex place at the west end of town.

Highly recommend Thomas Mtn as a loop from Anza. That, or the ride to Bailey’s Cabin into Anza Borrego / north Coyote Canyon.

Any interest in this ride for Saturday the 4th?

15 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Tim!!

Goofy Footer is back! You should see what your neighbor has been up to... 525!

21 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Goofy Footer is back! You should see what your neighbor has been up to... 525!

Great to have you back. 

2 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Highly recommend Thomas Mtn as a loop from Anza. That, or the ride to Bailey’s Cabin into Anza Borrego / north Coyote Canyon.

Any interest in this ride for Saturday the 4th?

Based upon the above two reactions, I should take advantage of the offer...

I can switch to Saturday. Meet at the junction at 10 or change it?

23 hours ago, AFM24 said:

Based upon the above two reactions, I should take advantage of the offer...

I can switch to Saturday. Meet at the junction at 10 or change it?

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of cell range. If still interested I could meet you at 10. There should be parking available across the street slightly towards the Glider Port

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of cell range. If still interested I could meet you at 10. There should be parking available across the street slightly towards the Glider Port

I'll be there and plan to park my Sprinter somewhere at that end of the airport. Now it's an early time to bed for me.

11 hours ago, AFM24 said:

I'll be there and plan to park my Sprinter somewhere at that end of the airport. Now it's an early time to bed for me.

PM sent